Page 101 of 233 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 3484
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Yeah, there are definitely some problems in terms of Hal's characterization in the original run (O'Neil makes Hal look like too much of a chump sometimes) but there are also some good Hal moments I think that can be salvaged if reinterpreted through a more generous lens.
    I think O'Neil's premise of Hal being the best guy who've ever met who's wrong 100% of the time bouncing off of Ollie, who's always right but a kind of a douchebag, worked for the handful of issues that the Hard Travelling Heroes lasted, but it wasn't sustainable in the long-run which is why the revived GL/GA title dropped that status quo, along with the political angle, even though both runs were written by O'Neil.

Preview for the GL 80th Anniversary Special: https://aiptcomics.com/2020/06/19/gr...rsary-preview/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Preview for the GL 80th Anniversary Special: https://aiptcomics.com/2020/06/19/gr...rsary-preview/
    hal's story looks intriguing.

i can't wait.

It shouldn't take four pages to tell us that Hal crashed somewhere and his ring is almost out of juice. I just sound like a grumpy old fart, oh well...

Really looking forward to this though - there aren't enough stories that show Hal's human side - he's been in action mode for so many years at this point. Showing his connections to people on earth will be a welcome change. (the lastest issue was nice too with him and Barry teaming up, but there was too much weirdness going on for much character stuff to happen other than a bit of banter)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It shouldn't take four pages to tell us that Hal crashed somewhere and his ring is almost out of juice. I just sound like a grumpy old fart, oh well...
    Eh you're not nearly as bad as I am these days lol. I used to get excited to talk about this character, now I almost feel like I'm subconsciously looking for reasons to complain about what DC does with him all the time.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-20-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Doiby Dickles .

On one hand seeing Alan referred to as "young man" just doesn't sound right. lol On the other hand it reminds me when Jay Garrick was a premier skin in Injustice 2 and his interactions were so Golden Age. There's this old Americana feel to him and Alan that just warms your heart.

On one hand seeing Alan referred to as "young man" just doesn't sound right. lol On the other hand it reminds me when Jay Garrick was a premier skin in Injustice 2 and his interactions were so Golden Age. There's this old Americana feel to him and Alan that just warms your heart.
    I had a reverse reaction to the previews for Death Metal #2 and seeing Alan drawn to look older than he usually is.

The_Red_Devil

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97766
    Hal Jordan cover from Rebirth.

Astonishing Member

I sometimes wish that Hal carried a back up ring.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

Really looking forward to this though - there aren't enough stories that show Hal's human side - he's been in action mode for so many years at this point. Showing his connections to people on earth will be a welcome change. (the lastest issue was nice too with him and Barry teaming up, but there was too much weirdness going on for much character stuff to happen other than a bit of banter)
    Agreed, 100%. It's this type of repetitive writing that enforces certain readers idea that Hal is boring and one dimensional...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think O'Neil's premise of Hal being the best guy who've ever met who's wrong 100% of the time bouncing off of Ollie, who's always right but a kind of a douchebag, worked for the handful of issues that the Hard Travelling Heroes lasted, but it wasn't sustainable in the long-run which is why the revived GL/GA title dropped that status quo, along with the political angle, even though both runs were written by O'Neil.

Yeah, Gotta say that i enjoyed GL/GA #90 on up a whole lot better than I liked the hard travelling heroes run. They really just kind of gelled into a good solid friendship helping each other out in mask and out in ways you never really saw other hero friendships.

People talk about Barry and Hal's friendship.... but the only time i remember them hanging out were actual team ups. With hal and Ollie... They were chilling watching a game, or having a BBQ or eating some chili... THey'd talk to each other when they had women trouble... they had thanksgiving together... it just really felt like buddies who enjoyed each other's company.

Y'know... as opposed to opposite political spectrums determined to prove each other wrong and rub their face in it. Maybe they couldn't have gotten to the 90+ without going through the 76+, but I'll always enjoy the latter ones. Less political strife... more fighting Sinestro on a medieval world in an alternate dimension....

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah, Gotta say that i enjoyed GL/GA #90 on up a whole lot better than I liked the hard travelling heroes run. They really just kind of gelled into a good solid friendship helping each other out in mask and out in ways you never really saw other hero friendships.

People talk about Barry and Hal's friendship.... but the only time i remember them hanging out were actual team ups. With hal and Ollie... They were chilling watching a game, or having a BBQ or eating some chili... THey'd talk to each other when they had women trouble... they had thanksgiving together... it just really felt like buddies who enjoyed each other's company.

Y'know... as opposed to opposite political spectrums determined to prove each other wrong and rub their face in it. Maybe they couldn't have gotten to the 90+ without going through the 76+, but I'll always enjoy the latter ones. Less political strife... more fighting Sinestro on a medieval world in an alternate dimension....
    like green arrow, i've been wondering how hal and barry's friendship started.

anybody know the history of it?

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Agreed, 100%. It's this type of repetitive writing that enforces certain readers idea that Hal is boring and one dimensional...
    The thing is you can easily get this idea about any character that way, but for some particular reason Hal is the only one they say that about...

happy father's day!