Page 213 of 233 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,195 of 3484

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Most writers get undeserved criticism when they're seen as an outsider encroaching on one's perceived ownership of a fictional character.

Said owner ignorantly think that the outsider cannot possibly write the fictional character well because they do not fit the mold of what a model writer is.

Have other writers had their social media trawled - no; because other writers are not seen as an outsider.

I don't know why you think I am singling you out - I'm not.

I am simply begging the question what is it that make these perceived outsiders as a threat to some fans?
    The writer of the new Green Lantern title has stated that he doesn't like Hal Jordan. This is the Hal Jordan thread and people were reacting to that. Put it back in the deck.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-07-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Is Hal coolest uncle not named Ben (Parker or Grimm)?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Is Hal coolest uncle not named Ben (Parker or Grimm)?

Is that David Finch? I’d love a D.Finch run on a Hal GL book.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Ed Benes. The biggest tell aside from their hatch work is that Ed draws more pronounced eyes and wider faces/lips on dudes.

The Hal/Roy scene was Ed Benes from Meltzer's JLA title. I really liked that he chose to explore their long-established history, when it was something not deeply explored before. Makes me wish he had met Connor (which I don't think he ever did - Connor mostly hung out with Kyle)

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Ed Benes. The biggest tell aside from their hatch work is that Ed draws more pronounced eyes and wider faces/lips on dudes.
    The real biggest tell would have been if there had been a woman in the scene. Then there would have been no mistake...(y'know, because she probably would have been bent over in some way while wearing boyshorts)

Most writers get undeserved criticism when they're seen as an outsider encroaching on one's perceived ownership of a fictional character.

Said owner ignorantly think that the outsider cannot possibly write the fictional character well because they do not fit the mold of what a model writer is.

Have other writers had their social media trawled - no; because other writers are not seen as an outsider.

I don't know why you think I am singling you out - I'm not.

I am simply begging the question what is it that make these perceived outsiders as a threat to some fans?
    'Outsiders"? Grant Morrison had never written Green Lantern before, so wasn't he an "outsider" as well? There's plenty of people who don't like his current run even though he's writing the character you claim they perceive to "own". The criticism displayed on this thread has nothing to do with Mr. Thorne being a supposed "outsider", it had to do with comments he made about a character this thread is dedicated to. There have been no overreactions on this thread about what he plans to do with Green Lantern and I thought I just had a rather civil exchange with him, there have been concerns regarding the fact that the book will be written by a writer with very negative views on the character that is being celebrated here. That is all there is to it. You're making assumptions about fans feeling "threatened by an outsider" based on nothing that has been displayed on this thread. Anyone who made comments like that about any character and was then announced as the new writer of the franchise that character represents was going to receive similar reactions.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-07-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I was thinking a bit more rougher-looking Jim Lee.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The Hal/Roy scene was Ed Benes from Meltzer's JLA title. I really liked that he chose to explore their long-established history, when it was something not deeply explored before. Makes me wish he had met Connor (which I don't think he ever did - Connor mostly hung out with Kyle)

The real biggest tell would have been if there had been a woman in the scene. Then there would have been no mistake...(y'know, because she probably would have been bent over in some way while wearing boyshorts)
    They both have trouble drawing women. Honestly, I don't like Finch. I think I'm softer on Benes because he's part of the best run of Birds of Prey ever, so I give him that even with all his faults.

But I don't love either.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    'Outsiders"? Grant Morrison had never written Green Lantern before, so wasn't he an "outsider" as well? There's plenty of people who don't like his current run even though he's writing the character you claim they perceive to "own". The criticism displayed on this thread has nothing to do with Mr. Thorne being a supposed "outsider", it had to do with comments he made about a character this thread is dedicated to. There have been no overreactions on this thread about what he plans to do with Green Lantern and I thought I just had a rather civil exchange with him, there have been concerns regarding the fact that the book will be written by a writer with very negative views on the character that is being celebrated here. That is all there is to it. You're making assumptions about fans feeling "threatened by an outsider" based on nothing that has been displayed on this thread. Anyone who made comments like that about any character and was then announced as the new writer of the franchise that character represents was going to receive similar reactions.
    Grant Morrison is one of the most celebrated writers in the entire medium, they are definitely not an outsider; moreover, they wrote the Kyle Rayner version of GL and others in their acclaimed JLA run.

Nevertheless, I get that past comments might cause concern; but the man himself in this very thread has commented on it.

