Page 170 of 201 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 3012
  1. #2536
    Astonishing Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    Americans have this strange tendency to adapt stuff and then make it in stark contrast to the source material in many ways, and I think it ultimately causes friction down the road. Adapting Sinestro without Hal Jordan...it's like, you can do that...but why?

    In the end it will cause tension within the fanbase, because people are going to be like "why do they keep giving these underdeveloped characters Hal's stuff. Why not just use Hal?" And hypothetical people who become Green Lantern fans from this show would end up being misled, and those types of criticisms will be what they're greeted with when they explore the mythology and fanbase more.

    Like...when Sailor Moon gets adapted, the main character is Sailor Moon. It's not Sailor Mercury and Sailor Mercury is in a relationship with Tuxedo Mask, but that's kind of how Americans would do things if they were behind it. And those Sailor Scouts would mos. def be getting their races bent all to hell. And all of that would cause friction and confuse fans.
    When Sailor Moon fans get into Sailor Moon fandom from watching cartoons everything is normal and no one is greatly confused, and if they fight with each other, it's over the quality an English dub or something...it's never like the main Sailor Scout should be Sailor Mercury. It's just really weird, and I think it stems from laziness. The Americans often tend to want an end result without putting in the foundational effort. They want to use these characters instead of Hal Jordan (for whatever reason), but then they realize these other GL's were never built up sufficiently enough to get by without aping the stuff that was specifically meant for Hal Jordan's character.

    And just to be clear, I'm pretty ambivalent to all these characters, but I do think the situation is weird and bad.
    Largely the nature of superhero adaptations. Films or shows tend pull from across multiple eras and or only take the most general stuff because of the comics long-running nature and, noticeably in DC's case, multiple reboots. The Reeves Superman films and 90s Batman films weren't really like what their source material had been like or were at the time. The Wonder Woman film is a hodgepodge of several elements from her history rather than one writer or vision.

    Guess just in the case of GL where there's multiple co-existing characters with the name, it's inevitable when an adaptation comes it'll pull from stuff not developed for them.

  2. #2537
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't really see Jessica and Simon playing off Sinestro like Hal would. Maybe Guy, but it would still feel weird.

    It's just weird putting Sinestro in a show with a bunch of GL's he's barely connected to or cares about. I mean, he helped make Simon a GL (technically) but that's it.
    Sinestro is the bad guy and fights against the Corps. What else do you really need to know about him? They can start from scratch since this is a tv show and in no way a depiction of the comics - they can make Baz Sinestro's illegitimate son if they want or have him be the reason for Jessica's PTSD, etc... We've had tons of comic book movies/tv shows that don't follow the comics at this point. They will create whatever dynamic they want within the show regardless of what the comics did.

  3. #2538
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,778

    Default

    I was really hoping to see Hal and HIS story get told and explored in other media besides comics.

    So Hal and his family. Coasr City. Hal' relationship with Carol and Saphire (and maybe the Predator). Hal's trining with Sinestro and how the student took down the master. Hal's friendship with Tom, Barry and Oliver. And by extension Dinah, Wally and Roy. Hal's rouges like Hector, Black Hand, Evil Star, Goldface, the Shark. Hal as a founding member of JLA.

    Sigh.

  4. #2539
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,786

    Default

    Some "scoopers" are claiming the show should would take the slow build with Hal. It would hint at him at first and gradually build towards his introduction, especially given Sinestro's presence, but I don't think I really buy that. You'd have plans for arguably the most recognizable character in the franchise and not only won't make him one of the main characters but won't even mention that he would appear on the show during the announcement? It was hardly a surprise that Hal is absent given the supposed movie plans and let's be fair, there's no way to do a GL show without using some of his stuff if he isn't there so that's no surprise either, the sad part for me is that GL has always worked well on TV and Hal could really benefit from that.

    Given the global situation and the movie industry suffering as much as it does, even if there are some huge developments with the GLC movie on the horizon, what guarantees that WB won't decide they don't need to spend all that money on a movie that may not even end up playing in theaters for all they know. At this point Hal's future seems really uncertain in outside media, and even in the comics we have no idea what will happen to him post-Morrison and Sharp. This kind of uncertainty is what used to frustrate me that much, I'm not going back to that state of mind but unless this show is somehow connected to the DCEU and this is the reason why Hal and John are not in it, then it feels like just another horribly missed opportunity to potentially do Hal justice.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-11-2020 at 01:49 AM.

  5. #2540
    Astonishing Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,414

    Default


  6. #2541
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This is awesome!

  7. #2542
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Given the global situation and the movie industry suffering as much as it does, even if there are some huge developments with the GLC movie on the horizon, what guarantees that WB won't decide they don't need to spend all that money on a movie that may not even end up playing in theaters for all they know. At this point Hal's future seems really uncertain in outside media, and even in the comics we have no idea what will happen to him post-Morrison and Sharp. This kind of uncertainty is what used to frustrate me that much, I'm not going back to that state of mind but unless this show is somehow connected to the DCEU and this is the reason why Hal and John are not in it, then it feels like just another horribly missed opportunity to potentially do Hal justice.
    First: welcome back! (not sure I said it yet)

    And I share your frustration with the uncertain future for Hal and the comics post-Morrison. But on the positive side, I think Morrison and Sharp will be a vastly better (and hopefully temporary) note to go out on if there are no further plans than Emerald Twilight was. And I'm actually relieved John and Kyle aren't present for the show, because at least it means he isn't being singled out for some lame reasoning.

  8. #2543
    Astonishing Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    First: welcome back! (not sure I said it yet)

    And I share your frustration with the uncertain future for Hal and the comics post-Morrison. But on the positive side, I think Morrison and Sharp will be a vastly better (and hopefully temporary) note to go out on if there are no further plans than Emerald Twilight was. And I'm actually relieved John and Kyle aren't present for the show, because at least it means he isn't being singled out for some lame reasoning.
    All those Hal vs. John vs. Kyle arguments and only for Guy to swoop in and get the show.

  9. #2544
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This is the kind of thing that makes me day dream about becomig a billionaire and traveling back in time just to make it happen.

  10. #2545
    Astonishing Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    This is the kind of thing that makes me day dream about becomig a billionaire and traveling back in time just to make it happen.
    I can certainly see Newman's more notable roles (Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) influence in Morrison's Hal.

  11. #2546
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

  12. #2547
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    All those Hal vs. John vs. Kyle arguments and only for Guy to swoop in and get the show.
    I feel the same way. I can't help but laugh.

  13. #2548
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    57,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Sinestro is the bad guy and fights against the Corps. What else do you really need to know about him? They can start from scratch since this is a tv show and in no way a depiction of the comics - they can make Baz Sinestro's illegitimate son if they want or have him be the reason for Jessica's PTSD, etc... We've had tons of comic book movies/tv shows that don't follow the comics at this point. They will create whatever dynamic they want within the show regardless of what the comics did.
    I mean, they're free to adapt however they like but I feel like you're missing something with Sinestro without that background and dynamic with Hal, unless they give it to somebody else.

    I wonder if Soranik will show up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This actually doesn't look half bad .

  14. #2549
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    All those Hal vs. John vs. Kyle arguments and only for Guy to swoop in and get the show.
    Guy right now:


  15. #2550
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    57,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Guy right now:

    Somehow I'm not surprised .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •