Page 183 of 233 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 3484
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This single issue was probably my second favourite single issue of the year from any Comic. (Beaten only by House of X #2).
    How does everyone else feel about Morrison's GL? It's my first time getting into GL (and was my first Morrison Comic) and I'm loving it so far.
    I get the feeling it will receive a cult following in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    This single issue was probably my second favourite single issue of the year from any Comic. (Beaten only by House of X #2).
    How does everyone else feel about Morrison's GL? It's my first time getting into GL (and was my first Morrison Comic) and I'm loving it so far.
    I tend to ship Hal and his ring now because of that issue.

I quite like it, Morrison's probably now with Cooke and Johns for my favorite Hal writers.

Despite focusing a lot on Hal I'm not sure if I'd really pick Johns as a "Hal writer". To me he is more of a "Green Lantern" writer in general.

Johns definitely focused a lot on the mythos but I think he went enough in-depth with Hal's life and character, along with being the lead of Johns' run, to where I would call him a "Hal writer."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    He's definitely up there as one of my favorites. I think he's topped Johns because he hasn't done anything bad yet, whereas Johns wrote some great Hal stuff along with a lot of iffy stuff.

I loved the first season. Haven't been following the second season as closely, I'm waiting on the trades. By reputation it's getting a lot weirder and possibly too self indulgent on Morrison's part, but it might all hold together in one consecutive trade read. At the very least Hal seems to continue to be written very well. Of my favorite DC characters, he's the only one with anything remotely interesting going currently even if it gets too weird. It being self contained helps wonderfully as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Despite focusing a lot on Hal I'm not sure if I'd really pick Johns as a "Hal writer". To me he is more of a "Green Lantern" writer in general.
    The later half of the run after Blackest Night when it becomes cycling through the next event I think where it becomes just more general Green Lantern but most of the stuff from Rebirth up to Sinestro Corps War (the highpoint for me personally) is fairly solidly Hal-centered.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-29-2020 at 02:13 PM.

The later half of the run after Blackest Night when it becomes cycling through the next event I think where it becomes just more general Green Lantern but most of the stuff from Rebirth up to Sinestro Corps War (the highpoint for me personally) is fairly solidly Hal-centered.
    I guess in that respect we have the period where Hal was the lead up, Sinestro and Hal as co-leads, and then Simon as the lead with a bit of Sinestro before Hal comes back for the last issue.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Yeah, the post-Blackest Night Johns run is a mess. Even then, I have gripes with his earlier portrayal of Hal too. Though I think he wrote a great Hal in Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Yeah, the post-Blackest Night Johns run is a mess. Even then, I have gripes with his earlier portrayal of Hal too. Though I think he wrote a great Hal in Rebirth.
    Yeah, it’s in the later half I feel the talking point “Any GL could have been the lead of Johns’ run” holds a bit more weight.

Incredible Member

I would say Morrison gives almost everything I want to see yet didn't see before in a Hal's book, even beyond my expectation, like how Hal manages his daily work, what's his views on earth, frienship, love, the Corps and himself. And Morrison's really dug into Hal's personality, his relationships, his charisma. I feel Morrison truly understands Hal as a character. In addition, I really love those Sci-Fi elements and imaginations for alien planets and lives.
    So I agree Morrison's topped Johns in some ways.
    BTW, Hal and his ring is definetely a god-tier relationship (reminds me of Master Chief and Cortana)
    Last edited by HAN9000; 10-29-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Johns was an excellent world-builder and was absolutely the right guy to re-establish Hal Jordan and the GL franchise after almost a decade of destruction and wheels-spinning following Emerald Twilight. That said, Morrison has crafted a far more complex and interesting version of Hal Jordan for me than Johns ever did.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yeah, it’s in the later half I feel the talking point “Any GL could have been the lead of Johns’ run” holds a bit more weight.
    Absolutely. Post-Blackest Night, Johns seemed bored and it felt like he was playing an encore of his greatest hits and the handful of unfinished ideas he had left. It also became clear that he was more interested in writing about Sinestro than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Johns was an excellent world-builder and was absolutely the right guy to re-establish Hal Jordan and the GL franchise after almost a decade of destruction and wheels-spinning following Emerald Twilight. That said, Morrison has crafted a far more complex and interesting version of Hal Jordan for me than Johns ever did.
    I dunno, Morrison's Hal seems more like a stoic, straightforward, lawman in a very messy and complicated universe to me while Johns' was a more emotionally complicated and driven hero trying his best amidst a huge turbulence in the universe and after returning from a fall from grace.

Johns' felt more human to me but I think both are perfectly valid takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Absolutely. Post-Blackest Night, Johns seemed bored and it felt like he was playing an encore of his greatest hits and the handful of unfinished ideas he had left. It also became clear that he was more interested in writing about Sinestro than anyone else.
    I don't know if he was bored but I think he was taking his world-building to the absolute limit the book could take.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, Morrison's Hal seems more like a stoic, straightforward, lawman in a very messy and complicated universe to me while Johns' was a more emotionally complicated and driven hero trying his best amidst a huge turbulence in the universe and after returning from a fall from grace.

Johns' felt more human to me but I think both are perfectly valid takes.
    I think both takes fit with another. I just view Hal by the time Morrison is writing him as someone who has taken in everything he’s done since coming back during Johns’ run and realized he doesn’t really have anything left to prove to anyone or to himself anymore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I would say Morrison gives almost everything I want to see yet didn't see before in a Hal's book, even beyond my expectation, like how Hal manages his daily work, what's his views on earth, frienship, love, the Corps and himself. And Morrison's really dug into Hal's personality, his relationships, his charisma. I feel Morrison truly understands Hal as a character. In addition, I really love those Sci-Fi elements and imaginations for alien planets and lives.
    So I agree Morrison's topped Johns in some ways.
    BTW, Hal and his ring is definetely a god-tier relationship (reminds me of Master Chief and Cortana)
    I'd like to see more of Hal's ring as a character.