Page 211 of 233 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3484

Now I'm nostalgic for Omega Men.

i didn't come here to "moderate fan reactions."

i came here to dispel rumors.

you can't react to something you haven't seen yet so there's nothing to moderate.

just letting you know, I have no target on Hal's back and wouldn't waste my time writing the book if it was all or even partly about trashing Hal. do some research, folks. twitter mining doesn't count as research.

folks can do with that whatever they like but i think everyone's going to be a little sheepish later when they see how they got crazy over nothing.

the good news is, the story is going to be awesome, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Random thought, but I wonder if Hal might show up in the new Flash book.
    I don't see why not. Hal used to be the only hero to regularly guest appear in the Flash back in the day to team up with Barry, Wally and Ralph (which is why Hal, Wally and Ralph remained so close after CoIE) In fact the Flash guest appearance in TGL Season 2 was based on an old issue of the Flash where Hal teamed up with Barry and Wally and an old issue of Green Lantern where Olivia gained a crazy amount of power that could've destroyed the universe and Hal chose to erase her memory of those powers instead of sacrificing her like the Guardians thought was best.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    folks can do with that whatever they like but i think everyone's going to be a little sheepish later when they see how they got crazy over nothing.
    Have you met many comic book readers?

Kidding, of course. GL fans in particular are very level-headed.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Speaking of Future Slate......is the Pol Manning identity/story still in continuity?
    Yes. Morrison touched upon it in this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Is Hal always doomed to never settle down and have a kid like his JUstice League companions have?
    It would be nice. Especially after all these years of the responsibility of the ring and the duties that come with it always interfering with their personal and professional lives including their relationship

As long as I find it personally entertaining I'll buy it. If not I'll stop. Just like I do with every book out there. Thanks for responding.

you can't react to something you haven't seen yet so there's nothing to moderate.

just letting you know, I have no target on Hal's back and wouldn't waste my time writing the book if it was all or even partly about trashing Hal. do some research, folks. twitter mining doesn't count as research.

They didn't really get crazy over nothing though, they did so because DC hired a person who's been publicly trashing the main character of this franchise for years to become the new GL writer. As I mentioned before, as someone who's unfamiliar with your work and doesn't plan to pre-judge it based on those comments, to me it's not about the notion of you or DC planning to potentially sabotage the Hal Jordan character, it's about the example it appears to be setting of how a certain kind of behavior can end up being rewarded.

I can understand that you made those comments from a fan perspective not as a professional, but you're a public figure and a creator whose words hold weight for people who are fans of the world you're venturing into and whose protagonist you've repeatedly disparaged. Grant Morrison has never struck me as a Hal fan either, he's often been upfront about his much bigger fondness of Kyle, but to my knowledge he hasn't gone out of his way to make this kind of public disparaging comments about any DC character, let alone a character of this magnitude. If he had, I imagine he would've likely gotten a similar reaction when he was announced as the new writer at the time.

So while I'm grateful that you're willing to explain your point of view and I will certainly give you the benefit of the doubt in regards to whatever you have planned for your GL run, I disagree with the notion that Hal Jordan fans are being unreasonable towards the situation.

I have no interest in getting into an argument, but part of what I'm saying is just this - I don't see anyone "going crazy" here. What I've seen is a reasonable reaction to seeing that the new GL writer doesn't like Hal. This is the Hal thread. We're fans of Hal. Plenty of people have even said they're cool with Hal taking a break. Some people expressed concerns or were speculating, but there were no rumors or overreactions and nobody going "crazy" and I am not happy with that narrative being pushed.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you're going to do. I also hope Hal ends up somewhere where he can shine.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-07-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Only if you assume that not "settling down" is somehow necessarily tantamount to being doomed and is some universal moral law that everyone must adhere to. I like the fact that Hal doesn't settle down and I don't see it as a sign of "immaturity". Our view of marriage as the sole lender of legitimacy to relationships is not some universal law that needs to be abided by (nor is it some "natural law"). Sorry if I'm being harsh in my tone but I see plenty of comic book fans regurgitate this opinion and it's incredibly frustrating to see not being married or in a monogamous relationship being necessarily portrayed as some kind of character defect or shortcoming. There are plenty of other ways of conceiving loving, caring and meaningful relationships.
    I’ve thought something along these lines also, guess cause it also fits in with my view of Hal as a wandering space cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    They didn't really get crazy over nothing though, they did so because DC hired a person who's been publicly trashing the main character of this franchise for years to become the new GL writer. As I mentioned before, as someone who's unfamiliar with your work and doesn't plan to pre-judge it based on those comments, to me it's not about the notion of you or DC planning to potentially sabotage the Hal Jordan character, it's about the example it appears to be setting of how a certain kind of behavior can end up being rewarded.

