Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I dunno, Morrison's Hal seems more like a stoic, straightforward, lawman in a very messy and complicated universe to me while Johns' was a more emotionally complicated and driven hero trying his best amidst a huge turbulence in the universe and after returning from a fall from grace.

Johns' felt more human to me but I think both are perfectly valid takes.
I don't know if Morrison's Hal comes across as stoic or straightforward. His "stoicness" in a sense is a ruse, hiding the fact that this is a man who has seen incredibly complex things for him to be able to relate to Earth matters in the same way the average person does. But at the same time, he's an incredibly layered character who can shift from one persona to another, who doesn't have a crisis over being these multiple versions of himself, they are all a part of him. There's something strangely zen-like about Morrison's Hal and at the same time, there's also something bittersweet about him. He does remind me of Luke from Cool Hand Luke in the best ways. Johns' Hal may be more human in a sense but he's also somewhat generic.