Page 71 of 233 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 3484

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    How was the Hal Spectre run? I read the Ostrander Spectre run and loved it, was the JMD Hal Spectre comparable?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    How was the Hal Spectre run? I read the Ostrander Spectre run and loved it, was the JMD Hal Spectre comparable?
    From what I've heard it was...trippy.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    From what I've heard it was...trippy.
    Trippy is one way to put it. It was DeMatteis at his metaphysical best, imho. I loved every issue and would have ben just fine with Hal as The Spectre for a few more years.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I tried my damndest to get through it, but aside from some gorgeous artwork by Sook and Breyfoggle, but the writing is the literary equivalent of JM DeMatties crawling so far up his own butt because he's absolutely delighted by the smell of his own farts.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 05-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Trippy is one way to put it. It was DeMatteis at his metaphysical best, imho. I loved every issue and would have ben just fine with Hal as The Spectre for a few more years.
    I'm glad it worked for you. I think there was a lot of untapped potential in the concept of a fearless hot shot turned intergalactic cop turned cosmic madman turned unearthly spirit tasked with taming the Wrath of God as a penance for his sins, but I found DeMatties's handling of the concept too pretentious and self-serious for my tastes.

I've only read the issue about the Forever Woman and I remember liking it, but overall The Spectre seemed like an odd run. Which is a bit ironic for me given the current GL series.

Incredible Member

Comparing with what Hal'd been through at that time, I think DeMatties's work deserves thanks more than rude criticism like "smelling his own fart" .
    Whatever he'd done in the book, he was trying to repair the character, though not in a way that most fans liked. That depended on editors and higher-ups, not him. I think he tried his best to give Hal an unique and memorable run as the Spectre. Maybe it's just me but I consider Hal's experience as the Spectre as a part of his charm.
    Even comparing with morden comics, how Hal was handled in The Specture is definitely a model that many writers could've learnt. IMO what real farts should be are using Hal as a plot tool, portraying him like a moron, taking what belong to him away and giving them to other characters. Yeah I mean Venditti's run.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Comparing with what Hal'd been through at that time, I think DeMatties's work deserves thanks more than rude criticism like "smelling his own fart" .
    Whatever he'd done in the book, he was trying to repair the character, though not in a way that most fans liked. That depended on editors and higher-ups, not him. I think he tried his best to give Hal an unique and memorable run as the Spectre. Maybe it's just me but I consider Hal's experience as the Spectre as a part of his charm.
    Even comparing with morden comics, how Hal was handled in The Specture is definitely a model that many writers could've learnt. IMO what real farts should be are using Hal as a plot tool, portraying him like a moron, taking what belong to him away and giving them to other characters. Yeah I mean Venditti's run.
    I don't begrudge DeMatteis for attempting to salvage Hal's character, that's what he was hired to do by DC Editorial, but I do think he steered the book in a creative direction that was more about him pontificating about New Age philosophy than crafting entertaining superhero comics that more readers wanted from the character.

That said, had DeMatties's approach to Hal not been so unsuccessful, we might not have gotten Johns & Tomasi's far more popular relaunch of the franchise.

So the new TGL issue was interesting like usual. Missed the monthly dose of odd fun by Morrison and Sharp. I'm also glad that Hal and Cowgirl acted more like old friends this time, there was no need for them to hook up again like Hal seems to be doing with every female character in the series. Now wonder who this lovely lady might be.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

I liked the latest issue but I wish there was some more development of the overarching story. It's nice to see Hal team up with Cowgirl again but the main story arc doesn't seem to be moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So the new TGL issue was interesting like usual. Missed the monthly dose of odd fun by Morrison and Sharp. I'm also glad that Hal and Cowgirl acted more like old friends this time, there was no need for them to hook up again like Hal seems to be doing with every female character in the series. Now wonder who this lovely lady might be.

I believe that's Mrs. Quentin, Hyperboy's mother.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

I think it's a "Johns rule". At least I don't recall reading earlier stories where he made it a point to not wear his ring during flight tests.
    One thing to keep in mind about the "no ring while flying" rule was that there was a retconned in feature (by Englehart I think) where the rings had an automatic "life saving" function to protect its wearer and Hal couldn't have the ring getting in the way of his job, which necessitated him placing himself in danger.

Darth ____?

haven't read it yet, but i'm excited to hear that cowgirl is in it.

i also heard that barry is scheduled to appear soon. that's another thing to look forward to.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about the "no ring while flying" rule was that there was a retconned in feature (by Englehart I think) where the rings had an automatic "life saving" function to protect its wearer and Hal couldn't have the ring getting in the way of his job, which necessitated him placing himself in danger.
    Pretty sure it was there in Mark Waid's JLA Year One.