Page 12 of 233 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Read The Road Back. Rose was originally created to be Hal’s love interest. Also, it wasn’t until DC saw the successful sales numbers of The Road Back that decided to give John his own book. That’s why John was co starring with Hal and Guy in Gerard Jones’ Green Lantern book until issue #22.

Unpossessed Carol was brought in issue #49 and they ended up having a minor dispute and going their separate ways again.

Attachment 91641
    You're not understanding something. I'll go slow.

The writer...when he created Rose Hardin...he KNEW he was going to ultimately have her be John Stewart's girlfriend. Not Hal Jordan's. He KNEW he was going to bring back Carol Ferris, which he actually did in issue 20-something. It doesn't matter if he portrayed Rose as a love interest of Hal Jordan. His ultimate intent was to put her with John Stewart, even back during the Road Back. It was always his intent to put her on the Mosaic, which happened in the Road Back. Why would he put her there and have her as Hal Jordan's girlfriend...when Hal Jordan is not there often, but John Stewart is there all the time?

I mean, if he didn't mean for this stuff to happen, why did it happen the way it did?

Read the forward to The Road Back. Kevin Dooley says that DC always planned to spin other GL titles out of the GL main series when they released the first issue.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 01-14-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Hal looks like the only one to skip Oliver's chili.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    GL fans are the best.

Now that is just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    the road back was one of the arc's that re-hooked me to green lantern. appa ali apsa going insane was really creepy, and i remember worrying how hal would be able to fight a mad guardian. that was one of my favorite sci fi stories ever.

and pat broderick was awesome too.
    Me too! That leads to a question. Did they ever explain why Ganthet never went crazy like Appa Ali Apsa did without the other Guardians to mentally commune with?

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    You're not understanding something. I'll go slow.

The writer...when he created Rose Hardin...he KNEW he was going to ultimately have her be John Stewart's girlfriend. Not Hal Jordan's. He KNEW he was going to bring back Carol Ferris, which he actually did in issue 20-something. It doesn't matter if he portrayed Rose as a love interest of Hal Jordan. His ultimate intent was to put her with John Stewart, even back during the Road Back. It was always his intent to put her on the Mosaic, which happened in the Road Back. Why would he put her there and have her as Hal Jordan's girlfriend...when Hal Jordan is not there often, but John Stewart is there all the time?

I mean, if he didn't mean for this stuff to happen, why did it happen the way it did?

Read the forward to The Road Back. Kevin Dooley says that DC always planned to spin other GL titles out of the GL main series when they released the first issue.
    It seems the crux of this disagreement is about whether it really was all planned from the beginning. (I see no need for the "go slow" insult - not taking your word for it doesn't equal not understanding what you're saying) Having plans to spin books out of the main GL title doesn't necessarily mean that everything was planned in terms of it being a Mosaic book starring John and that Rose would be his love interest. We all know stories change all the time and that things don't always happen because they were planned meticulously ahead of time. Is there anything more definitive in that "Road Back" forward? Otherwise, docmidnite could be right that Rose wasn't initially meant to be John's love interest and they came up with all that after the Mosaic storyline in GL became well-received.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter if it was planned ahead of time or not. Unless someone can provide something more concrete, I'm okay to say that maybe it was planned, maybe not.

Me too! That leads to a question. Did they ever explain why Ganthet never went crazy like Appa Ali Apsa did without the other Guardians to mentally commune with?
    Ganthet didn't have to cross the country in the cab of an old pickup truck with Oliver "I make the hottest chili in the world" Queen....

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Ganthet didn't have to cross the country in the cab of an old pickup truck with Oliver "I make the hottest chili in the world" Queen....
    Is there anyone who has survived that chili other than Hal anyway. lol

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is there anyone who has survived that chili other than Hal anyway. lol
    We have Black Canary, but she might be loyal to a fault.

This could be where Guy's trouble started....

Hal was smart enough to not force it down. Nothing but love for John, but perhaps Hal is the cerebral one.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It seems the crux of this disagreement is about whether it really was all planned from the beginning. (I see no need for the "go slow" insult - not taking your word for it doesn't equal not understanding what you're saying) Having plans to spin books out of the main GL title doesn't necessarily mean that everything was planned in terms of it being a Mosaic book starring John and that Rose would be his love interest. We all know stories change all the time and that things don't always happen because they were planned meticulously ahead of time. Is there anything more definitive in that "Road Back" forward? Otherwise, docmidnite could be right that Rose wasn't initially meant to be John's love interest and they came up with all that after the Mosaic storyline in GL became well-received.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter if it was planned ahead of time or not. Unless someone can provide something more concrete, I'm okay to say that maybe it was planned, maybe not.
    Thanks for sticking up for me. I truly appreciate it. You’re definitely one of the more reasonable posters here. Also, insults are never merited on a discussion board. BTW it was The Road Back story line. If that flopped DC would have cancelled the book/Green Lantern vol. 3 shortly after and gone in a different direction. Which means no Mosaic or Guy Gardner: Reborn. DC only creates books if initial books and story lines are successful enough to warrant it.

Take Showcase #22 for example. If Showcase #22 didn’t sell well, there wouldn’t have been a Green Lantern vol. 2

Extraordinary Member

Worse than Parker luck?

Extraordinary Member

Feel the emerald burn, Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Worse than Parker luck?

Nothing is more Hal Jordan then something hitting his head...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Worse than Parker luck?

I'm almost afraid to ask what happens on the next page... *facepalm*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

is there anything that says he didn't? Appa went super lonely and started collecting people.... Ganthet was the most 'human' of the Guardians and started embracing all his emotions and individuality... By the end of John's run the other guardians definitely were not fan of Ganthet's mental health... 'Crazy' may just take different forms with different Oans :P