Page 125 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 3484
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    I'd be ecstatic if they'd just add this scene to the animated version. I recall Darwyn Cooke saying that was one thing he really regretted seeing left out.

Attachment 99290
    The weird thing is, as much as I love this scene, it makes no sense in terms of the story's timeline. How did Hal join the Air Force in peacetime, serve through the entire Korean War from 1950 to '53, and yet still be young enough to be a kid meeting Chuck Yeager in 1948?

All-New Member

Hi, guys, need help here. Which issue is 5:15 of this video from?

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peofrole View Post
    Hi, guys, need help here. Which issue is 5:15 of this video from?
    The black mercy part? GL volume 4, issues 7 and 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like most prequel shows really stretch the material to a breaking point, but I'd be down for a one-shot or a small mini about a pre-GL Hal.
    maybe there's room to explore hal's story even before he got the ring.

if a writer is able to extend the mythology.

like batman's lincon march, james gordon jr., the court of owls...

Extraordinary Member

I can easily see pre-ring Hal having plenty of family drama to explore. Hal was raised by a single mom, and was the middle child of three brothers. I'm also sure things could be tense with big brother Jack, as he probably had to grow up quick after dad's tragic death. I could see Jack being highly frustrated by Hal's free-spirited nature at times, with Jim caught in the middle. I see Jack & Hal as a reverse version of Susan & Johnny Storm. Mrs. Jordan has untapped potential.

I'm sure we could get "a very special episode" where Hal runs into......Guy Gardner. One origin story had those two meeting up before any ring action. Perhaps Hal runs into Kyle's father. Carter Hall may breeze into town for an exhibit.

Writers will always have the stuff with Ferris family. The Carol stuff would be obvious. Drama between Hal & Carl seems untapped, to me. Carl probably wants Hal to die of old age, and with the best of intentions try to keep him from getting into dangerous situations. Meanwhile, a young Hal may have all sorts of conflicted feelings for Carl. Carl may or may not be responsible for his dad's death. But Carl has connections, planes, and Carol.

Between mom, Jack, Carl, and Carol....Hal has enough drama without throwing a punch.

I think we could get at least one good season before Hal joins the air force.

I think it'd be jumping the shark if Hal somehow runs into John Stewart. I'm done with the marine angle (it only worked in the cartoon, imo). I did not buy the bar fight between the air force and marines Easter egg from the secret origins arc. I personally think Hal should be firmly set as Green Lantern before he meets John.

I can easily see pre-ring Hal having plenty of family drama to explore. Hal was raised by a single mom, and was the middle child of three brothers. I'm also sure things could be tense with big brother Jack, as he probably had to grow up quick after dad's tragic death. I could see Jack being highly frustrated by Hal's free-spirited nature at times, with Jim caught in the middle. I see Jack & Hal as a reverse version of Susan & Johnny Storm. Mrs. Jordan has untapped potential.
    This just reminds me how much I miss the silver-age dynamic, where Hal got along great with both his brothers. I miss happy families, stories where the hero's conflict was mostly with villains, rather than their loved ones. Almost no one has good/healthy relationships with all their family members anymore. It's not that I don't like drama, but I don't like formerly good relationships made poor or formerly good characters cast in the role providing a negative influence in the main character's life.

I think it'd be jumping the shark if Hal somehow runs into John Stewart. I'm done with the marine angle (it only worked in the cartoon, imo). I did not buy the bar fight between the air force and marines Easter egg from the secret origins arc. I personally think Hal should be firmly set as Green Lantern before he meets John.
    I tend to agree with this, though I'm really in favor of almost none of the heroes having "coincidental" retconned interactions with each other before heroing. I mean, I thought the Superboy issue with Hal on the same plane with Clark was great (fearless Hal was fun) but it's not something I'd ever want in-continuity. Obviously, of course, all bets are off if we have Booster Gold or someone else interfering with the timeline and the meeting isn't coincidental.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    This just reminds me how much I miss the silver-age dynamic, where Hal got along great with both his brothers. I miss happy families, stories where the hero's conflict was mostly with villains, rather than their loved ones. Almost no one has good/healthy relationships with all their family members anymore. It's not that I don't like drama, but I don't like formerly good relationships made poor or formerly good characters cast in the role providing a negative influence in the main character's life.

I tend to agree with this, though I'm really in favor of almost none of the heroes having "coincidental" retconned interactions with each other before heroing. I mean, I thought the Superboy issue with Hal on the same plane with Clark was great (fearless Hal was fun) but it's not something I'd ever want in-continuity. Obviously, of course, all bets are off if we have Booster Gold or someone else interfering with the timeline and the meeting isn't coincidental.
    I see Hal & Jack loving each other, but the death of their father set them on different paths. With the death of Martin, I see Jack trying his best to fill his father's shoes, and making personal sacrifices to do so. With Hal, who was probably the closest son to Martin, would be inspired to not fear, and follow your dreams no matter what. Jack may have some natural resentment towards Hal that is not over the top. Jack just does not understand Hal. Hal truly respects his big brother, but lacks the means to articulate it. Jim may have to play peacemaker at times.

Both perspectives make sense to me. Both men are following in the steps of their father. I see it as a natural conflict, with no one being truly in the wrong. That's the tragedy death plays in a family.

Well, Hal gets along great with Jim now, so there's that .

I also thought the scene with John was cute, but that's just me .

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The weird thing is, as much as I love this scene, it makes no sense in terms of the story's timeline. How did Hal join the Air Force in peacetime, serve through the entire Korean War from 1950 to '53, and yet still be young enough to be a kid meeting Chuck Yeager in 1948?
    True, I think the book benefited from having the Iris West news story in between those two segments which served as a distraction of sorts. Cooke never seemed to address the math not adding up, and even though I picture his version of Hal as the kind of guy who'd lie his way into the military in order to fly it still doesn't add up right.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    I think they're referring to the instance of Hal forcing Jericho out of him. I'm not familiar with that either - that's a pretty impressive feat. Was that from "Injustice?" (just a guess)
    Annotation 2020-08-03 231302.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think they're referring to the instance of Hal forcing Jericho out of him. I'm not familiar with that either - that's a pretty impressive feat. Was that from "Injustice?" (just a guess)
    Annotation 2020-08-03 231302.jpg
    I think its DC Universe: Decisions. Dealt with 2008 elections and politics coming between heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by AMAZINGTFL View Post
    I think its DC Universe: Decisions. Dealt with 2008 elections and politics coming between heroes.
    That would probably never be released in today's climate...or at least, it would probably have a much different reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would probably never be released in today's climate...or at least, it would probably have a much different reaction.
    We must be living in the timeline where there was no Hal to win the day...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by AMAZINGTFL View Post
    Yes, that's it. Thanks very much!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. But I was asking for the Jericho part, it's DC Universe: Decisions as AMAZINGTFL pointed out.