Page 144 of 233 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3484
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I don't want that at all, we already had a second Green Lantern title around that idea that flopped.

For me, too many Green Lanterns just makes them a dime a dozen and disposable; traditionally the Green Lantern Corps comics haven't sold well, because they are not like the X men where each mutant has different powers, it's just a bunch of space cops with the same rings, not overtly appealing to the outside reader.

I like Venditti's run where he had Hal & a supporting cast (John, Guy, Kyle) I'd like to see that again, but there must be a prominent leading GL & they must be able to move volume sales wise.

That's all you can do really, that has been my rule for years with the JLA, no Hal, no money spent on the JLA.

For me though, despite Hal's popularity, I've seen the writing on the wall for a long time now, visa vi, his continuous exclusion from the JLA.

The problem with the Green Lantern in general, is that you can just take the ring on or off just about anyone and call them the greatest Green Lantern of all time. through their willpower or artistry. That's why we now have 5 prominent space GL's.

It makes adding diversity to the JLA really easy, though I would argue that if DC is serious about diversity they should either look at replacing Batman or Superman, a bit harder to do, but I've always been a big Jeremy Irons fan.
    I think your post is right but it is easier to give a ring to a diverse character and plop them in the JLA and say there done. Since the Trinity is untouchable it is the easiest way to give the JLA diversity and while I don't have a problem with John Stewart, I liked his characterization in JLATAS, I wish I could have gotten a season or two of Hal in the JLA out of the long run. Kyle I felt was just a younger version during the 90's he was only made hispanic later on, but Jessica and Simon kinda seem made simply to make the DCU more diverse.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I think your post is right but it is easier to give a ring to a diverse character and plop them in the JLA and say there done. Since the Trinity is untouchable it is the easiest way to give the JLA diversity and while I don't have a problem with John Stewart, I liked his characterization in JLATAS, I wish I could have gotten a season or two of Hal in the JLA out of the long run. Kyle I felt was just a younger version during the 90's he was only made hispanic later on, but Jessica and Simon kinda seem made simply to make the DCU more diverse.
    When Kyle replaced Hal in the 90's it wasn't done for diversity reasons, (I would even say the same thing about Conner/Ollie) it was because DC was looking to attract younger readers, as they mistakenly thought younger heroes would lead to greater sales. (another topic/another time) (there is a reason these characters Hal/Ollie endure)

I don't know why you would think the Trinity is untouchable. They've replaced Bruce & Clark before. There has been a lot of talk of a black Batman, and if they replaced Bruce tomorrow, I'd still collect Batman, provided the new lead was a cool character.

Astonishing Member

When Kyle replaced Hal in the 90's it wasn't done for diversity reasons, (I would even say the same thing about Conner/Ollie) it was because DC was looking to attract younger readers, as they mistakenly thought younger heroes would lead to greater sales. (another topic/another time) (there is a reason these characters Hal/Ollie endure)

I don't know why you would think the Trinity is untouchable. They've replaced Bruce & Clark before. There has been a lot of talk of a black Batman, and if they replaced Bruce tomorrow, I'd still collect Batman, provided the new lead was a cool character.
    Oh I know they have in the past I was just saying in terms of the JLA the Trinity is more untouchable than any other characters in the lineup. No Kyle wasn't a diversity creation, it was later tried to add it into his backstory but no I was more referring to Jessica and Simon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Oh I know they have in the past I was just saying in terms of the JLA the Trinity is more untouchable than any other characters in the lineup. No Kyle wasn't a diversity creation, it was later tried to add it into his backstory but no I was more referring to Jessica and Simon.
    I know, I haven't read the JLA in years, and as Jessica Cruz, rarely, if ever shows up in the Green Lantern comic, I know absolutely nothing about her, but I suppose it's a good example of putting the ring on a character that brings more diversity to the field.

Your right, Batman & Superman are more untouchable, in that they could face a bigger fan backlash if replaced, (Superman less so) but if DC wanted to draw a lot of publicity and bring in new readers, replacing Clark or Bruce would do it.

