Page 3 of 233 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

An image that never gets old, by the great Pat Broderick!

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    As far as which GL story line I think would make for the best movie? Well, that’s easy. They should do an updated version of Emerald Dawn II because it’s basically the movie Training Day set in outer space. A young GL/Hal eager to start his GL orientation only to slowly come to the realization that he’s partnered with a crooked GL/Sinestro who is abusing his power, not only throughout his sector, but on his home planet as wel, and then having to find a way to bring his superior officer down and free everyone (including his loyalists who don’t know any better) from his egomaniacal tyranny is the perfect GL story line to animate and turn into a movie.
    Isn't that essentially "First Flight?" (except the tyranny part, but the rest is there including him going yellow)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    To be fair, I don't think we've ever seen "super serious" Hal in outside media anyway. He's been more serious in some adaptations but he always had his signature swagger, he was never some stoic guy with little to no personality.
    I like that for the most part. Especially, since everyone else in the DCAU comes off as so terribly bland. Tbh, the only time I want to see DCAU Hal “super serious” is either when things are so dire he has no other choice but to be or if he’s starring in his own animated movie (which he’s more than ready for already)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Isn't that essentially "First Flight?" (except the tyranny part, but the rest is there including him going yellow)
    No Korugar, no sector, barely any personal dynamic between Hal and Sin, no fight for freedom between Hal and Sin, no banishment to the Antimatter universe, no ending up on Qward, etc. Also, Sin didn’t turn yellow at the end of Emerald Dawn II the way he did in First Flight at all

First Flight still came pretty close to the Training Day scenario, with Sinestro being not nearly as likable as Denzel, which was a good thing. I like they made it crystal clear that Sinestro was a douche from the start. I'm still surprised they got away with the torture scene.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    An image that never gets old, by the great Pat Broderick!

This is oddly satisfying and I don't even know the context for the punch .

No Korugar, no sector, barely any personal dynamic between Hal and Sin, no fight for freedom between Hal and Sin, no banishment to the Antimatter universe, no ending up on Qward, etc. Also, Sin didn’t turn yellow at the end of Emerald Dawn II the way he did in First Flight at all
    Yes, there are differences in terms of details, but the character arcs are the same. If you wish there were a direct adaptation of EDII, that's what you want to see, but I don't think they'd ever do a story that was as similar as "FF" imo. Maybe if it were just about Korugar and the fight to liberate the planet and involve Katma etc, it might be different enough.

New Frontier was perhaps the most faithful outside media adaptation we've had in recent memory. And even there they had to cut tons of material to accommodate the 1 hour runtime. I remember Bruce Timm saying he regretted not making it two parts like they did with TDKR. Hal's origin was still really well done despite that they didn't emphasize as much on the PTSD aspect from the original story.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-03-2020 at 03:26 AM.

Happy New Year, Bored. Thank for the link, love this one.

that show is dearly missed.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Happy New Year, Bored. Thank for the link, love this one.

Happy New Year, Johnny. I liked that one, too. The BluRay covers he did for the aborted third and fourth seasons covering the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night were also fantastic.

Either way. Hal still needs a new animated movie. It’s been way too long. What would you guys want to see?

Either way. Hal still needs a new animated movie. It’s been way too long. What would you guys want to see?
    agree....

about an animated movie... maybe a part 2 of new frontier.

but i'd really want to see how wb would continue gltas, so add that to my wish list.

an animated movie of gl earth one would be awesome too...

I know they've talked a lot about adapting Sinestro Corps. War.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is oddly satisfying and I don't even know the context for the punch .
    That's ok; just trust that Guy deserved it!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES