Page 208 of 233 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3484

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Van Sciver probably, but he's more subtle than Thorne.
    Don't think these days one can really use "subtle" when describing Van Sciver.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Welcome to the Guy Gardner circle, my dude.

Barry remains the one nice dude Zee ever was interested in and that's why it was destined to fail. That woman is attracted to "tall, dark and dysfunctional."
    Wasn’t that right after Iris was killed?

If so, it still applies to Zatanna.

I don't remember Sciver shitting on other Lanterns asides of saying that Hal is the best. Thou I don't follow creators closely so it is entirely possible that he has something worse while still working with DC.

BANNED

While I sort of agree with the sentiment that DC should have moved on from silver age and focus on later generations,
    Hal Jordan is essential for Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison's saga, which most likely defined the modern Green Lantern mythology.
    And if we moved on from Hal, shouldn't the main lantern be Kyle at this point? Not that I don't like John, just saying.
    And if we go Alan/Jay, Hal/Barry, Kyle/Wally, who's the Lantern for Bart or Wally II?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    While I sort of agree with the sentiment that DC should have moved on from silver age and focus on later generations,
    Hal Jordan is essential for Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison's saga, which most likely defined the modern Green Lantern mythology.
    And if we moved on from Hal, shouldn't the main lantern be Kyle at this point? Not that I don't like John, just saying.
    And if we go Alan/Jay, Hal/Barry, Kyle/Wally, who's the Lantern for Bart or Wally II?
    There's a reason Dc still uses the silver age iterations, They're the most iconic version of those characters.

Although I appreciate the author's comments clarifying their approach to Hal Jordan when writing, their tweets regarding Hal don't instil much confidence that they will treat the character well. I may not like Guy Gardner personally but I don't want him to be shafted to make my favourite Lanterns look better. As such, I'm not sure I'll be interested in picking up the post Future State Green Lantern series. It's been a good run for Hal so far with Venditti's solid run and Morrison's weird and wonderful series highlighting under explored sides to Hal's personality and values.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Van Sciver probably, but he's more subtle than Thorne.
    NO at most Ethan hasn't really done that to any Lantern. At most he said Hal Jordan & TGLC was a Hal book. He even encourage a John fan to write a John story.

I can understand the nervousness of it though.
    QUESTION-where was all this tweet diving when Far Sector, Jess/Simon on the GL book and in Justice League, New Kid lantern in Young Justice, Jessica Cruz Unearth book and Green Lantern: Legacy?
    Books that did not feature Hal?
    What did those writers do to not have anyone patrol their Twitter accounts?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    NO at most Ethan hasn't really done that to any Lantern. At most he said Hal Jordan & TGLC was a Hal book. He even encourage a John fan to write a John story.

QUESTION-where was all this tweet diving when Far Sector, Jess/Simon on the GL book and in Justice League, New Kid lantern in Young Justice, Jessica Cruz Unearth book and Green Lantern: Legacy?
    Look at what thread you're in. Why else do you think he'd be the primary topic of discussion here?

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    This is Rumor Control. Here are the Facts.

There is a MASSIVE difference between speaking as a fan to other fans and working as a professional writer in a professional context.

I do not take jobs to "shit on fans."

I do not have vendettas against fictional characters.

I'm not allowed to say what the focus of the book will be for legal and ethical reasons but I can assure you, unequivocally, when and if Hal appears, he will be the Hal Jordan that has been established and will behave the way DC Comics would like him to be portrayed. I do not diminish one character in order to elevate another and, in fact, if we're going through my tweets, you'd find several saying how much I hate when that is done. It's an example of poor writing.

When I'm a fan, I speak as a fan. When I sit down to write, that stops.

I do not subscribe to the tribalism and angry fist-shaking that seems to be the rule with many current fans. EVERY Lantern has fans who think they should be THE Lantern. Neither I nor DC comics have any intention of shitting on them.

I have between 30 and 50 thousands comics, dating back to the 1940s. I love comics. LOVE.

I'm here to tell great stories, as is the rest of this team. We are excited as HELL about what's coming.

For a lot of you I'm an unknown commodity but, being unknown, you shouldn't automatically expect trouble any more than you should automatically expect greatness.

We have an epic yarn to tell with a LOT of great things coming that haven't even been hinted at, much less announced.

Creators sign NDAs, meaning we are actually not allowed to refute rumors and fear-mongering with specific facts. Meaning, until the books actually drop, people who don't know what they're talking about get to dominate the field.

Here is a fact: Only about five people on this planet know what's coming and none of them are in the fan press. None.

What won't happen:

I will not debate story points here or anywhere else.
    I will not debate any aspect of past, current or future GL stories, here or anywhere else.
    I will never give spoilers, here or anywhere else.
    I will never shit on the work of the other creators who've driven the story of the Lanterns. EVERY one of them has done something amazing that is loved by some segment of the Lantern fandom.

I will not in any way tarnish the legacy of the Green Lantern Corps because that is neither my job nor my intent.

What will happen:

I will tell the story I came to tell.

Epic stories. Amazing art. Life and death. New faces. Old faces. New species. Old species and I hope, a lot of scifi fun.

Anyone who thinks I have any intention of shitting on Hal Jordan can sit down and be still. Because that is a straight-up lie.
    I'm unfamiliar with your work and I'm not going to pre-judge it based on the fact that you have repeatedly stated that you consider one of my favorite characters to be "useless". Personally, I wouldn't agree with that because if he is so useless, I don't believe DC would keep handing over his closest superhero friends, stories, enemies and even love interests at times to other Lanterns who may not necessarily offer the kind of deep lore that he does. Nonetheless, I simply hope that you understand the skepticism of why a good portion of the Green Lantern fanbase might feel the way they do. As an X-Men reader I imagine I wouldn't have been that thrilled to learn that someone who's been that outspoken about "hating" Wolverine was going to be writing the newest X-Men title. Either way, thank you for explaining your position and I'd be looking forward to see what you do with the Hal Jordan character if or when he appears in your run.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-06-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

On the previous cases Hal still had a book and fans knew it. When Jess and Simon were on Green Lanterns Hal was in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, and Far Sector started when Hal was on The Green Lantern, so fans knew that Hal would be taken care off, now the don't.
    Everything is shaping up for Hal end up on limbo or in just cameos roles.

The JL spot most likely will be given to Jessica for the same reason Hawkgirl will always be more likely to be on the team than Hawkman, because the JL is formed mostly by white dudes and if they have to choose between two characters with similar powers, mythos and names they will, and probably should, go with the option that adds some diversity to the team.

The uncertainty is the most worrisome thing to Hal Jordan fans right now.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I'm not sure Kyle is a better choice than John.

Kyle's whole raison d'etre was to be the new kid, which he no longer is. After that was played out, they went with the chosen one trope, which culminated, twice, in the Ion storyline and the White Lantern storyline. Since then, there hasn't been anywhere left for the character to go because he's reached the end point to the character archetype he was based on.

This isn't to say Kyle is a bad character, but, as the lead of a GL comic, John Stewart has more places left to go because not much has been done with him since McDuffie died.

Some people are projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    This is Rumor Control. Here are the Facts.

There is a MASSIVE difference between speaking as a fan to other fans and working as a professional writer in a professional context.

I do not take jobs to "shit on fans."

I do not have vendettas against fictional characters.

I'm not allowed to say what the focus of the book will be for legal and ethical reasons but I can assure you, unequivocally, when and if Hal appears, he will be the Hal Jordan that has been established and will behave the way DC Comics would like him to be portrayed. I do not diminish one character in order to elevate another and, in fact, if we're going through my tweets, you'd find several saying how much I hate when that is done. It's an example of poor writing.

When I'm a fan, I speak as a fan. When I sit down to write, that stops.

I do not subscribe to the tribalism and angry fist-shaking that seems to be the rule with many current fans. EVERY Lantern has fans who think they should be THE Lantern. Neither I nor DC comics have any intention of shitting on them.

I have between 30 and 50 thousands comics, dating back to the 1940s. I love comics. LOVE.

I'm here to tell great stories, as is the rest of this team. We are excited as HELL about what's coming.

For a lot of you I'm an unknown commodity but, being unknown, you shouldn't automatically expect trouble any more than you should automatically expect greatness.

We have an epic yarn to tell with a LOT of great things coming that haven't even been hinted at, much less announced.

Creators sign NDAs, meaning we are actually not allowed to refute rumors and fear-mongering with specific facts. Meaning, until the books actually drop, people who don't know what they're talking about get to dominate the field.

Here is a fact: Only about five people on this planet know what's coming and none of them are in the fan press. None.

What won't happen:

I will not debate story points here or anywhere else.
    I will not debate any aspect of past, current or future GL stories, here or anywhere else.
    I will never give spoilers, here or anywhere else.
    I will never shit on the work of the other creators who've driven the story of the Lanterns. EVERY one of them has done something amazing that is loved by some segment of the Lantern fandom.

I will not in any way tarnish the legacy of the Green Lantern Corps because that is neither my job nor my intent.

What will happen:

I will tell the story I came to tell.

Epic stories. Amazing art. Life and death. New faces. Old faces. New species. Old species and I hope, a lot of scifi fun.

Anyone who thinks I have any intention of shitting on Hal Jordan can sit down and be still. Because that is a straight-up lie.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As long as writers are able to remove their personal opinion of a character when writing a story, it's not a big deal that they have those opinions like the rest of us. Hal doesn't even need to be featured or acknowledged in the book at all, and as long as it's respectful and not digs aimed at him if/when he does show up, we should be fine.

I can understand the nervousness of it though. Hal's mainstream appeal has taken some hits due to the Ryan Reynolds film, which Reynolds himself fans the flames on, and we've had creators like Dan Didio expressing dislike of Dick Grayson and Wally West and we saw how those turned out. Saying the Parallax situation in particular is the only time Hal has been interesting is going to set Hal fans on edge. Considering things have been skewed towards Hal for a while sometimes at the expense of other Lanterns, it may not be surprising there is backlash against him, but I also don't think we've seen Hal writers be upfront and bash the other Lanterns, have we?
    To be fair, even with the failure of the movie, it's not as though Hal wasn't still the most heavily utilized Green Lantern. Even outside of comics he was prominently featured in the Injustice games and was in that Justice League Action cartoon and in DC Super Hero Girls. I don't think John taking a more active role in the franchise harms Hal in any way, especially when there are clearly a lot of folks at DC who clearly like Hal.
    Last edited by Holt; 12-06-2020 at 06:35 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

If you don't know Redjack, visit the Black Panther thread and get some schooling on the man's bonafides.

Personally, I'm still holding to very tiny shard of hope that DC will announce that Morrison and Sharpe will be making a third season of The Green Lantern.

I know is unlikely.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    To be fair, even with the failure of the movie, it's not as though Hal wasn't still the most heavily utilized Green Lantern. Even outside of comics he was prominently featured in the Injustice games and was in that Justice League Action cartoon and in DC Super Hero Girls. I don't think John taking a more active role in the franchise harms Hal in any way, especially when there are clearly a lot of folks at DC who clearly like Hal.
    Yeah, all this is why I'm not too worried if Hal isn't featured in stuff right away.