Page 202 of 233 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202203204205206212 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 3484
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Hal has had complicated relationships with his big brother (less so with his younger brother). I kinda viewed it as Hal projecting a bit on Superman as his idealized big brother figure and Clark, an only child, being a little unsure how to take it.

It's subtext and I don't think I'd ever want Bendis or anyone else to underline too deeply, but that's how I've always viewed it. Supes & Hal are the two biggest guns in the DCU in terms of raw power, yet Hal always feels lesser than in comparison to Superman and Hal Jordan almost never feels lesser than.

Hal/Supes and Hal/Bats are both interesting relationships. It's a shame that Hal/Diana never gets explored much.
    IMO, I've viewed Hal and Bruce as having an arm's length relationship, not fully friends, but not full blown rivals or even enemies either, perhaps frenemies instead. Bruce gets his rocks off on making everyone fear him, something that doesn't work on Hal who tends to find Bruce something of an ******* with that aforementioned scthick. As for Hal and Diana, I've never seen anything there, I've viewed them as comrades, teammates, nothing more, oh, I'm sure Hal could charm the tiara off Diana, but only if she allowed him to. However, seeing the two of them out of uniform and on a date would make for a cool story I think.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-04-2020 at 03:30 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Hal has had complicated relationships with his big brother (less so with his younger brother).
    Which I really hate. They were totally buds in the silver age, and his brother was a great guy. But no actual happy families are allowed to exist. And family members have to be retconned to jackasses. Yuck.

I kinda viewed it as Hal projecting a bit on Superman as his idealized big brother figure and Clark, an only child, being a little unsure how to take it.
    That is just completely wrong to me. I don't think Hal needs a big brother (even if he didn't have one or didn't have a good relationship with his) and wouldn't cast Superman in role, anyway. It's just not them to me. Plus them actually being similarly aged, as previously mentioned.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-04-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    IMO, I've viewed Hal and Bruce as having an arm's length relationship, not fully friends, but not full blown rivals or even enemies either, perhaps frenemies instead. Bruce gets his rocks off on making everyone fear him, something that doesn't work on Hal who tends to find Bruce something of an ******* with that aforementioned scthick. As for Hal and Diana, I've never seen anything there, I've viewed them as comrades, teammates, nothing more, oh, I'm sure Hal could charm the tiara off Diana, but only if she allowed him to. However, seeing the two of them out of uniform and on a date would make for a cool story I think.
    I always thought there'd something interesting to explore since they both occupy fairly separate portions of the DC Universe and it's largely a blank slate of a relationship for the most part, so a writer would be rather free to go about it how they wanted.

They have the shared experience of punching Bruce when he was in full Bat-Dick mode so there's something they could laugh about together.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Which I really hate. They were totally buds in the silver age, and his brother was a great guy. But no actual happy families are allowed to exist. And family members have to be retconned to jackasses. Yuck.

That is just completely wrong to me. I don't think Hal needs a big brother (even if he didn't have one or didn't have a good relationship with his) and wouldn't cast Superman in role, anyway. It's just not them to me. Plus them actually being similarly aged, as previously mentioned.
    I hear you on the demise of the Jordan brothers being tight. They were very much going for a Kennedy brothers vibe. That said, as much as Johns added some strife, he did show Hal and Jim becoming close again. And the DeMatties Spectre showed how devoted Jack was to Hal.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I have no problem with Hal not being overly close with Clark or Bruce, because of his tight bonds with Barry and Ollie. If anything, I’d prefer to see more of their bonding in their solos, since they’re not on the League together anymore.

I don't see Hal projecting his family on his Superhero friends. If he projected Jim on anybody, it would probably be Sinestro.

The only time I've seen Hal uncomfortable with Superman was in the New 52 and, well...yeah.

To be honest, I'm done with Hal and Bruce drama. It makes either Bruce look like a jerk for the umpteenth time or Hal look dumb.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see Hal projecting his family on his Superhero friends. If he projected Jim on anybody, it would probably be Sinestro.

The only time I've seen Hal uncomfortable with Superman was in the New 52 and, well...yeah.

To be honest, I'm done with Hal and Bruce drama. It makes either Bruce look like a jerk for the umpteenth time or Hal look dumb.

Even Johns realized he had milked that for all its worth when he finally capped it in "Darkseid War" with Batman finally acknowledging Hal's heroism. (which only made his story in the anniversary that much more pointless)

The best...

Biff? Really ?

If The Green Lantern is the end of Hal headlining a solo for now, I hope Morrison puts Hal and Carol back together again. Maybe they could finally tie the knot (or at least get as close to it as Hal allows )

Biff? Really ?
    Aren't all jerk mechanics named Biff?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If The Green Lantern is the end of Hal headlining a solo for now, I hope Morrison puts Hal and Carol back together again. Maybe they could finally tie the knot (or at least get as close to it as Hal allows )
    It would be nice. Especially after all these years of the responsibility of the ring and the duties that come with it always interfering with their personal and professional lives including their relationship