Page 132 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2294
  1. #1966
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    You are saying John or Jessica will have more exposure than Hal only because they provide diversity? That's really not a wise commercial decision as AT&T has just *******d its workforce to save money...
    Well, the Green Lantern is the third best-selling solo of DC. If they think it's not good enough and cancel the title after season two ends, maybe it is what it is. And I have to say, a GL team book always sold less than a Hal solo in history.
    For my part, I grow tired easily and I've been a DC fan and kept buying DC comics for this long only because monthly books give regularly new excitement. If they cancel GL monthly book, maybe I will turn back to play video games (and disappear from this forum) very soon.
    The Green Lantern is the 3rd best selling title right now because of Morrison and it was the 1st or 2nd best because of Johns. As much as I personally love the character, I don't think any of the corporate bean counters are foolish enough to think that Hal Jordan is going to be a consistent top seller without an A-list creative team.

    I hope I am wrong and the cuts to the monthly line won't be too deep, but I don’t think I am.

    This isn't to say Hal Jordan is going to disappear, but I am not sure that we'll be guaranteed our monthly fix post-Morrison. There's simply too many characters out there that DC owns. I suspect the monthly titles will be little more than Batman, Superman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Flash, Justice League and a handful of others moving forward.

  2. #1967
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The Green Lantern is the 3rd best selling title right now because of Morrison and it was the 1st or 2nd best because of Johns. As much as I personally love the character, I don't think any of the corporate bean counters are foolish enough to think that Hal Jordan is going to be a consistent top seller without an A-list creative team.

    I hope I am wrong and the cuts to the monthly line won't be too deep, but I don’t think I am.

    This isn't to say Hal Jordan is going to disappear, but I am not sure that we'll be guaranteed our monthly fix post-Morrison. There's simply too many characters out there that DC owns. I suspect the monthly titles will be little more than Batman, Superman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Flash, Justice League and a handful of others moving forward.
    Quite the opposite, Green Lantern was still the third best selling solo of DC in new52, with Venditti's shitty writing. There's no need to diminish Hal's value.
    DC made some absurd decisions after Rebirth. They moved the spotlight away, dragged him out of his main title book and stuffed him in a team book. I don't think it's fair to use that book (I really HATE it) to represent his value.

    BTW, when did Batman not get a top-list creative team? Do you think that means he can't be a top seller without great promotion?
    Last edited by HAN9000; 08-13-2020 at 08:11 PM.

  3. #1968
    Extraordinary Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,263

    Default

    looks really cool


  4. #1969
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,087

    Default

    Back in the 20th century.....



    I hear ya!!!!

    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 08-13-2020 at 08:49 PM.

  5. #1970
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Back in the 20th century.....



    I hear ya!!!!

    I keep forgetting Teen Lantern is a thing.

  6. #1971
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Quite the opposite, Green Lantern was still the third best selling solo of DC in new52, with Venditti's shitty writing. There's no need to diminish Hal's value.
    DC made some absurd decisions after Rebirth. They moved the spotlight away, dragged him out of his main title book and stuffed him in a team book. I don't think it's fair to use that book (I really HATE it) to represent his value.

    BTW, when did Batman not get a top-list creative team? Do you think that means he can't be a top seller without great promotion?
    Venditti had the benefit of following Geoff Johns, which briefly kept the sales up, but they quickly sank like a stone once readers, including myself, realized that it was garbage.

    However, I'm not just talking about Venditti's run, I'm talking about the character's entire publishing history, during which Hal Jordan was by no means a guaranteed best seller. He's always been one of DC's biggest characters, certainly, but he's rarely been an automatic sales character in the way that Superman and Batman have been. Sales dipped heavily in the late 60s, and again in the 70s, 80s, and 90s when there wasn't a strong creative direction.

    That said, these things often change. Batman once sold so poorly that Detective Comics was nearly cancelled, Flash has suffered numerous sales slumps, and both Wonder Woman and Aquaman have never been consistent sellers.

    I honestly don't know how the new corporate bean counters are going to view the Green Lantern franchise as a whole after it imploded following the failure of the movie and the end of Johns's run. I hope they see some value in Hal Jordan as on ongoing concern, but I don't think there's any guarantee of it, either.

    The only thing that seems certain about this new era for DC is that there don't appear to be any sacred cows. Just because Hal Jordan has been appearing monthly for the last several years doesn't mean that is going to be the case moving forward.

  7. #1972
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Venditti had the benefit of following Geoff Johns, which briefly kept the sales up, but they quickly sank like a stone once readers, including myself, realized that it was garbage.

    However, I'm not just talking about Venditti's run, I'm talking about the character's entire publishing history, during which Hal Jordan was by no means a guaranteed best seller. He's always been one of DC's biggest characters, certainly, but he's rarely been an automatic sales character in the way that Superman and Batman have been. Sales dipped heavily in the late 60s, and again in the 70s, 80s, and 90s when there wasn't a strong creative direction.

    That said, these things often change. Batman once sold so poorly that Detective Comics was nearly cancelled, Flash has suffered numerous sales slumps, and both Wonder Woman and Aquaman have never been consistent sellers.

