Page 29 of 233 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

And of course, the boys are back in town.

THE GREEN LANTERN SEASON TWO #4
    written by GRANT MORRISON
    art and cover by LIAM SHARP
    variant cover by MATTEO SCALERA
    Guest-starring the Flash, as the Emerald Warrior and Fastest Man Alive put their friendship on the line to fight for their lives on a world changed beyond all recognition! Is the world ready for an attack by ptechnodactyls and the ancient super-beings known as “the Golden Giants of Neo-Pangaea”?
    ON SALE 05.13.20
    $3.99 US | 4 OF 12 | 32 PAGES
    FC | DC
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-14-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Not all, the Jim Lee variant for the 2010s hasn't been released for some reason.

Great to see Ivan Reis doing a new GL cover.

This is what got me into the franchise comics-wise (along with Rebirth).
    And of course, the boys are back in town.

Morrison's run has, for my money, basically been building up to a Hal/Barry team-up .

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think this issue really showcases all the flaws of Morrison's run on GL. None of his story ideas are really innovative or original either to the GL mythos or in regards to his own work. The idea of a hyperaccelerated world giving rise to superhumans has been done before by Morrison likewise the latest batch of Guardians stepping away or getting replaced is a perennial story trope that probably started back in the 80s. Much like season 1, Morrison is just reusing the same ideas that previous writers has already done with and bringing nothing new to the table.
    Wrong. Firstly, the Guardians left to go mate with the Zamorans and came back afterwards, secondly, the Guardians (except for Ganthet and Sayd) were slaughtered by Sinestro, leaving the Templar Guardians no choice but to try and take over the position of their murdered brethren, so this will be the first time ever that the Guardians left (basically because of Death Metal and 5G/the so called Multi Crisis) to be replaced with a whole new set of Guardians.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 02-14-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is what got me into the franchise comics-wise (along with Rebirth).
    It was the perfect jumping on point. I had read some portions of the Kyle run before that, but it was this run that got me invested into the franchise. Because of it, to this day I'm still hesitant to read some older issues, especially from the early 90s. Maybe I'm being superficial, but the covers with the grey haired Hal just put me off for some reason.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Gotta say David Finch’s take on Guy was badass!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

GREEN LANTERN: 80 YEARS OF THE EMERALD KNIGHT HC
    written by BILL FINGER, JOHN BROOME, DENNIS O’NEIL, LEN WEIN, ALAN MOORE, RON MARZ, GEOFF JOHNS, and others
    art by MARTIN NODELL, GIL KANE, NEAL ADAMS, DAVE GIBBONS, DARWYN COOKE, and others
    new cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
    DC celebrates the 80th anniversary of the Emerald Knight with this new hardcover collection of the best Green Lantern tales across the decades! This new hardcover celebrates the legacy of Green Lantern, from the debut of Alan Scott in 1940, to the character’s rebirth in 1959 as test pilot Hal Jordan—part of a vast Green Lantern Corps that serves justice across the galaxy—to John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, Jessica Cruz, and beyond. Included in this title are some of the greatest Green Lantern tales ever, featuring stories and art by comics’ top talents.
    ON SALE 06.10.20
    $29.99 US | 7.062” x 10.875” 400 PAGES | FC

BANNED

I like how DOOM the game the red lanterns are.

Astonishing Member

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/GL-80-YEARS-EMERALD-KNIGHT.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738&h=1120
    Wow the old Johns Star Sapphire costumes makes a return. Guess it really was Diane Nelson being censorship happy that had them get rid of the costume for New 52.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-14-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Gotta say David Finch’s take on Guy was badass!

As it should be...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Wow the old Johns Star Sapphire costumes makes a return. Guess it really was Diane Nelson being censorship happy that had them get rid of the costume for New 52.
    Granted, as explicit as the New 52 could get at times...

Can't forget Doug Mahnke's 1960s variant.

When I think of the Geoff Johns run, it's always Reis, Van Sciver and Mahnke that pop up. In hindsight, you can really see why that run was so successful. Popular writer in his prime bringing back a fan-favorite character, drawn by some the best artists in the business. It all aligned perfectly.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

It was the perfect jumping on point. I had read some portions of the Kyle run before that, but it was this run that got me invested into the franchise. Because of it, to this day I'm still hesitant to read some older issues, especially from the early 90s. Maybe I'm being superficial, but the covers with the grey haired Hal just put me off for some reason.
    Have you read either of the "Emerald Dawn" minis, or "The Road Back"? That's the material that made me a lifelong GL fan. Once you get past the grey temples, they're actually some really good stories...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Have you read either of the "Emerald Dawn" minis, or "The Road Back"? That's the material that made me a lifelong GL fan. Once you get past the grey temples, they're actually some really good stories...
    I've read Emerald Dawn and Emerald Twilight, with some issues in between. That run seems like an utter waste of time to me. Naturally, it goes back to my own personal dislike for that era but can you blame me. Look at this damn thing, could they make their protagonist look anymore unappealing if they tried. No wonder that book wasn't selling.

Incredible Member

I would rather have Priest and DeMatteis on this anniversary book than Lemire, Tynion or Tamaki...
    Last edited by HAN9000; 02-14-2020 at 08:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh...You can definitely tell when this guy isn't being inked by Joe Prado. I was talking with someone once, and they told me that a lot of what you see in Ivan Reis is Joe Prado. Ever since then, I started really looking...and he was right! Of course, he isn't bad, or anything, but Reis' work certainly loses something to my eye without Prado. It's a lot more average-ish to me, and a lot of detail that you otherwise would likely have seems to be missing.