Page 157 of 233 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 3484

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    he builds them up better than he does the protagonists of the books. I have always loved Hal Jordan as Green Lantern but the way John's protrayed Sinestro had me wondering how Hal ever managed to EVER defeat him. Just as driven, just as brave more focused??? Sigh I wish he put as much effort into showing what made Hal great as he did Sinestro. A hero is judged by the quality of his adversaries but one should build up both the protagonist AND the antagonist. Like for me John's portrayal of Black Adam way outshines his Shazam.
    I appreciated that Johns at least said that Sinestro always lost because he could never anticipate what Hal would do. I don't recall if that's how Hal took down Sinestro in "Sinestro Corps War," but it would have been preferable for Johns to demonstrate this idea and show Hal take down Sinestro or at least humble him again - show that Hal exceeds Sinestro's estimation and expose Sinestro's arrogance for what it was - self delusion and ego. But instead, I think Johns got off on Sinestro's arrogance and never wanted to see it deflated.

Hal taking down Sinestro in the first story arc for "Hal and the GLC" was soooo long in coming.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    The episode is called #ItsComplicated if anyone is curious

Basically most of the time Carol is stalking Hal around, but this time she blows him off, he finds out she's dating somebody named Thaal Sinclair, he gets jealous and starts stalking her around so she'll go out with him again, then eventually he begs Carol to take him back and she finally does. Then she admits that she was fake dating Thaal Sinclair to make Hal jealous so he'd pay attention to her again. Then Thaal Sinclair wipes off his flesh-colored disguise to reveal he's Thaal Sinestro, and he was fake dating Carol to get close to Hal so he could get revenge for Hal ditching him and ruining their bromance (I feel I should point out this is also why Sinestro went from a green to a yellow lantern, and they used the word bromance verbatim). Carol and Sinestro start attacking Hal, Dex-starr randomly shows up to piss Jessica off, Jessica tells Hal this is all his fault and he needs to apologize to them. Hal apologizes saying that if he wasn't so cool and handsome Carol wouldn't be so obsessed with him and if he wasn't so awesome and fun to hang out with then Sinestro wouldn't have been so sad when Hal ditched him. Jessica is pretty sure they're about to kill him but instead they forgive him and everybody hugs (Dex-starr says he loves Hal because he tastes like steak sauce). Then they all fly off happily Jessica is stunned that Hal's non-apology somehow worked.

Long summary but like the episode title says it's complicated. lol
    I wonder if Jess has a secret crush on Hal in this show.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I appreciated that Johns at least said that Sinestro always lost because he could never anticipate what Hal would do. I don't recall if that's how Hal took down Sinestro in "Sinestro Corps War," but it would have been preferable for Johns to demonstrate this idea and show Hal take down Sinestro or at least humble him again - show that Hal exceeds Sinestro's estimation and expose Sinestro's arrogance for what it was - self delusion and ego. But instead, I think Johns got off on Sinestro's arrogance and never wanted to see it deflated.
    I'd say it's pretty accurate because I don't think Sinestro expected a de-powered Hal (and Kyle) to de-power him and then beat the tar out of him in a fistfight and arrest him like a common crook.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think that's Johns tendency to want to get into villains' heads. When I read his Superman or Captain Marvel stuff, always get the sense he's more interested in Luthor and Black Adam than the former two.
    I had the same vibes back then.

Glad that Morisson is focusing on the hero in TGL.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    he builds them up better than he does the protagonists of the books. I have always loved Hal Jordan as Green Lantern but the way John's protrayed Sinestro had me wondering how Hal ever managed to EVER defeat him. Just as driven, just as brave more focused??? Sigh I wish he put as much effort into showing what made Hal great as he did Sinestro. A hero is judged by the quality of his adversaries but one should build up both the protagonist AND the antagonist. Like for me John's portrayal of Black Adam way outshines his Shazam.
    I think Johns had shown many times Hal's quick-wittedness, how he managed to turn stumbling blocks into building blocks in a desperate situation. One of my favourite moments is Hal using the Manhunter's head to charge his ring when they were falling down.
    Sinestro used parallax to destroy Hal yet he came back. After that, Hal led all the heros to defeat Nekron. He killed Krona when his will surpassed all the seven emotional entities. He sacrificed himself without hesitation and summoned Nekron to defeat the first lantern.
    Agreed, Hal is not as rigorous, or meticulous, or scheming as Sinestro. But Hal is the only person Sinestro wholeheartedly respects, admires, even trusts. "He was the spark that started the everlasting fire." That's how Sinestro sees Hal.
    I think Johns did a fantastic job showing why Sinestro is Hal's lifetime archenemy. And it's important for the protagonist of the book. A hero needs his match.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 09-25-2020 at 03:16 AM.

BANNED

This page is as classic as Morrison can be. A space cop confronting a biblical God. Where else you will find something like this?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    This page is as classic as Morrison can be. A space cop confronting a biblical God. Where else you will find something like this?
    Hal Jordan arresting God is still my favorite moment in this entire run so far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Hal Jordan arresting God is still my favorite moment in this entire run so far.
    My favorite moment is still the Emerald World, but this would be a close second. Though, what this issue cemented it for me is Liam Sharp's beautiful's art.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    My favorite moment is still the Emerald World, but this would be a close second. Though, what this issue cemented it for me is Liam Sharp's beautiful's art.
    Yeah, TGL and his WW stuff have made Sharp one of my favorite DC artists at the moment.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-25-2020 at 06:09 AM.

Hal's more introspective side - one thing I find I wish was in the Morrison run was a little insight into what's going on inside Hal's head.

Capture.jpg
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

you'd think this was a dc event level threat. but with grant, it's just a normal day for hal.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    you'd think this was a dc event level threat. but with grant, it's just a normal day for hal.
    Must be why he's not much of a presence in Death Metal, after all Hal's seen it must barely register with him.