Page 187 of 233 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 3484
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I've always wondered why Geoff decided to write Hal as a juvenile.
    Well, when he wasn’t parading around in green spandex, Hal was a pilot, maybe Geoff wanted him to be comicdom’s answer to Pete “Maverick” Mitchell. That’s my silly guess.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I've always wondered why Geoff decided to write Hal as a juvenile.
    I thought it was due to Ryan Reynolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    The position of those white gloves....
    I'm more curious where the Flash's red hand ends up....

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I thought it was due to Ryan Reynolds.
    Yeah, I always assumed Geoff was trying to be more in-line with the movie's take on Hal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm more curious where the Flash's red hand ends up....
    Now that you mentioned it, he can vibrate through solid objects.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I always assumed Geoff was trying to be more in-line with the movie's take on Hal.
    Since I’ve never actually seen the movie, must be why I had no idea why Hal was acting like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It was New 52 Justice League, everyone was written as a juvenile.

His Hal pre-Flashpoint was fine in my opinion. Though I general I think all the big name characters of DC are better off not being on the Justice League.
    I can understand Geoff choosing to write Hal that way in the Nu52 JL origin even though I didn't like or agree with his choices. However, the characterization continued past the origin after the 5 year jump culminating in Hal and Wonder Woman getting into a brawl. Maybe he felt a need to maintain some continuity with how he depicted Hal in the prior story, but it still sucked to see. They should have been a tight group after all that time, otherwise, why continue to work together? (and yeah, Geoff also wrote "Darkseid War" where Batman *finally* was able to admit that Hal was the hero and not the ring.... he never realized that during the 5 years they were on the team together??)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can understand Geoff choosing to write Hal that way in the Nu52 JL origin even though I didn't like or agree with his choices. However, the characterization continued past the origin after the 5 year jump culminating in Hal and Wonder Woman getting into a brawl. Maybe he felt a need to maintain some continuity with how he depicted Hal in the prior story, but it still sucked to see. They should have been a tight group after all that time, otherwise, why continue to work together? (and yeah, Geoff also wrote "Darkseid War" where Batman *finally* was able to admit that Hal was the hero and not the ring.... he never realized that during the 5 years they were on the team together??)
    The League definitely did not act like they had been established for five years up until that point.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah, I think that's a result of a lot of modern League stories writing characters at their most auto-pilot versions of themselves (and usually not a good version).

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I view the entirety of the New 52 Justice League era like I look at the "gas leak" season of Community. It didn't really make a whole lot of sense compared to what came before and after it, but let's just acknowledge that it happened, then move on to better stuff.

At least it gave us Morrison's Jeans & T-Shirt Superman, another anomaly that doesn't quite fit, but remains cool enough to re-read, which I can't really say for any of the other New 52 comics.

To be honest, I kind of buy into the idea that the first few arcs of the New 52 JL were ghost-written because it wasn't until around Thrones of Atlantis that I feel like Johns found any footing on the title.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Since I’ve never actually seen the movie, must be why I had no idea why Hal was acting like that.
    Regarding the movie, trust me, you didn't miss much.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

I think Johns wrote Hal Jordan the way did in Justice League primarily to fill an archetype in a team dynamic. Pretty much all the characters were intolerable, but I'd say Hal was possibly the worst. I guess the thought process was that the heroes were old and stuffy in the previous continuity (which I think has some merit to it, actually), so they went hard in the other direction and made them young and obnoxious. It was executed really poorly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    I think Johns wrote Hal Jordan the way did in Justice League primarily to fill an archetype in a team dynamic. Pretty much all the characters were intolerable, but I'd say Hal was possibly the worst. I guess the thought process was that the heroes were old and stuffy in the previous continuity (which I think has some merit to it, actually), so they went hard in the other direction and made them young and obnoxious. It was executed really poorly.
    Would have been nice if Grant Morrison wrote the Justice League with Hal in it. I enjoyed the team dynamics of Grant's JLA.