Page 87 of 233 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 3484

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agreed. The idea of Hal and Sinestro being buddies is just... ughhh... I hate it. Sinestro is Space Hitler. That's where he thrives. I prefer my Sinestro to be BIGGER than just Hal Jordan. He's the big bad boogey man of the entire GLCorps... He's their hero gone evil. He wants revenge on ALL of them... Hal just gets his attention because A) it's his book.... and B) He's stopped him before.

In the silver age he was already gone before Hal Joined the corps... and I can almost tolerate Sinestro training him for a week or so in Emerald Dawn II... but Hal was never his 'friend'. They clashed from the beginning. One is all about Order the other... is not.

Forcing a long friendship there always felt wrong. They were trying to force that square peg into a round hole.
    For me, the other thing I would add between them is just flat out jealousy. Sinestro was the top dog, or top cop, in the GLC. Then this human, with a whole lot of potential, from a primitive world exposed him for what he truly was. Then, that primitive went on to not only be the top dog, but the real deal.

Hal ended up legitimately being everything Sinestro pretended to be.

I'm sure Sinestro has a slew of personality disorders that were also triggered by this which explains his need to hurt Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I still like the series, but Morrison and Sharp are getting a little too self-indulgent in season 2.
    I'm kind of just used to that from Morrison to some degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I just interpret Sinestro policing through fear. It was part of his silver age, and post crisis origin.
    I guess that's true in some sense, but I still don't really see the Sinestro Corps. as a police force.

Of course his hidden plan in Sinestro Corps. War was also to get the GL's to use lethal force, so...
    It never made sense for Hal to want to be friends with someone like that, but that's just me.
    For what it's worth I don't think that's the Sinestro Hal considers or considered his friend.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Don't worry. We're all there with you.

By the way, I would love to see the planned sequel to GL Secret Origins that would have shown Hal turning on Sinestro. It was the one bit of unfinished business I wished Johns & Reis had gotten to before they finished their run.

I loved Emerald Dawn II, but it is marred by the dumbass drunk driving stuff, the pointless shoehorning in of Guy, and some inconsistent art. I really want to see Johns & Reis do a newer version of this tale that, as far as I know, has only been told once.
    I had to take off from the internet before calling the Arkham hotline.

I do think a sequel revisiting the history between Hal & Sinestro is needed. I'm not sure I want Geoff writing, tbh.

The stuff with Guy & the DUI should be eliminated. I could be wrong, but I think Geoff did introduce Hal having conflict with his older brother, Jack. I much prefer that conflict as it makes sense for someone to be close to Hal, but not truly understanding him. Jack had to pick up a lot of slack to help out mom, and it is actually normal to think that Hal is goofing around. Which actually may explain the tension Mark Waid showed between Hal Jordan & Alan Scott. In a weird way, Alan may remind Hal of Jack.

I still like the series, but Morrison and Sharp are getting a little too self-indulgent in season 2.
    Isn't that basically Morrison's entire career though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I do the same thing, conceptualizing current events into comic storylines and how characters would react. A great comic can give you an allegory referencing current events, and spin it into a light that you wouldn’t normally think to go in that direction. I try not to close my mind to other ideas, but my family fled Nazi Germany in the 30’s after my great-grandmother was taken to the camps when she went grocery shopping. If my great grandfather hadn’t fled with my great-aunt and grandfather, I wouldn’t be here. The rise in fascism and making white supremacy more mainstream is absolutely terrifying for me.

I’m stuck here just outside of Detroit, and my heart aches for his family, and the protesters getting gassed for asking for fair treatment.
    Thanks for sharing.

Humanity....we just got to do better.

As a kid, I would use comics to make sense of world. I did not think I'd still be doing that now. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone.

These comics are not simply a form of escapism. They are a reflection of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Isn't that basically Morrison's entire career though.
    Yeah, it's low-hanging fruit to call Morrison self-indulgent, but that's just how far he's gone this time. Getting the artist to get in on it, changing art styles every issue just emphasizes it.

For me, the other thing I would add between them is just flat out jealousy. Sinestro was the top dog, or top cop, in the GLC. Then this human, with a whole lot of potential, from a primitive world exposed him for what he truly was. Then, that primitive went on to not only be the top dog, but the real deal.

