Page 126 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 3484
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think they're referring to the instance of Hal forcing Jericho out of him. I'm not familiar with that either - that's a pretty impressive feat. Was that from "Injustice?" (just a guess)
    Attachment 99398
    Thanks for your reply. It's DC Universe: Decisions as AMAZINGTFL pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I can easily see pre-ring Hal having plenty of family drama to explore. Hal was raised by a single mom, and was the middle child of three brothers. I'm also sure things could be tense with big brother Jack, as he probably had to grow up quick after dad's tragic death. I could see Jack being highly frustrated by Hal's free-spirited nature at times, with Jim caught in the middle. I see Jack & Hal as a reverse version of Susan & Johnny Storm. Mrs. Jordan has untapped potential.

I'm sure we could get "a very special episode" where Hal runs into......Guy Gardner. One origin story had those two meeting up before any ring action. Perhaps Hal runs into Kyle's father. Carter Hall may breeze into town for an exhibit.

Writers will always have the stuff with Ferris family. The Carol stuff would be obvious. Drama between Hal & Carl seems untapped, to me. Carl probably wants Hal to die of old age, and with the best of intentions try to keep him from getting into dangerous situations. Meanwhile, a young Hal may have all sorts of conflicted feelings for Carl. Carl may or may not be responsible for his dad's death. But Carl has connections, planes, and Carol.

Between mom, Jack, Carl, and Carol....Hal has enough drama without throwing a punch.

I think we could get at least one good season before Hal joins the air force.

I think it'd be jumping the shark if Hal somehow runs into John Stewart. I'm done with the marine angle (it only worked in the cartoon, imo). I did not buy the bar fight between the air force and marines Easter egg from the secret origins arc. I personally think Hal should be firmly set as Green Lantern before he meets John.
    i wonder how people if martin's death was further explored. like say hal found that the crash wasn't an accident but more deliberate.

and somehow the crash was tied to the manhunters and was known by the guardians.

i wonder how people if martin's death was further explored. like say hal found that the crash wasn't an accident but more deliberate.

and somehow the crash was tied to the manhunters and was known by the guardians.
    I dislike conspiracies/connections retconned into the past (has been done with both Wayne deaths and Krypton's destruction now in certain versions), but I can't deny there'd probably be a lot of fans who would go for it. And it's almost inevitable for prequels - in the end, people usually want to see the "present" villains, etc. when the watch/read, even if they don't actually have a place there in continuity.

Well, corporate espionage was actually a common plot in early Silver Age Green Lantern stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, corporate espionage was actually a common plot in early Silver Age Green Lantern stories.
    Someone sabotaging the plane of Hal's Dad sounds interesting. Could be the Qwardians.

Quote Originally Posted by peofrole View Post
    Yes, that's it. Thanks very much!
    Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Someone sabotaging the plane of Hal's Dad sounds interesting. Could be the Qwardians.
    The original plot to "Emerald Twilight" involved Hal learning that the Guardians caused Martin's death in order to push Hal to be the greatest Green Lantern.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    The original plot to "Emerald Twilight" involved Hal learning that the Guardians caused Martin's death in order to push Hal to be the greatest Green Lantern.
    And wasn't thete supposed to be two factions of the Guardians?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    And wasn't thete supposed to be two factions of the Guardians?
    Yes - a new set of Guardians were going to appear claiming the others were frauds. That divided the Corps into two factions with Hal leading the side with the original Guardians. The truth behind Martin's death is revealed, putting Hal in the position of knowing he's right about who the real Guardians are yet despising them for what they did. In the end, Hal would win the day, but enter the power battery and absorb enough power to become his own hero and leave the Corps behind because he could no longer work for the Guardians. A new GL would be created to take Hal's place and Hal would have become a solo hero.

The story behind the story is of course as infamous as the printed version of "Emerald Twilight"!
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Re: pre-GL Hal stories:
    -- I can see a lot of potential for a tv series or some other format outside of regular DC continuity.(not that there'd ever be demand for it at this point) Unless it were just one story, having something set in the past and be in-continuity would have too many constraints.
    -- First and foremost, it would be about how Hal became a man worthy to wear the GL ring. Hal was never the kind of hero like Kyle who grew into the role - Hal was already worthy. I get that some writers found that challenging in terms of presenting an arc for Hal so they made him somehow not ready for the ring when he got it, but for something set years in the past it would make sense. Unfortunately, it means seeing a Hal that's not the man we know - he might be shown to have traits like cockiness, impulsiveness, anger or insecurity. But as long as they make him likeable and plant the seeds of his future heroism, it could work.
    -- In terms of the actual stories, I like a lot of what you guys have been saying about alien conspiracies, Ferris Air, etc. It could even be a good way to introduce Kyle's father, who was a "Man in Black." (maybe season 2 ).... and of course a lot of stories with Carol, Tom and Hal's family. Coast City itself could end up taking on a weird Roswell/Area 51 vibe. I also like the idea of Hal's father's crash being an inciting incident the way Mulder's sister's abduction was for him, but it should be one of those things that ends up going either unresolved or that Martin's death was incidental rather than anyone targeting him. It would just be a way to get Hal involved with the shenanigans.
    -- Aside from alien stuff, Hal's possible role in the military would also play a part. And it would play into the larger theme of fear - of aliens, of other countries, of death or failure, of losing control or losing our way of life, etc... where Hal ultimately shows that he can overcome those fears and even inspire bravery in others.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    Yes - a new set of Guardians were going to appear claiming the others were frauds. That divided the Corps into two factions with Hal leading the side with the original Guardians. The truth behind Martin's death is revealed, putting Hal in the position of knowing he's right about who the real Guardians are yet despising them for what they did. In the end, Hal would win the day, but enter the power battery and absorb enough power to become his own hero and leave the Corps behind because he could no longer work for the Guardians. A new GL would be created to take Hal's place and Hal would have become a solo hero.

