Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
Americans have this strange tendency to adapt stuff and then make it in stark contrast to the source material in many ways, and I think it ultimately causes friction down the road. Adapting Sinestro without Hal Jordan...it's like, you can do that...but why?

In the end it will cause tension within the fanbase, because people are going to be like "why do they keep giving these underdeveloped characters Hal's stuff. Why not just use Hal?" And hypothetical people who become Green Lantern fans from this show would end up being misled, and those types of criticisms will be what they're greeted with when they explore the mythology and fanbase more.

Like...when Sailor Moon gets adapted, the main character is Sailor Moon. It's not Sailor Mercury and Sailor Mercury is in a relationship with Tuxedo Mask, but that's kind of how Americans would do things if they were behind it. And those Sailor Scouts would mos. def be getting their races bent all to hell. And all of that would cause friction and confuse fans.
When Sailor Moon fans get into Sailor Moon fandom from watching cartoons everything is normal and no one is greatly confused, and if they fight with each other, it's over the quality an English dub or something...it's never like the main Sailor Scout should be Sailor Mercury. It's just really weird, and I think it stems from laziness. The Americans often tend to want an end result without putting in the foundational effort. They want to use these characters instead of Hal Jordan (for whatever reason), but then they realize these other GL's were never built up sufficiently enough to get by without aping the stuff that was specifically meant for Hal Jordan's character.

And just to be clear, I'm pretty ambivalent to all these characters, but I do think the situation is weird and bad.
Largely the nature of superhero adaptations. Films or shows tend pull from across multiple eras and or only take the most general stuff because of the comics long-running nature and, noticeably in DC's case, multiple reboots. The Reeves Superman films and 90s Batman films weren't really like what their source material had been like or were at the time. The Wonder Woman film is a hodgepodge of several elements from her history rather than one writer or vision.

Guess just in the case of GL where there's multiple co-existing characters with the name, it's inevitable when an adaptation comes it'll pull from stuff not developed for them.