Page 47 of 233 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I do think Dorine deserves some credit for making her way into this totally rad image, though:
    Yup.

Keith Pollard only drew GL for 10 or so issues, but his art was perfect for the book. For me he's right there with Brian Bolland as the two best GL artists of the 1980s. (And aside from Dave Gibbons, there's not a lot of other competition.)

He left GL to draw Vigilante, and abruptly left that book - and monthly comics - a few months after that. If he wanted, he could have been the next George Perez. But in those days a lot of the best up-and-coming artists went into marketing and advertising, where there was real $$ to be made.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Of Hal Jordan's throw away love interests?

I've noticed no one ever talks about Dorine Clay...not that I blame them. Though, she might have been a bit more interesting than Eve. There's also Iona Vane from the future. She was actually pretty cool for ending up with Salaak instead of Hal Jordan. That is certainly something of note.
    The people in 58century brainwashed Hal into believing Iona Vane was his girlfriend. I think if she could count as a love interest is debatable.

iona vane ended up with salaak? the green lantern salaak?

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Yup.

and here i was scratching my head why hal would get "married" to a descendant of a sun eater...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Yup.

Well, ****. I could've lived a long and fruitful life without having seen THAT.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

She didn't "end up" with him. There was an issue where there was some emergency and those future people couldn't get Hal or something and instead dragged Salaak into the future as Pol Manning with Vane as his girlfriend. Unfortunately, they find out she had also been brainwashed into loving "Pol Manning" as well and the truth was beginning to eat at her brain so Salaak, who at first thought she was complicit in his brain-tampering and kidnapping felt sympathy for her and played along as Pol Manning so she wouldn't freak out, but he of course returned to the present day once the threat was over. (that's according to my memory of the story, anyway)

CBR has an interview with Morrison: (and some art from #3)
    https://www.cbr.com/interview-grant-...tern-season-2/

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Really cool interview. As usual, Morrison's thoughts on Hal are a pleasure to read.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Grant just straight up saying comics were better in the Silver Age is funny, but I can't entirely disagree with him in some ways. The definitely had more energy and excitement back then relative to their time and style compared to a lot of what the big two have published since. I like that he consistently tries to capture that tone in a modern way, even though it doesn't always land. It's fantastic when it does (here, All-Star, parts of his Batman), and is still kind of interesting when it fails overall (his Wonder Woman). I wish more authors would do that, especially if they could apply it to more progressive and diverse characters and themes that weren't explored back then.

Hal and Superman not having their thoughts displayed for the reader and letting the nuances of their actions speak for them does indeed make them more interesting than some of their other portrayals and many other heroes.

so there's:

carol
    cowgirl
    arisia
    eve
    olivia
    dorine (?)
    iona (?)

seems hal has been given more love interest than clark and bruce.

so there's:

carol
    cowgirl
    arisia
    eve
    olivia
    dorine (?)
    iona (?)

There was also Kari Limbo

Incredible Member

so there's:

carol
    cowgirl
    arisia
    eve
    olivia
    dorine (?)
    iona (?)

Bruce definitely tops Hal in the number of love interests...

so there's:

carol
    cowgirl
    arisia
    eve
    olivia
    dorine (?)
    iona (?)

You're forgetting Rose Hardin, Kari Limbo and Power Girl when it comes to Hal's other love interests.

When it comes to Clark I would say yes, but Bruce has always had the likes of Vicki Vale, Silver St. Cloud, Julie Madison, Linda Page, Amina Franklin, Charlotte Rivers, Lorna Shore, Mallory Moxon, Natalia Trusevich, Vesper Fairchild, Shondra Kinsolving, Rachel Caspian, etc, etc, and that's before even mentioning the Silver Age version of Bat-woman/Kate Kane, The Bronze Age Nocturna/Natalia Knight, Catwoman/Selina Kyle, Wonder Woman, Zatanna, Talia Al Gaul, etc.

Before "shippers" became a thing in the late 80's creators/writers would generally create a love interest for the story they were telling at the time and as more stories were written over time, the more love interests accumulated for some heroes. Long running characters like Hal, Bruce, Logan/Wolverine (and until they finally settled down) Peter Parker, Wally West are perfect examples of long running characters who accumulated a pretty good list of love interests that created just for them (and, had some characters that were created independently from them as love interests as well) over a long period of time.