Page 32 of 233 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

I think I'd be into Parallax way more if it wasn't a way to sideline the character and if we could still have Hal as the protagonist. Also, it was just badly executed. Hal goes from grieving the loss of Coast City to maniacally murdering Lanterns in the span of a few pages. And like j9ac9k said above, too often, he was portrayed as "crazy" and "power-hungry". Those are not traits I'd associate with Hal. In fact, even if Hal goes rogue, I don't think the man with the greatest willpower in the world would do so because he went "crazy"; he'd do so because he genuinely believed in what he was doing.

BANNED

There's another Parallax out there.

I don’t hate Liam Sharp’s art, in fact he makes some of the more sci-fi elements of Morrison’s run look really cool and he has a knack for alien designs...but I kind of like Xermancio’s art from Blackstars more. I felt he had a much clearer art or at least a style that I appreciate, though maybe because I’m used to his work on the Injustice series where this I think this Green Lantern run is the first I’ve seen of Sharp’s art style.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I think...even if the premise is interesting, it's hard for fans of a character to buy into turning someone they love or care about who they've followed for a long period of time into a villainous or antagonistic character, unless that's what they were in their inception.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Parallax's original concept (and certainly design) was a good one (and his name certainly made a lot more sense at the time since it has nothing to do with being a fear bug), and he was genuinely interesting a few times, like in "Final Night." Many have said he could have been a Magneto type character who exists in the grey - where you might appreciate his motivations, but his methods are immoral. The problem is that he was depicted too often as a power-hungry madman driven insane by grief. To have one of the founders of the JLA abandon their code of morality and really approach things from a different perspective and method could have been a great new addition to the DCU. Personally, I'm glad they bungled it, because I'd rather see Hal as the hotshot pilot, ring-slinger but it doesn't mean there weren't some good ideas in there. Now that there's a Halallax actually running around the DCU somewhere, who knows if he'll ever come back ... or he might be hanging out with Malvolio somewhere. (although I almost want to see a story that reveals Malvolio actually was Parallax...)
    The thing is, the whole Emerald Twilight story that O'Neil came up with was a complete retcon that came out of nowhere and ignored a lot of previous continuity. Hal was there when Coast City was destroyed, dealt with it's loss and then went on an adventure with Ollie right afterwards. Then, out of the blue, Hal is acting like he's seeing the destruction for the very first time, goes crazy and tries to recreate Coast City with his power ring? To me, the whole thing was absurd.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think...even if the premise is interesting, it's hard for fans of a character to buy into turning someone they love or care about who they've followed for a long period of time into a villainous or antagonistic character, unless that's what they were in their inception.
    I'm cool with "antagonistic" as long as the character development feels organic and it's not done to get rid of the character. "Villainous" - not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    I'm cool with "antagonistic" as long as the character development feels organic and it's not done to get rid of the character. "Villainous" - not so much.
    Organic is the key. One way I think they COULD have gone... and I'm not sure it would have been any better, would be for Hal to lean toward the guardians. The guardians always had an 'all knowing- big picture' kind of mentality that he used to push against. IF he somehow got the 'ancient wisdom' and decided that he needed to take charge and work the 'big picture' against the wishes of everyone else... that may have been a direction to go.

But the way it was written... was just terrible and turned him into everything he ever hated.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I wonder if we'll get a scene like this in the upcoming Apokolips War animated movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if we'll get a scene like this in the upcoming Apokolips War animated movie.
    there will be?

hopefully wb doesn't decide on skipping hal.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    there will be?

hopefully wb doesn't decide on skipping hal.
    No he will be in it. There he is in the promo images, he’s right next to Lex Luthor in the back of the group shot. Supposedly the movie follows the end of reign of the supermen animated movie and is about the Justice League (and I guess the teen titans) have had enough of Darkseid and are going to go fight him on Apokolips.

5FB3F529-3B33-4AF6-8F47-4F740DC82AD3.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I see Constantine, but otherwise it seems odd that it's labelled as "Justice League Dark." If it's magic-centric, we probably won't see much Hal. (not that we do in these things anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I see Constantine, but otherwise it seems odd that it's labelled as "Justice League Dark." If it's magic-centric, we probably won't see much Hal. (not that we do in these things anyway)
    It's the green right by Cyborg's head, in fairness its not a great image and he is in the background.

As for how much Hal is in the movie...honestly I don't know, supposedly this is like the big build up movie from the animated dc cinematic universe and clearly from the images we see the animated versions of the Teen Titans and Batman in his chair from Darkseid War but not really sure why it is called Justice League Dark specifically. Maybe just for branding purposes I don't know, but I would have to guess it is because at the end of the JLD animated movie Constantine was asked to join the Justice League, so maybe that is why he is here.
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-19-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    Words to live by.

Those New-52 based animated movies not only don't do justice to Hal, but tend to do the exact opposite. It honestly wouldn't hurt if he wasn't in the Darkseid War movie. At this point DC clearly has no intention to give him a great outside media portrayal anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Those New-52 based animated movies not only don't do justice to Hal, but tend to do the exact opposite. It honestly wouldn't hurt if he wasn't in the Darkseid War movie. At this point DC clearly has no intention to give him a great outside media portrayal anyway.
    They haven't depicted him as bad as War in my opinion. I mean, he's kind of a tool, but he's not as incompetent.