I can understand that you made those comments from a fan perspective not as a professional, but you're a public figure and a creator whose words hold weight for people who are fans of the world you're venturing into and whose protagonist you've repeatedly disparaged. Grant Morrison has never struck me as a Hal fan either, he's often been upfront about his much bigger fondness of Kyle, but to my knowledge he hasn't gone out of his way to make this kind of public disparaging comments about any DC character, let alone a character of this magnitude. If he had, I imagine he would've likely gotten a similar reaction when he was announced as the new writer at the time.

So while I'm grateful that you're willing to explain your point of view and I will certainly give you the benefit of the doubt in regards to whatever you have planned for your GL run, I disagree with the notion that Hal Jordan fans are being unreasonable towards the situation.
    well. let's talk about that.

you see it as being "rewarded." i've seen this sentiment about other creatives on social media as well.

the two things have no connection to each other and you guys are going to have to learn to bite down on that.

I have a LOT of fan opinions about a LOT of comic books. I own tens of thousands of comics. You can assume i have opinions about all of them. Hal Jordan is, by no means, the most "aggressive" nor is he a character I revisit to "bash." I have basically two big opinions about the GL franchise and they've been catalogued, context-free by twitter miners. The only other big thing I have that relates to Green Lantern is an AWESOME story to tell in that part of the DCU.

No one's required to like it (or me) but, when lies are told about me, I will, from time to time, correct them.

Not always, because that's boring, but, yeah, from time to time.

In a few months we'll all see what's what and who was right, after all.

I like my chances.

well. let's talk about that.

you see it as being "rewarded." i've seen this sentiment about other creatives on social media as well.

the two things have no connection to each other and you guys are going to have to learn to bite down on that.
    I made no implication that those comments were somehow related to how you got the gig, it's the optics of handing over the reins of the franchise to a writer who's made it abundantly clear how he feels about its main player. While you have every right as a fan and comic collector to feel however you will about any character you want, many people were not going be thrilled by the news of you taking over and considering this is a Hal appreciation thread, they're going to express themselves about it when a person who doesn't appreciate its title character is taking over the franchise. As long as people are being civil, there's nothing crazy or unreasonable about their concerns.

I have a LOT of fan opinions about a LOT of comic books. I own tens of thousands of comics. You can assume i have opinions about all of them. Hal Jordan is, by no means, the most "aggressive" nor is he a character I revisit to "bash." I have basically two big opinions about the GL franchise and they've been catalogued, context-free by twitter miners. The only other big thing I have that relates to Green Lantern is an AWESOME story to tell in that part of the DCU.

No one's required to like it (or me) but, when lies are told about me, I will, from time to time, correct them.

Not always, because that's boring, but, yeah, from time to time.

In a few months we'll all see what's what and who was right, after all.

I like my chances.
    I'm looking forward to see what you have in store. All I'm asking for is the same level of understanding towards fans' concerns that you ask of them to wait and see what you have planned instead of pre-judging you based on your prior remarks. Seems fairly reasonable to me.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Comics fans have a regularly occurring "Sky is Falling" syndrome. It'll pass. Especially if the comics are good.

One thing I'm happy about is that they're bringing in the non-human GLs again. I hated the "Four Corpsmen" thing during Venditti's run - so cringey. Morrison has used them well too.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One thing I'm happy about is that they're bringing in the non-human GLs again. I was getting sick of the "Four Corpsmen" thing during Venditti's run. Morrison has used them well too.
    I like that G'nort seems to have hit the gym from the previews.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I made no implication that those comments were somehow related to how you got the gig, it's the optics of handing over the reins of the franchise to a writer who's made it abundantly clear how he feels about its main player. While you have every right as a fan and comic collector to feel however you will about any character you want, many people were not going be thrilled by the news of you taking over and considering this is a Hal appreciation thread, they're going to express themselves about it when a person who doesn't appreciate its title character is taking over the franchise. As long as people are being civil, there's nothing crazy or unreasonable about their concerns.

I'm looking forward to see what you have in store. All I'm asking for is the same level of understanding towards fans' concerns that you ask of them to wait and see what you have planned instead of pre-judging you based on your prior remarks. Seems fairly reasonable to me.
    well.

I'm the writer. the editors aren't going to say anything. i'm telling everybody, point blank, they have no reason to be concerned about the things they're worried about. they should be worried about ENTIRELY OTHER things because this is going to be one bumpy ride. What are those things? Buy the book and find out. But the Hal paranoia is unfounded. Entirely.

Only petty jerks would roll over a book/character like that. I've seen that done. It won't be done by me.

and, yeah, eventually I'll get bored saying so but, also, the book will be out soon and I won't have to anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One thing I'm happy about is that they're bringing in the non-human GLs again. I hated the "Four Corpsmen" thing during Venditti's run - so cringey. Morrison has used them well too.
    I didn't hate it but I wish Venditti had done more with Kilowog.

He did have at least a bit of something going with Salaak.