The only problem with picking a Green Lantern for diversity, is that there are so many of them, whoever has the ring can be replaced at any given time by DC, whether it be John, Hal, Kyle, Jessica or even Guy., so fans are always living in a bit of insecurity.

If you replace say Clark Kent with say Jeremy Irons, unless you switch back to Clark, there are not a lot of replacement options out there, so Irons is a more long term secure bet, sales permitting.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Are you talking about John Henry Irons AKA Steel? Or Jeremy Irons, the white British actor who played Alfred?

"Shake hands on it"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Are you talking about John Henry Irons AKA Steel? Or Jeremy Irons, the white British actor who played Alfred?
    Ah my bad, good reminder why I shouldn't post when I'm working, what a horrible movie that was.

I've already made my point and was ready to retire on the issue, but if Hal is going to be continually excluded from the JLA, than just retire him, what's the point if he's going to be continually isolated from the other big 6 .

In terms of diversity though, it would make sense to have another big name on the JLA who is racially diverse, that can't be so easily replaced as picking one of the 6 or 7 big name Green Lantern's out there at any given time.

Incredible Member

That's all you can do really, that has been my rule for years with the JLA, no Hal, no money spent on the JLA.

For me though, despite Hal's popularity, I've seen the writing on the wall for a long time now, visa vi, his continuous exclusion from the JLA.

The problem with the Green Lantern in general, is that you can just take the ring on or off just about anyone and call them the greatest Green Lantern of all time. through their willpower or artistry. That's why we now have 5 prominent space GL's.

It makes adding diversity to the JLA really easy, though I would argue that if DC is serious about diversity they should either look at replacing Batman or Superman, a bit harder to do, but I've always been a big Jeremy Irons fan.
    Well, maybe there's one more thing we can do. Be more vocal. AT&T obviously likes it since the Snyder cult has earned a Snycer Cut by doing this. (Shrug) Besides, I've always found Hal's fans less vocal on social media platforms than other GL fans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Well, maybe there's one more thing we can do. Be more vocal. AT&T obviously likes it since the Snyder cult has earned a Snycer Cut by doing this. (Shrug) Besides, I've always found Hal's fans less vocal on social media platforms than other GL fans.
    We were vocal back in the day, I use to be part of the Hal brigade during the early days of the DC comic message boards, but now I'm sort of resigned to the fact I'll never see him as a regular in the JLA, and for me, that's more important than him holding his own title.

But if I get to seem him in a JLA movie, yes that would be great! Fingers crossed.

Incredible Member

We were vocal back in the day, I use to be part of the Hal brigade during the early days of the DC comic message boards, but now I'm sort of resigned to the fact I'll never see him as a regular in the JLA, and for me, that's more important than him holding his own title.

But if I get to seem him in a JLA movie, yes that would be great! Fingers crossed.
    I don't think so... There won't be any JL movie coming out for a long time since the first one tanked so bad. And through the rumors and the trailor of the Snycer Cut, Green Lantern isn't a big part of it. I bet Hal either is not in it at all, or he gets only 3 minutes at best.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I don't think so... There won't be any JL movie coming out for a long time since the first one tanked so bad. And through the rumors and the trailor of the Snycer Cut, Green Lantern isn't a big part of it. I bet Hal either is not in it at all, or he gets only 3 minutes at best.
    I wasn't aware it was a flop, I try to avoid watching DC movies, because with the exception of Wonder Woman the ones I've seen are awful (I made the mistake of tuning into Batman/Superman the other night)

Funny though, I do find some other GL fans quite vocal which is why I'm against duplicate heroes, it just pins one DC comic fan against another, that's why I like Marvel, they don't have this problem, it's a happy bunch.

I don't have to worry about people having the knives out for Matt Murdoch because a fan wants there six or seven Daredevil duplicate in waiting to take over the title. With Hal it seems like a constant battle.

what is howard porter doing these days?

He’s been rotating arcs on Flash for awhile now, but not sure what else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    "Shake hands on it"

Man, I miss that show.