Page 174 of 233 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3484

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    so... no future state hal?

sigh. again.
    I hope he's not just killed off in some flashback - even if they allow him a heroic death. Better that he just not be mentioned at all. Since it's just two months, if they just had Hal stranded somewhere else with his own off-screen story somewhere it wouldn't really bother me.

Although, how funny would it be if he were trapped in the GL ring that's around Wonder Woman's neck? Maybe he even talks to her - which would be funny since I would imagine they'd just bicker most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I hope he's not just killed off in some flashback - even if they allow him a heroic death. Better that he just not be mentioned at all. Since it's just two months, if they just had Hal stranded somewhere else with his own off-screen story somewhere it wouldn't really bother me.

Although, how funny would it be if he were trapped in the GL ring that's around Wonder Woman's neck? Maybe he even talks to her - which would be funny since I would imagine they'd just bicker most of the time.

^^ Thie biggest indignity there are the white boots....

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

From an upcoming issue of Death Metal?

Ekcf18wWkAADUsb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    From an upcoming issue of Death Metal?

Ekcf18wWkAADUsb.jpg
    Think all of the main human GLs have showed up in the event so far.

Except Simon of course.

Man, that joke of how everyone forgets about Simon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

This is so cute .

Astonishing Member

Look at that T-rex. He's half scared to death. WW needs some sensitivity training.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Look at that T-rex. He's half scared to death. WW needs some sensitivity training.
    Must have heard about Hal's adventure with Bruce and wanted one of her own.

It's only two months and how much it will stick around is doubtful given the relaunch after in March.

That said, disappointed final issues of TGL are on hiatus seemingly.
    gotta say not really happy with the idea of hal getting sidelined...

I can't really say I am either, though hopefully only for two months. Though better than 10 years of being evil, dead, and then Spectre's rebound host at very least.

I'm more disappointed TGL is seemingly on hiatus for this, it's already pretty disconnected from the rest of the happenings in DC to begin with.

We'll have to see what the main continuity looks like when Future State is over.

Let's face it, he's been marginalized ever since the movie failed. We're lucky he's around at all. Getting two seasons of a solo series (plus Darkstars and an annual) while other GL's were in limbo or team books was a blessing. Like all things, there are cycles and as long as he's still around the cycle will swing back to him eventually.

One of the things I realized during my "hiatus" was that I've never really known what it's like to be a GL fan during a time when Hal Jordan didn't feel like he was a top priority. When I was first introduced to the character(I knew about him before that but I did not take active interest in the franchise until then) was around that 2007/2008 period of the Sinestro Corps War. As you can imagine at the time Hal, deservedly so, was treated like a superstar and that was my first real introduction to him. If I was introduced to him about a decade earlier I'd probably have a very different idea of who Hal Jordan was. So when I first heard they were making a GL movie starring Hal I didn't even think twice about it. I was like "Of course it will star Hal, who else would it star, it won't make any sense to be about anyone else". He was the lead guy, the "spark that started the everlasting fire" or whatever he was called in that final Johns issue. In my mind, combined with his founding JL status, that's who Hal Jordan always was, the guy you could rarely ever do anything GL-related without.

So naturally when I first started seeing he was being pushed aside, promoted less and less or shafted from outside media projects more often, it frustrated me a lot because I couldn't understand it. They were doing things to the character that in my mind didn't make sense. Why would you exclude him from this event, why would you kill him off in a 3 second flashback scene in Apokolips War, why ridicule him in that animated film, why keep him out of the League for nearly a decade, why have the New-52 line-up on Fandome merchandise yet have John instead of Hal on it, etc etc. It got so bad for me to the point where I had to take a step back and see the cyclical nature of the franchise for what it was. I think Bored put it best once when he said that just because Hal has been one of DC's top characters doesn't mean he will always be treated that way. That's the part I couldn't realize or accept, because to me that's not what Green Lantern was.