Hal ended up legitimately being everything Sinestro pretended to be.

I'm sure Sinestro has a slew of personality disorders that were also triggered by this which explains his need to hurt Hal.
    I think a big one is that Hal's success flies in the face of Sinestro's worldview. Sinestro thinks people need to be controlled to preserve order,(projecting his own fears perhaps) whereas Hal is about giving people the benefit of the doubt that if left to be free, they'll choose good.(cuz Hal's about freedom and independence) And it shouldn't work, but he's considered the greatest and that really gets under Sin's skin.

Extraordinary Member

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Since you mention Hal and this is the forum for that kind of discussion, it reminds me of those "Hard Traveling Heroes" stories where Ollie would get all preachy and Hal was made to represent "The Man", but you're right - the Hal we know and the hero we admire would stand up to the Guardians and always speak out against injustice. O'Neil chose to use Ollie for that, but that's really what Hal would have been about. Hal stands for freedom, one of the biggest of which is freedom from tyranny or abuse of power. Johns never gave us a retelling of how Hal turned on Sinestro and got him kicked out of the Corps, but a story of that nature, with the potential cultural relevance that it might have now makes me want to see it as how you imagine.
    It's really fascinating how Hal is kinda responsible for social relevancy in comics. You can tell so many types of stories with Hal at the center, not just exclusive space opera.

I've talked about it before, but what makes Hal so great in my eyes is his empathy. Hal wants to save everyone, but he can't be everywhere. That is how I always interpreted that Neal Adams panel where Hal put his head down when questioned by the elderly black man. Hal is not the type to jump on a soap box, like his buddy Oliver. Hal had more empathy towards Roy's addiction than Oliver, the boy's own surrogate father. What good is being woke when your son is shooting poison in his veins under your nose, then proceed to punch him instead of love him?! In that case, Oliver acted more like the man.

Hal saw the subjugation the people of Korugar endured, and did something about it. I'm sure other members of the GLC knew what Sinestro was doing, but stayed silent. Johns introduced the concept of Sinestro & Abin being related by marriage. I can't help but wonder if Abin knew what Sinestro was doing. How was Abin's world governed? We know from Kilowog not every world is democratic.

I can see a lot of story possibilities of Hal dealing with factions within the GLC that were sympathetic towards Sinestro, and blamed Jordan for his exile. In real life, a lot of cops don't speak up out of fear of being singled for breaking the code of silence.

I'm a Katma fan, and I can see her & Hal bonding over those same GLC members not liking how she replaced Sinestro. Katma also had to deal with rejection from her own people for joining the GLC. The people of Korugar may view the GLC the same way some people view the police, with fear. On a side note, I think having similar histories of being oppressed while later joined armed peacekeeping organizations is one of the things that drew Kat & John together (in my head canon).

It is ironic how often WB tries to replace Hal, or strip away his very nuanced nature, but he has so much socially relevant content to be explored.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of just used to that from Morrison to some degree.

I guess that's true in some sense, but I still don't really see the Sinestro Corps. as a police force.

Of course his hidden plan in Sinestro Corps. War was also to get the GL's to use lethal force, so...

For what it's worth I don't think that's the Sinestro Hal considers or considered his friend.
    We will never fully be on the same page when it comes to Sinestro, lol.

Extraordinary Member

I think a big one is that Hal's success flies in the face of Sinestro's worldview. Sinestro thinks people need to be controlled to preserve order,(projecting his own fears perhaps) whereas Hal is about giving people the benefit of the doubt that if left to be free, they'll choose good.(cuz Hal's about freedom and independence) And it shouldn't work, but he's considered the greatest and that really gets under Sin's skin.
    Quoted for truth.

This is why I enjoy the rivalry so much.

We will never fully be on the same page when it comes to Sinestro, lol.
    That's fine! Different points of views are important .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    One of the few good portrayals of Hal.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    One of the few good portrayals of Hal.
    "Bang!" Damn, that's Hal all over!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

That is one sweet cover. I hadn't seen it solicited though - is it for real?