Page 365 of 432 FirstFirst ... 265315355361362363364365366367368369375415 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,475 of 6479

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Been thinking about the codename Marvel Girl and I realized that if it were free the next step up should be Captain Marvel. So... I made some micro heroes.

Attachment 101779 Attachment 101778
    Jean has absolutely no connection with Mar-Vell. I really don't see how she could end up inheriting the mantle

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Attachment 101767

Is consensus that X-FORCE is the best of current era portrayal of Jean Grey?
    Attachment 101766
    “From the Ashes” Review here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CG0PQSiA...d=1e7odskjao6o
    It's the only one. I mean, what else do we have to go on, Floating Dish Girl from Hickman?

Literally, if she does anything besides faint or fail at using her powers in January's X-Men issue, I'll be surprised.

LUCKILY, Ben Percy's take on Jean in X-Force has been pretty modern and excellent.

Edit: I didn't mention Tom Taylor because I wasn't considering the slate of books that featured X-Men Red as part of this "current era". That said, I do still give Ben Percy's Jean the edge over Tom's because Tom never showed her more fiery side, even if the take was otherwise really great.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 10-26-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    It's the only one. I mean, what else do we have to go on, Floating Dish Girl from Hickman?

Literally, if she does anything besides faint or fail at using her powers in January's X-Men issue, I'll be surprised.

LUCKILY, Ben Percy's take on Jean in X-Force has been pretty modern and excellent.

Edit: I didn't mention Tom Taylor because I wasn't considering the slate of books that featured X-Men Red as part of this "current era". That said, I do still give Ben Percy's Jean the edge over Tom's because Tom never showed her more fiery side, even if the take was otherwise really great.
    Rarely, but I wouldnt say never. He had her blow up on the mutant hater that attacked Kurt in he Red Annual

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No. Many loved Jean during the X-men Red era. That remains my fave
    That would be a bygone era in reference to the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    it should be Marvel Woman, she is an adult now, not some insecure teenager.
    When was Jean an insecure teenager? “Jeen” aside...
    Dr. Marvel FTW.

Jean is one of the rare main characters with a happy childhood in a loving family. It’s probably her biggest difference with Scott Summers.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Jean is one of the rare main characters with a happy childhood in a loving family. It’s probably her biggest difference with Scott Summers.
    It separates her from a majority of heroes when you think about it. Jean having both a happy childhood AND a supporting family was a contrast to the rest of the O5, and most of the ANAD team as well.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Dr. Marvel FTW.
    that's beside the point, she is a woman not a girl, even invisible woman changed her name from the original invisible girl and supergirl is going to soon be called super woman, there is a wonder woman and a wonder girl, time for jean to upgrade her name, "girl" it's too infantile.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

that's beside the point, she is a woman not a girl, even invisible woman changed her name from the original invisible girl and supergirl is going to soon be called super woman, there is a wonder woman and a wonder girl, time for jean to upgrade her name, "girl" it's too infantile.
    But she upgraded when she went from Marvel Girl to Phœnix. And what an upgrade…

I see Hickman’s run like a downgrade, a throwback for all the things she went through and enables her to grow up.

And, seriously, what kind of message do you send when you use the costume and the codename you had when you were a teenager?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

But she upgraded when she went from Marvel Girl to Phœnix. And what an upgrade…

I see Hickman’s run like a downgrade, a throwback for all the things she went through and enables her to grow up.

And, seriously, what kind of message do you send when you use the costume and the codename you had when you were a teenager?
    I totally agree
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I expected Emma to make fun of Jean's clothing or code name, but ... Not even that.

Dr. Marvel FTW.
    If thats the case then its X-Force by default bc thats the only book where she is actually used outside of quick cameos. Duggan did good with her in Cable but that was really on issue showcase and Hickman has played it too safe with Jean

Questioned the suggestion that Jean as Marvel Girl (or ever) was an "insecure teen". Nothing has been given to support that supposition.

Peter Parker? Bobby Drake? Angelica Jones? Scott Summers didn't change his suit from his teen years until he was put out to pasture and then came back from retirement. There are heroes who are still wearing the same or similar costumes from their early days.

The objectionable word would seem to be GIRL. And since SuperGIRL was cited as an example:

Seriously, I'm waiting for Quentin Quire to call her "Marvel MILF" one of these days!
    Last edited by Thirteen; 10-27-2020 at 01:49 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Jean has absolutely no connection with Mar-Vell. I really don't see how she could end up inheriting the mantle
    A connection to Mar-Vell isn't necessary. Look at Monica Rambeau. It's just a fun little elseworlds thing anyway.

Also - I'm fine with Marvel Girl specifically because of the scene that Thirteen just posted. Jean doesn't need to be an insecure teenage girl to use it. In fact, saying that someone going by girl is insecure or weak is inherently sexist.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

[double post! sorry!]
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Peter Parker? Bobby Drake? Angelica Jones? Scott Summers didn't change his suit from his teen years until he was put out to pasture and then came back from retirement. There are heroes who are still wearing the same or similar costumes from their early days.
    Peter Parker is the only one I can think who has reverted to his classic costume after his “black costume” period… But the “blue and red” is timeless and iconic and in the story, it was quite logical.
    Scott Summers? He has no fantasy, it would make no sense he follows any trend.

Jean Grey, on the other hand, is supposed to have some taste in fashion… It’s ridiculous for an experienced woman to wear such a dress. You want to make some impression? You don’t wear out-of-dated clothes that makes you look like a young girl. I don’t blame the character: it’s stupid from the authors to dress her like that. It gives the impression that she isn’t the real Jean Grey and has come from some spatio-temporal flaw.