The point in my usual long rambling, that I know all of you here love so much, don't lie, is that Green Lantern isn't always going to be what I want it to be. Hal will not always be the main priority, for all I know he may not even have another solo title anytime soon or not show up in outside media for years to come. The silver lining is that at this point Hal is so ingrained in GL and DC mythology that I don't think he is the kind of character they can easily get rid of, especially given their past history with the character. At this point they'd have to get really creative if they decide they want to get rid of him again, cause lord knows they've done everything from character assassinating him to killing him off to sidelining him many times before. Whenever he's absent from anything GL-related, there's going to be a substantial group of people wondering what's going on. Because of his success in the 2000s, there's also many people, including younger professionals, whose first introduction to the franchise was Hal, and he'll always be their guy because of that. Many Star Trek fans for instance were introduced to The New Generation with Picard and Data and all those great characters, but Kirk and Spock eventually came back because they were the OGs and they had value to the series that just couldn't be replaced for good. Hal Jordan will similarly always have value to DC, Green Lantern or the Justice League, the level of his status will simply fluctuate depending on which characters, aka corporate IPs, WB/DC find best suited to put the spotlight on for the specific era we happen to live in.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-17-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Let's face it, he's been marginalized ever since the movie failed. We're lucky he's around at all. Getting two seasons of a solo series (plus Darkstars and an annual) while other GL's were in limbo or team books was a blessing. Like all things, there are cycles and as long as he's still around the cycle will swing back to him eventually.
    Really????

A solo series in New 52 52 issues
    Optional to count Hal Jordan & TGLC 50 issues
    2 seasons of a solo series
    3 (Dark Stars)

2011-2020
    79 solo issues
    129 If we count Hal & TGLC

How is he marginalized?? There are fans who would love to see their favorite get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    One of the things I realized during my "hiatus" was that I've never really known what it's like to be a GL fan during a time when Hal Jordan didn't feel like he was a top priority. When I was first introduced to the character(I knew about him before that but I did not take active interest in the franchise until then) was around that 2007/2008 period of the Sinestro Corps War. As you can imagine at the time Hal, deservedly so, was treated like a superstar and that was my first real introduction to him. If I was introduced to him about a decade earlier I'd probably have a very different idea of who Hal Jordan was. So when I first heard they were making a GL movie starring Hal I didn't even think twice about it. I was like "Of course it will star Hal, who else would it star, it won't make any sense to be about anyone else". He was the lead guy, the "spark that started the everlasting fire" or however he was called in that final Johns issue. In my mind, combined with his founding JL status, that's who Hal Jordan always was, the guy you could rarely ever do anything GL-related without.

So naturally when I first started seeing he was being marginalized, promoted less and less or shafted from outside media projects more often, it frustrated me a lot because I couldn't understand it. They were doing something to the character that in my mind didn't make sense. Why would you exclude him from this event, why would you kill him off in a 3 second flashback scene in Apokolips War, why ridicule him in that animated film, why keep him out of the League for nearly a decade, why have the New-52 line-up on Fandome merchandise yet have John instead of Hal on it, etc etc. It got so bad for me to the point where I had to take a step back and see the cyclical nature of the franchise for what it was. I think Bored put it best once when he said that just because Hal has been one of DC's top characters doesn't mean he will always be treated that way. That's the part I couldn't realize or accept, because to me that's not what Green Lantern was.

The point in my usual long rambling, that I know all of you here love so much, don't lie, is that Green Lantern isn't always going to be what I want it to be. Hal will not always be the main priority, for all I know he may not even have another solo title anytime soon or not show up in outside media for years to come. The silver lining is that at this point Hal is so ingrained in GL and DC mythology that I don't think he is the kind of character they can easily get rid of, especially with their history with his character. At this point they'd have to get really creative if they decide they want to get rid of him again, cause lord knows they've done everything from character assassinating him to killing him off to sidelining him many times before. At this point whenever he's absent from anything GL-related, there's going to be a substantial group of people wondering what's going on. Because of his success in the 2000s, there's also many people, including younger professionals', whose first introduction to the franchise was Hal, and he'll always be their guy because of that. Many Star Trek fans for instance were introduced to The New Generation with Picard and Data and all those great characters, but Kirk and Spock eventually came back because they were the OGs and they had value to the series that just couldn't be replaced for good. Hal Jordan will similarly always have value to DC, Green Lantern or the Justice League, the level of his status will just fluctuate depending on which characters, or corporate IPs, WB/DC are best suited for the specific era we happen to live in.
    Yeah, I think this can be seen in how every media that uses GL usually has more than one human lantern established; Young Justice (Hal, John, and Guy), DC Superhero Girls (Jessica and Hal), the DCAMU (Hal and John), the upcoming HBO show.