    I honestly don't know how the new corporate bean counters are going to view the Green Lantern franchise as a whole after it imploded following the failure of the movie and the end of Johns's run. I hope they see some value in Hal Jordan as on ongoing concern, but I don't think there's any guarantee of it, either.

    The only thing that seems certain about this new era for DC is that there don't appear to be any sacred cows. Just because Hal Jordan has been appearing monthly for the last several years doesn't mean that is going to be the case moving forward.
    Sigh, I guess you are right. Even they do see the value in Hal Jordan, they maybe still don't care as the profit of selling comics is like a drop in the bucket comparing with AT&T's earning.
    The only thing AT&T value at present is the HBO MAX streaming service. So let's keep our fingers crossed that Hal will be one of the protagonists of the GL live action show.

  8. #1973
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Sigh, I guess you are right. Even they do see the value in Hal Jordan, they maybe still don't care as the profit of selling comics is like a drop in the bucket comparing with AT&T's earning.
    The only thing AT&T value at present is the HBO MAX streaming service. So let's keep our fingers crossed that Hal will be one of the protagonists of the GL live action show.
    The current rumor is James Marsden as Hal Jordan, with the actor who played the young Hooded Justice as John Stewart. But, as with all online rumors related to movie casting, I'll believe this when it is officially announced at DC Fandome and they've actually started filming. Remember that Tom Cruise was nearly cast as Hal at one point for the GLCorps movie, but that fell through because Cruise reportedly didn't want Hal to die at the end of the movie to become Parallax in the sequel.

    Marsden could work. He's certainly a good actor with a lot of range, but he's not exactly a huge star, which could be both good and bad because he's much more of a character actor who won't bring as much baggage as a superstar like Cruise would have.

  9. #1974
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The current rumor is James Marsden as Hal Jordan, with the actor who played the young Hooded Justice as John Stewart. But, as with all online rumors related to movie casting, I'll believe this when it is officially announced at DC Fandome and they've actually started filming. Remember that Tom Cruise was nearly cast as Hal at one point for the GLCorps movie, but that fell through because Cruise reportedly didn't want Hal to die at the end of the movie to become Parallax in the sequel.

    Marsden could work. He's certainly a good actor with a lot of range, but he's not exactly a huge star, which could be both good and bad because he's much more of a character actor who won't bring as much baggage as a superstar like Cruise would have.
    Personally I want an actor either at a younger age or with a better known name. Marsden is a good actor and I can see him doing well to play Hal. But he's just not the person that makes me feel “That’s it. That’s the Hal I want.”
    Last edited by HAN9000; 08-14-2020 at 05:47 AM.

  10. #1975
    Extraordinary Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,263

    Default

    this may be late to say, but i just finished issue #6 and i had fun reading it. probably i liked this issue the most out of all the season 2 issues.

    it felt a little bit like sinestro corps war. those qwardians were mopped the floor with the lanterns.

    the aliens looked weird, which i guess is "normal" for aliens.

  11. #1976
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Personally I want an actor either at a younger age or with a better known name. Marsden is a good actor and I can see him doing well to play Hal. But he's just not the person that makes me feel “That’s it. That’s the Hal I want.”
    if they go with a more mature actor, my fancast would be Jon Hamm. Seriously, can anyone think of a better choice?

  12. #1977
    Extraordinary Member Güicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The current rumor is James Marsden as Hal Jordan, with the actor who played the young Hooded Justice as John Stewart.
    Can you share where you are you bringing this from?
    Link, quote, source citation ...thanks!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-14-2020 at 10:40 AM.

  13. #1978
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Personally I want an actor either at a younger age or with a better known name. Marsden is a good actor and I can see him doing well to play Hal. But he's just not the person that makes me feel “That’s it. That’s the Hal I want.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    if they go with a more mature actor, my fancast would be Jon Hamm. Seriously, can anyone think of a better choice?
    The "Hal I want" is going to come down to the writing. Marsden has been one of my top choices since they mentioned they were looking for a "veteran." I wouldn't want a huge name like Tom Cruise where I'm concerned I will only see the actor and not Hal. Jon Hamm might be good, but only if the Hal that's written aligns with how you're imagining it (personally, it doesn't seem like a great fit to me) but we won't know how they see Hal until we see it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-14-2020 at 10:32 AM.

  14. #1979
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The "Hal I want" is going to come down to the writing. Marsden has been one of my top choices since they mentioned they were looking for a "veteran." I wouldn't want a huge name like Tom Cruise where I'm concerned I will only see the actor and not Hal. Jon Hamm might be good, but only if the Hal that's written aligns with how you're imagining it (personally, it doesn't seem like a great fit to me) but we won't know how they see Hal until we see it.
    The "Hal I want", is pretty much the one we are seeing in TGL, the classic superhero, the guy that always appears to have things under control, even when things are out of his control. The guy that knows what he is doing, and don't care for what others think he should do, the "outdated" hero, with no angst, cool and a complete badass.

    Jon Hamm is the perfect actor to play the role.

  15. #1980
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    if they go with a more mature actor, my fancast would be Jon Hamm. Seriously, can anyone think of a better choice?
    I like Hamm, but he seems a little too...smooth for Hal?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •