Page 32 of 432 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

It is nice to see Jean out of the Marvel Girl costume even if it is just for one issue. I can't wait to see the colored previews. I want to see more examples of the X-men Red costume in green and yellow. I hope this book does not disappoint. Jean and Emma are a great team because of how they contrast with each other and play off each other. I hope both have good moments to shine. Hickman doesn't seem to do the big showy "power creep" feats so it will be interesting to see how he uses their powers here. It looks like they may be in Storm's mind? I wonder what is going on with Storm. I hope she gets a good role too.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

The abysmal difference in how Hickman has treated both characters so far doesn't give me much hope to be honest.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jean is there just to apologize to Emma, being saved by her or become her sidekick/best friend

(Emma is a great character but i do dislike these two interacting)
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-30-2020 at 04:05 PM.

BANNED

Jean atomized some opponents in X-Force today. She is being shown as powerful, and a ruthless field operative. Hickman has said she went back to the Marvel Girl mini for the same reasons she did in the Dark Phoenix saga. There Jean went back to the Marvel Girl mini because she started out as Marvel Girl.

I think he intends to write her as Phoenix. Hickman rebooted many XMen concepts. Xavier, Moira, Apocalypse, Cerebro, Mr. Sinister, Psylocke/Kwannon, Elizabeth Braddock/Captain Britain, etc. I think he has big plans for Jean/Phoenix. Especially now that Kevin Feige is the chief creative officer in charge of all Marvel properties including comics. Cosmic characters and powerful women do well in MCU. I’m sure they have plans for Phoenix/Jean.

I hope Hickman writes Jean well in the Giant size issue. I don't mind Jean and Emma letting bygones be bygones, but I hope Jean is written as capable and not like last time he wrote her on a mission

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Jean atomized some opponents in X-Force today. She is being shown as powerful, and a ruthless field operative. Hickman has said she went back to the Marvel Girl mini for the same reasons she did in the Dark Phoenix saga. There Jean went back to the Marvel Girl mini because she started out as Marvel Girl.

I think he intends to write her as Phoenix. Hickman rebooted many XMen concepts. Xavier, Moira, Apocalypse, Cerebro, Mr. Sinister, Psylocke/Kwannon, Elizabeth Braddock/Captain Britain, etc. I think he has big plans for Jean/Phoenix. Especially now that Kevin Feige is the chief creative officer in charge of all Marvel properties including comics. Cosmic characters and powerful women do well in MCU. I’m sure they have plans for Phoenix/Jean.
    I think he'll her write her as Phoenix too. The hints are all there with her codename change, costume etc. I just hope he lets Jean spread her wings and not try to do yet another corruption story with her. Also yeah her atomizing the plantinels was pretty cool, as was her tk light show.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The abysmal difference in how Hickman has treated both characters so far doesn't give me much hope to be honest.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jean is there just to apologize to Emma, being saved by her or become her sidekick/best friend

(Emma is a great character but i do dislike these two interacting)
    Imagine having the nerve to write Jean apologizing to Emma, yet I think it is very possible specially after the teen Jean solo.

If Hickman wanted to proof to readers that he can write Jean, he shouldn't had shoehorned Emma on it. Magneto and Nightcrawler are having solo issues.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Imagine having the nerve to write Jean apologizing to Emma, yet I think it is very possible specially after the teen Jean solo.

If Hickman wanted to proof to readers that he can write Jean, he shouldn't had shoehorned Emma on it. Magneto and Nightcrawler are having solo issues.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...and-emma-frost

According to an interview with Dauterman, he was allowed to pick the characters he wanted for his one-shot. He picked Jean and Storm (his favorites) and also suggested Emma. If anything, the title should also include Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post

According to an interview with Dauterman, he was allowed to pick the characters he wanted for his one-shot. He picked Jean and Storm (his favorites) and also suggested Emma. If anything, the title should also include Storm.
    I still don't see why put Emma, of course Hickman used the chance.

It is awful that Storm is being put in the shadow of these two, when Storm and Jean are really good friends and where there for each other

Yeah, that's totally messed up.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Terrible, The book should have had Storm in the title too but at least Storm is in the cover and in the best alt cover imo.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Well, thank you for pointing this.
    I wish he would have picked just Jean.

Russell Dauterman’s pencils are just *chef’s kiss* Perfection! Also, the yellow & green XMR costume makes me take Jean way more seriously than if she were sporting the mini-skirt. She looks more hero-like in Asrar/Dauterman’s costume, pity it seems to be solely for this issue rather than being used on a long-term basis.

BANNED

Jean Grey is going to get embarrassed more than once in this issue. Thank the gods for Percy as a counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Love the flowing hair. Wonder if they will speak in code like when they rescued Xavier. I hope Jean floats around a lot.
    First X-Lady

I really don't think the writing will be bad. I don't think Hickman has anything against Jean. He wrote her badly on HOX, yeah, but I think he just didn't think through it enough. It was also partly because the issue needed for the X-Men to die. Jean was the strongest on the team, so saying ~Oh, she needs to focus on communicating with Xavier~ was a dumb excuse to have her not be able to just, like, defeat Orchis and save the X-Men. I still think it was awful and that even with that limitation he could have characterized her better, but I don't think it's out of malice.

Besides that, the obvious inspiration/groundwork for a Jean/Emma teamup is Morrison's run, where Jean always held her own against Emma and if anything had the advantage. And especially the silent issue, where Jean shines. And even recently, on X-Men #3, Hickman wrote Jean and Emma interacting with Jean supposedly "winning" their little shade battle.

I doubt Hickman had anything against Jean when he started, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does now after some fans' behaviour on social media lol. I'm not saying there aren't some legitimate gripes, including the costume and the contrast with Red, but the insecurities, especially when Emma is around, are very off-putting. Everyone's powers were scaled down in HoX/PoX, Jean included, but she got to be an important council member and is one of the faces of the X-men.