Page 68 of 432 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 6479

I'm happy Jean is alive.

Do you remember how hard it was for some of us, to wait so long before her return?
    Especially with all the teases Marvel made to make us think she was coming back?

Now I'm just glad that Jean is a part of DoX. I really love Hickman's global vision he has so far for the books, for the line. Of course, I wish he'll give her more moment to shine in the near future. I hope he has a plan for her, with Percy. I really love X-Force by the way, so I'm glad she's on the team. At least Percy knows her voice, and her power feats were very Phoenix like, last time she used her TK. I have a feeling that Percy is not ignoring her Phoenix legacy and history. Maybe Jean being just Jean is editorially mandated. But some writers really love her as Phoenix. The latest one was Morrison. My favorite run with original CC's run. Loved Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and the amazing Cassaday.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Jean is popular because she’s well known because of the cartoons, movies, and video games. I’d say some creators do not find her as interesting as we do. I blame the 90’s cartoon for giving folks the impression that she’s not interesting or powerful. Jean was a complex character in X-factor and still had her fiery temper but she was subdued in early 90’s and portrayed more level headed and mature. She became a mom type character.

I recall Jeff Parker from x-men first class book saying his big challenge was making Jean interesting. I think all the retcons also hurt the character-constantly taking her most important stories away from her (though the retcon has been weakened it still gets brought up every now and again).

Look at old issues of X-factor to see fans writing in hating on Jean because of the Maddie fiasco.

Jean’s major themes are her expanding powers, the Phoenix, and her relationship to Scott and Logan to a lesser extent. My theory is that Jean had so much recent focus and current creatives like that she’s back, but they are more interested in other characters right now. Betsy is getting a push, as well as Scott, Apocalypse, Xavier, etc.

At least Jean is around and makes frequent appearances however some are small.
    But even that characterization isn't consistent or handled with care look at how writers have had her treat Rachel. It's this odd mixture of ambivalence mostly with a moment or two of compassion which almost makes it and her by extension seem phony. I just wish writers would do their homework, Jean can be kind, compassion, and loving but she's also flirty, a little aloof, self-deprecating, cerebral, open to new experiences, etc. I just would like if some of the less prominent aspects of her personality shined through WITHOUT deconstructing who she is as a person. Percy is one of the few writers recent writers to focus on the inner workings of Jean, I love what he did with expanding on Jean's childhood and running through graveyards. It's small, but Jean almost never gets those small little detailed moments, Morrison was the last person to really sprinkle a few gems throughout his run and I don't recall Bendis doing much in that vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    But even that characterization isn't consistent or handled with care look at how writers have had her treat Rachel. It's this odd mixture of ambivalence mostly with a moment or two of compassion which almost makes it and her by extension seem phony. I just wish writers would do their homework, Jean can be kind, compassion, and loving but she's also flirty, a little aloof, self-deprecating, cerebral, open to new experiences, etc. I just would like if some of the less prominent aspects of her personality shined through WITHOUT deconstructing who she is as a person. Percy is one of the few writers recent writers to focus on the inner workings of Jean, I love what he did with expanding on Jean's childhood and running through graveyards. It's small, but Jean almost never gets those small little detailed moments, Morrison was the last person to really sprinkle a few gems throughout his run and I don't recall Bendis doing much in that vein.
    I agree. I loved the graveyard stuff as someone who played in them throughout my childhood. That was a good moment and one we need more of. I also agree Jean has all those elements to her personality that do not always get highlighted. I think Bendis did well with Teen Jean because she felt like the real one. She ha led the fiery temper, the compassion and the expanding powers that unnerved others. In a lot of ways I miss Teen Jean. I just wish Jean was more affected by her -like using the new form of her powers.

Hickman focuses a lot on Scott, but I’d like him to give Jean or Storm the same type of treatment.