The story behind the story is of course as infamous as the printed version of "Emerald Twilight"!
    This story might be worth revisiting, maybe by the writer who takes over Morisson. Although I would still want Hal to be Green Lantern.

It's going to be a big cover up on the part of the Guardians, and have them re writing the Book of Oa.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Re: pre-GL Hal stories:
    -- I can see a lot of potential for a tv series or some other format outside of regular DC continuity.(not that there'd ever be demand for it at this point) Unless it were just one story, having something set in the past and be in-continuity would have too many constraints.
    -- First and foremost, it would be about how Hal became a man worthy to wear the GL ring. Hal was never the kind of hero like Kyle who grew into the role - Hal was already worthy. I get that some writers found that challenging in terms of presenting an arc for Hal so they made him somehow not ready for the ring when he got it, but for something set years in the past it would make sense. Unfortunately, it means seeing a Hal that's not the man we know - he might be shown to have traits like cockiness, impulsiveness, anger or insecurity. But as long as they make him likeable and plant the seeds of his future heroism, it could work.
    -- In terms of the actual stories, I like a lot of what you guys have been saying about alien conspiracies, Ferris Air, etc. It could even be a good way to introduce Kyle's father, who was a "Man in Black." (maybe season 2 ).... and of course a lot of stories with Carol, Tom and Hal's family. Coast City itself could end up taking on a weird Roswell/Area 51 vibe. I also like the idea of Hal's father's crash being an inciting incident the way Mulder's sister's abduction was for him, but it should be one of those things that ends up going either unresolved or that Martin's death was incidental rather than anyone targeting him. It would just be a way to get Hal involved with the shenanigans.
    -- Aside from alien stuff, Hal's possible role in the military would also play a part. And it would play into the larger theme of fear - of aliens, of other countries, of death or failure, of losing control or losing our way of life, etc... where Hal ultimately shows that he can overcome those fears and even inspire bravery in others.
    I'm all for Coast City becoming an Area 51 type of city. Just to give it a distinct personality. Maybe change it's architeture too to be more futuristic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    a rival corporation could have caused the crash.

imagine if it was luthorcorps...

If there were a "Smallville"/"Gotham" type show with Hal, what other aspects of GL or DC lore can be used? (Manhunters and their infiltration agents have already been mentioned)
    -- There can be a Martian Manhunter story similar to what Cooke did in "New Frontier"
    -- Hal's pilot buddy Larry Trainor has a mysterious accident and disappears even though he survived. People around the project are either transferred or die by a series of mysterious accidents.
    -- Hector Hammond was depicted briefly in the comics as a thorn in Hal's side before the got the Big Head. Keep him as a regular in a similar capacity or as the creepy longtime acquaintance /scientist like in the movie. They could even be friends in a Clark/Lex kinda way. Maybe down the line he gets affected by a meteor and begins to develop psychic powers (but doesn't go full-on giant head yet)
    -- A non-Arrowverse STAR labs could appear from time to time.
    -- Mikaal Thomas - the Blue Starman could pop up.
    -- Speaking of "New Frontier," why not introduce The Center and his minions?
    -- New Gods incursions could happen at anytime. No reason to think that Darkseid didn't have spies in places other than Metropolis in his search for anti-Life.
    -- Bruce Gordon/Eclipso could be there, first as a scientist then later as perhaps someone suffering from DID perhaps before he even becomes Eclipso. (or cheat and have him become Eclipso anyway)
    -- Gotta have an episode with The Wrecking Crew
    -- Perhaps they'll establish that there were rumors of a spacecraft crashing years ago in Kansas somewhere ....
    -- ... and then later on, actually have Superman be part of the world where Lois publishes that first story about him and then everyone knows for sure that aliens exist and see how that ripples out to affect things moving forward. In my fantasyland, that would maybe start off the final season after a nice 6 season run. (six seasons then a movie!)

Extraordinary Member

I hope the tragic death of Martin Jordan remains an accident. I understand Carl Ferris having to live under some suspicion of malice or incompetence.

Perhaps this drives him to push Carol so hard.