we can be heroes, just for one day

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    some more jean art on womens day

Jean by hughes is always good

Wow, this entire page has beautiful Jean Phoenix looks!

i know right

Marvel's channel posted a video asking some of their female employes who their favorite female heroes were. Jean got two votes, she and Storm were the only X-Women mentioned!

Superfan of this character!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I really hope not. One of the most attractive and character defining things about Jean Grey to me is that she's one of the few superheroes that can still actually be called a hero. There are so many heroes - especially in the X-Men - who are willing to do the whole end justifies the means thing, who are willing to go to extreme measures to accomplish their goals even if that sacrifices who they are as individuals. Yes, Jean recently killed the plant sentinels in X-Force, but they weren't explicitly human and Jean is the type of character that would avoid killing someone or something above all else and only did so in the past when put under extreme duress. The fact that she isn't so quick to kill and has a code makes Jean human in a way that few other heroes are, and twisting her to suddenly have this dark side would sully that for me.

I like the fact that Jean would go above and beyond and out of her way not to harm someone or something but to help or save someone with more of an effort than most heroes would offer. I loved seeing Jean help that baby in X-Men Red not because it was a matter of life or death, not because it was some supervillain being a supervillain, but because it was the right thing to do. I loved seeing Jean deal with Cassandra in a way that showed more nuance than brute forcing it, which for a character like Jean would be easy to do. It's part of what makes Jean, Jean. She can be okay with - or neutral on - other important characters like Charles and Scott doing shady things but she's just not that way as a person and I think there needs to be more characters like her, Ben Grimm, Peter Parker, a well-written Steve Rogers, etc in comics.
    Some of my biggest fears for the character!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I agree, there are enough corrupted, or edgy characters or even good characters that have been ruined in order to make them more "complex". Jean doesn't need that.
    Some times being kind, heroic and good is enough.
    Pure heroes have their own appeal.
    Ugh, it's unfortunate but I feel like "corrupted, edgy" are how a lot of writers connect with some characters and in order to make Jean "interesting" that the route they'll go with her. It's why even now I dislike Ghost Jean, she was the epitome of a writer not getting the character inserting a personality onto her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    It's not that Jean needs to go dark, but as a hero that has to take on murderers and monsters, I think situations where she has to make a tough decision, do the tough thing so someone else doesn't have to, are part of her job description. As long as it doesn't become over-the-top or prolonged. Things like her action dealing with the plant monster people in X-Force are good character moments to have, especially for characters that aren't constantly in those situations. Jean is right where she ought to be with X-Force for this reason and others.
    You know I guess this is the most disappointing parts of being a Jean fan, she has this reputation of a saint, yet has intermittently done acts that directly contradict this idea. But usually when Jean goes overboard it's handled with care, or a product of her fury, however her issue long-term is balance. Jean needs those moments to help highlight her character but equally moments where her heart is on her sleeve. The issue, very few writers want to do that, she's either all or nothing and often what happens is she's neglected as far as those moments which highlights a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Marvel's channel posted a video asking some of their female employes who their favorite female heroes were. Jean got two votes, she and Storm were the only X-Women mentioned!
    Nice, I'm so used to not have Jean as being people fave character.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/interview...ble-marauders/

Seems like we won't see Jean on the book of HER OWN SON. Instead more Emma and Scott

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Nice, I'm so used to not have Jean as being people fave character.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/interview...ble-marauders/

Seems like we won't see Jean on the book of HER OWN SON. Instead more Emma and Scott
    I’m fine with it because I don’t want to see Jean as the ‘mom’ character. Too many fans see her as this already. I think it ages her too much. Let Jean be a young woman again with her own life issues/problems. I know technically Jean is his adoptive mother/ step mother. She has significance to Cable, and so does Maddie and neither should be erased.

But I’m ok with Jean not constantly playing the mom role. One reason, out of many that I loved the Morrison run was no annoying time lost children. Scott and Jean at that time was relatable to me as a young college student. I didn’t want to see them as parents or as older people, just my opinion.

The whole thing about kids I tend to agree with JDW - it ages the characters, makes them less interesting, and defines too much of their story and character. Rachel and Jean are so close in age. Cable should be like Franklin and should have stayed a toddler for like a decade (or more).

Edit; I do like kids and am a really good uncle. I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I’m fine with it because I don’t want to see Jean as the ‘mom’ character. Too many fans see her as this already. I think it ages her too much. Let Jean be a young woman again with her own life issues/problems. I know technically Jean is his adoptive mother/ step mother. She has significance to Cable, and so does Maddie and neither should be erased.

But I’m ok with Jean not constantly playing the mom role. One reason, out of many that I loved the Morrison run was no annoying time lost children. Scott and Jean at that time was relatable to me as a young college student. I didn’t want to see them as parents or as older people, just my opinion.

The whole thing about kids I tend to agree with JDW - it ages the characters, makes them less interesting, and defines too much of their story and character. Rachel and Jean are so close in age. Cable should be like Franklin and should have stayed a toddler for like a decade (or more).

Edit; I do like kids and am a really good uncle. I swear!
    Well the kid won't go away, Jean interacting with Cable or not.
    Characters have to age one way or another or we would still have them as teenagers forever.

I think how Hickman writes Jean as housewife and how she dresses age the character a lot more than kids;

Majority of people say that Jean doesn't care about the kids, now that they live on same house it would be a good way to show more of it.

I just think that Duggan play his favorites in detriment of the one he doesn't like.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I would like to see Jean in there, It was cute what we have seen to far but I have no problem with that.
    Duggan is a huge Emma fan, so it was expected.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar