Page 207 of 233 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,105 of 3484

If John's getting a solo, I want Hal back in the League. It's not good enough to just be grateful that's he's in limbo rather than killed or turned into a villain.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-05-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If John's getting a solo, I want Hal back in the League. It's not good enough to just be grateful that's he's in limbo rather than killed or turned into a villain.
    I think whoever is on the League should definitely be whoever doesn't have a book already.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think whoever is on the League should definitely be whoever doesn't have a book already.
    If John is finally getting a solo book, then I would guess that Jessica Cruz will be the primary GL of the League.

Where that leaves Hal, I have no idea. They aren't going to kill him off, villainize him or bench him. He's too valuable an IP to the corporate bean counters. For better or worse, that Ryan Reynolds movie is regularly watched by millions of people around the world. The Geoff Johns run was a sales juggernaut. Morrison/Sharp's The Green Lantern is going to sell well in trades for decades to come, as will Cooke's New Frontier. The character's position is secure. I just don't know what they'll be doing with him or who will be handling his future adventures.

My preference would be a space-based book with Hal jumping around the Multiverse with a small team of characters old and new like Aya and Wally West, but that's just me.

Anybody hoping for Hal to become the primary GL of the DCU like he was 2008 is going to be disappointed though. Popular culture is moving towards more diverse heroes and white guys like Hal Jordan have had the spotlight for the vast majority of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If John is finally getting a solo book, then I would guess that Jessica Cruz will be the primary GL of the League.

Where that leaves Hal, I have no idea. They aren't going to kill him off, villainize him or bench him. He's too valuable an IP to the corporate bean counters. For better or worse, that Ryan Reynolds movie is regularly watched by millions of people around the world. The Geoff Johns run was a sales juggernaut. Morrison/Sharp's The Green Lantern is going to sell well in trades for decades to come, as will Cooke's New Frontier. The character's position is secure. I just don't know what they'll be doing with him or who will be handling his future adventures.

My preference would be a space-based book with Hal jumping around the Multiverse with a small team of characters old and new like Aya and Wally West, but that's just me.

Anybody hoping for Hal to become the primary GL of the DCU like he was 2008 is going to be disappointed though. Popular culture is moving towards more diverse heroes and white guys like Hal Jordan have had the spotlight for the vast majority of it.
    I guess it could be Jessica, or maybe they'll go with a wildcard depending on the writer. Just don't hook her up with Barry again .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it could be Jessica, or maybe they'll go with a wildcard depending on the writer. Just don't hook her up with Barry again .
    There's a bit of tradition of League writers trying to hook Barry up with female Leaguers that are subsequently ignored by everyone else, so I think it's inevitable.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Welcome to the Guy Gardner circle, my dude.

There's a bit of tradition of League writers trying to hook Barry up with female Leaguers that are subsequently ignored by everyone else, so I think it's inevitable.
    Barry remains the one nice dude Zee ever was interested in and that's why it was destined to fail. That woman is attracted to "tall, dark and dysfunctional."

Spectacular Member

We'll see, they always go back to the classic characters when sales start to drop remember all new all different marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Welcome to the Guy Gardner circle, my dude.
    Hey, Guy is going to be the star of an HBO show. It may have taken a while, but things are finally turning around for Guy Gardner!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    This is Rumor Control. Here are the Facts.

There is a MASSIVE difference between speaking as a fan to other fans and working as a professional writer in a professional context.

I do not take jobs to "shit on fans."

I do not have vendettas against fictional characters.

I'm not allowed to say what the focus of the book will be for legal and ethical reasons but I can assure you, unequivocally, when and if Hal appears, he will be the Hal Jordan that has been established and will behave the way DC Comics would like him to be portrayed. I do not diminish one character in order to elevate another and, in fact, if we're going through my tweets, you'd find several saying how much I hate when that is done. It's an example of poor writing.

When I'm a fan, I speak as a fan. When I sit down to write, that stops.

I do not subscribe to the tribalism and angry fist-shaking that seems to be the rule with many current fans. EVERY Lantern has fans who think they should be THE Lantern. Neither I nor DC comics have any intention of shitting on them.

I have between 30 and 50 thousands comics, dating back to the 1940s. I love comics. LOVE.

I'm here to tell great stories, as is the rest of this team. We are excited as HELL about what's coming.

For a lot of you I'm an unknown commodity but, being unknown, you shouldn't automatically expect trouble any more than you should automatically expect greatness.

We have an epic yarn to tell with a LOT of great things coming that haven't even been hinted at, much less announced.

Creators sign NDAs, meaning we are actually not allowed to refute rumors and fear-mongering with specific facts. Meaning, until the books actually drop, people who don't know what they're talking about get to dominate the field.

Here is a fact: Only about five people on this planet know what's coming and none of them are in the fan press. None.

What won't happen:

I will not debate story points here or anywhere else.
    I will not debate any aspect of past, current or future GL stories, here or anywhere else.
    I will never give spoilers, here or anywhere else.
    I will never shit on the work of the other creators who've driven the story of the Lanterns. EVERY one of them has done something amazing that is loved by some segment of the Lantern fandom.

I will not in any way tarnish the legacy of the Green Lantern Corps because that is neither my job nor my intent.

What will happen:

I will tell the story I came to tell.

Epic stories. Amazing art. Life and death. New faces. Old faces. New species. Old species and I hope, a lot of scifi fun.

Anyone who thinks I have any intention of shitting on Hal Jordan can sit down and be still. Because that is a straight-up lie.
    I have read your tweets bro...what happened? You litterally tweeted over a handred tweets for over five years to depreciate hal jordan. I mean, he's just a fictional character, and he can by no means hurt you...or anyone, how come there's so much hatred? If you must have someone to hate, how about hating on real life criminals? Fan or writer, hating on a fictional character just sounds absurd (and immature) IMO, and it's a total waste of energy. Since you are taking over Green Lantern now, I hope you can open your mind slightly for hal, because he's actually (at least) a part of Green Latern mythos.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by peofrole View Post
    I have read your tweets bro...what happened? You litterally tweeted over a handred tweets for over five years to depreciate hal jordan. I mean, he's just a fictional character, and he can by no means hurt you...or anyone, how come there's so much hatred? If you must have someone to hate, how about hating on real life criminals? Fan or writer, hating on a fictional character just sounds absurd (and immature) IMO, and it's a total waste of energy. Since you are taking over Green Lantern now, I hope you can open your mind slightly for hal, because he's actually (at least) a part of Green Latern mythos.
    Calm down, He already explained that his personal opinion wont affect the character.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

As long as writers are able to remove their personal opinion of a character when writing a story, it's not a big deal that they have those opinions like the rest of us. Hal doesn't even need to be featured or acknowledged in the book at all, and as long as it's respectful and not digs aimed at him if/when he does show up, we should be fine.

I can understand the nervousness of it though. Hal's mainstream appeal has taken some hits due to the Ryan Reynolds film, which Reynolds himself fans the flames on, and we've had creators like Dan Didio expressing dislike of Dick Grayson and Wally West and we saw how those turned out. Saying the Parallax situation in particular is the only time Hal has been interesting is going to set Hal fans on edge. Considering things have been skewed towards Hal for a while sometimes at the expense of other Lanterns, it may not be surprising there is backlash against him, but I also don't think we've seen Hal writers be upfront and bash the other Lanterns, have we?

Amazing Member

DC does tend to be better than Marvel about not letting writers who clearly hate characters bash them on panel, so I can't see anything happening. And obviously a character not being written at all is better than being dragged through the mud. We'll see who's on the League, and we don't know all the series coming up in March so there could be a surprise GLC series, or Johns writing JSA (which included Hal as a character in an arc the last time that happened) or possibly even multiple League teams although that's unlikely.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As long as writers are able to remove their personal opinion of a character when writing a story, it's not a big deal that they have those opinions like the rest of us. Hal doesn't even need to be featured or acknowledged in the book at all, and as long as it's respectful and not digs aimed at him if/when he does show up, we should be fine.

I can understand the nervousness of it though. Hal's mainstream appeal has taken some hits due to the Ryan Reynolds film, which Reynolds himself fans the flames on, and we've had creators like Dan Didio expressing dislike of Dick Grayson and Wally West and we saw how those turned out. Saying the Parallax situation in particular is the only time Hal has been interesting is going to set Hal fans on edge. Considering things have been skewed towards Hal for a while sometimes at the expense of other Lanterns, it may not be surprising there is backlash against him, but I also don't think we've seen Hal writers be upfront and bash the other Lanterns, have we?
    Van Sciver probably, but he's more subtle than Thorne.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Van Sciver probably, but he's more subtle than Thorne.
    Seems very easy to believe actually

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hey, Guy is going to be the star of an HBO show. It may have taken a while, but things are finally turning around for Guy Gardner!
    Guggenheim's involvement makes that a monkey's paw wish if I ever saw one. That he's married and probably not to Tora is already leaning more Arrow than Doom Patrol with respect to DC's outings.

Quote Originally Posted by peofrole View Post
    As a person who has strong opinions, they're more fun. I tend to live in hyperbole because I find it more amusing and I suspect that Thorne may be similar, at least in his dismissive regard of Hal Jordan. I have no doubt he genuinely doesn't like the character and has valid reasons for doing so, but when you're going to dunk on a fictional character you don't like, where's the fun in being diplomatic? It's really sad that tweets have become so part of one's professional opinion when by their very nature they're designed to be shitposts.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-06-2020 at 10:18 AM.