Astonishing Member

I agree. I loved the graveyard stuff as someone who played in them throughout my childhood. That was a good moment and one we need more of. I also agree Jean has all those elements to her personality that do not always get highlighted. I think Bendis did well with Teen Jean because she felt like the real one. She ha led the fiery temper, the compassion and the expanding powers that unnerved others. In a lot of ways I miss Teen Jean. I just wish Jean was more affected by her -like using the new form of her powers.

Hickman focuses a lot on Scott, but I’d like him to give Jean or Storm the same type of treatment.
    Eh he hasn't really focused on Scott much outside X-Men #1 and #7.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Eh he hasn't really focused on Scott much outside X-Men #1 and #7.
    You must have missed issue 2, 3, 4, and 5. While not always main focus Scott is clearly the star of the book, the character we are meant to identify with, the insert character for the writer. His dialogue is so good, and he’s sort of the emotional center of the book imo.

Tbh, I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Tbh, I don't see that happening.
    Hickman promised to kick a new storyline for Ororo on her giant size issue

Jean is popular because she’s well known because of the cartoons, movies, and video games. I’d say some creators do not find her as interesting as we do. I blame the 90’s cartoon for giving folks the impression that she’s not interesting or powerful. Jean was a complex character in X-factor and still had her fiery temper but she was subdued in early 90’s and portrayed more level headed and mature. She became a mom type character.

I recall Jeff Parker from x-men first class book saying his big challenge was making Jean interesting. I think all the retcons also hurt the character-constantly taking her most important stories away from her (though the retcon has been weakened it still gets brought up every now and again).

Look at old issues of X-factor to see fans writing in hating on Jean because of the Maddie fiasco.

Jean’s major themes are her expanding powers, the Phoenix, and her relationship to Scott and Logan to a lesser extent. My theory is that Jean had so much recent focus and current creatives like that she’s back, but they are more interested in other characters right now. Betsy is getting a push, as well as Scott, Apocalypse, Xavier, etc.

At least Jean is around and makes frequent appearances however some are small.
    I really don't get what is so hard to write about Jean, now I see why I never read anything from jeff Parker and probably won't ever read.

I wonder if the same people that hated Jean because of maddie, are the same that love Emma even after the psychic affair and Jean dying.

Jean barely got focus after she came back. Scott and Xavier are having focus for decades. Betsy got well serves since she came back, Apocalypse is a villain and shouldn't have all this page time but he is favorite from writers
    Last edited by spirit2011; 03-03-2020 at 05:31 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Jean shined in First Class, don't sleep on it just because the writer found her challenging to write.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of writers struggle to write powerful characters, especially when they have complex personalities like Jean does.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Jean shined in First Class, don't sleep on it just because the writer found her challenging to write.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of writers struggle to write powerful characters, especially when they have complex personalities like Jean does.
    I agree. Jean can be a difficult character to write. Great characters often are difficult. But when they're written well, it can make for some truly great stories. Jean herself is proof of that. It's not just with the Phoenix Saga. In many other stories, from Inferno to Planet X, she always finds a way to stand out. She carries herself with a unique voice and a powerful presence. That's not easy to fit into every story, which might be why they kept her dead for so long. But now that she's back and better than ever, I'm confident she'll get her moment in a major X-Men event.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post

For the fact that Jean was th only female chaarcter, and he had to write Scott, Angel, it really bothers me

I owuld rather x-men received Alex Ross treatment than Morrison. maybe he would had brought Busiek with him

I wish Alex would submit his redesign to Marvel esp if Hickman wants Jean in a dress.
    First X-Lady

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

That Alex Ross design was fire. Very mysterious and elegant. Loved the cloak, and how it put an emphasis on her face, and would highlight Jean's mental energy. The pink would really pop against all that black.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 03-04-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Both the Alex Ross and the Quitely designs would work really well for the X-Force, specifically for Jean. I think a team aesthetic its the only thing missing from X-Force. I just cant buy that a member of a super shady Intelligence Agency goes to missions in that marvel girl costume.