So, why are fans still so up in arms? I can't think of another writer of one of the big TWO in a forum speaking to fans trying to assuage fears.

What else can he do, other than put out his book and see fan reaction.

I, like you also love Hal.

I get it but we have see what Redjack has to offer and after the book comes out and there is criticism then by all means and you will not hear a word from me.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 12-08-2020 at 03:39 PM. Reason: accidentally used the wrong pronouns for Morrison

Grant Morrison is one of the most celebrated writers in the entire medium, he is definitely not an outsider; moreover, he wrote the Kyle Rayner version of GL and others in his acclaimed JLA run.

Nevertheless, I get that past comments might cause concern; but the man himself in this very thread has commented on it.

So, why are fans still so up in arms?
    I can't think of another writer of one of the big TWO in a forum speaking to fans trying to assuage fears.

What else can he do, other than put out his book and see fan reaction.

I, like you also love Hal.

I get it but we have see what Redjack has to offer and after the book comes out and there is criticism then by all means and you will not hear a word from me.
    How are fans still "up in arms?" (other than reacting to being accused of "going crazy" or being "up in arms") How were we "up in arms" in the first place? (other than that one person who has been banned) I see people telling Hal fans to stop judging the book before it comes out, but I don't see anyone quoted and most people have no problem with the new title. It's a bummer that the new writer of GREEN LANTERN doesn't like Hal. And again, this is the Hal Jordan thread - there's some anxiety and uncertainty, but the only overreaction I'm seeing is people thinking Hal fans are "going crazy" and not giving the new title a chance.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-07-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Thanks for the add-on.

TBH, I had Wally & Roy on the brain due to the bad writing both endured.

Seeing how Hal was so supportive of both when they went through previous dark times. Hal was literally dead, and still looking after Wally.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    As others have posted, the page with Roy was drawn by Ed Benes.

I'm later than Barry Allen when it comes to posting replies.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 12-07-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    How are fans still "up in arms?" (other than reacting to being accused of "going crazy" or being "up in arms") How were we "up in arms" in the first place? (other than that one person who has been banned) I see people telling Hal fans to stop judging the book before it comes out, but I don't see anyone quoted and most people have no problem with the new title. It's a bummer that the new writer of GREEN LANTERN doesn't like Hal. And again, this is the Hal Jordan thread - there's some anxiety and uncertainty, but the only overreaction I'm seeing is people thinking Hal fans are "going crazy" and not giving the new title a chance.
    i agree. the crazy is mostly not in this thread. there's a tendency to conflate ALL conercern with all negative responses. comics fandom is just WAY too tribal for my tastes, across the board.

i don't feel attacked here. but the concerns are baseless.

i'm not an outsider either as a fan or as a creator. unlike a lot of folks who've come to comics after only one other form of writing, I have always flitted back and forth between ALL the forms. I've been writing comics for years. And TV. And stage plays and books and audio drama and animation.

when I say "I'm a pro and i don't succumb to the kind of BS a lot of you are worried about," it's not a promise or an opinion; it's a fact.

So, you don't need to worry. While, in my personal life I stand by all the opinions that seem to bug some of you out there, this is NOT my personal life. You have to understand that. Doctors treat patients they'd never break bread with. Firefighters rescue anyone in danger.

My job is to write great stories and that's what I do. It is not to tear down characters because of some personal agenda.
    Last edited by Redjack; 12-07-2020 at 11:29 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    i agree. the crazy is mostly not in this thread. there's a tendency to conflate ALL conercern with all negative responses. comics fandom is just WAY too tribal for my tastes, across the board.

i don't feel attacked here. but the concerns are baseless.

i'm not an outsider either as a fan or as a creator. unlike a lot of folks who've come to comics after only one other form of writing, I have always flitted back and forth between ALL the forms. I've been writing comics for years. And TV. And stage plays and books and audio drama and animation.

when I say "I'm a pro and i don't succumb to the kind of BS a lot of you are worried about," it's not a promise or an opinion; it's a fact.

So, you don't need to worry. While, in my personal life I stand by all the opinions that seem to bug some of you out there, this is NOT my personal life. You have to understand that. Doctors treat patients they'd never break bread with. Firefighters rescue anyone in danger.

My job is to write great stories and that's what I do. It is not to tear down characters because of some personal agenda.

Thanks for the write-up I apologize for speaking for you; but I meant a "outsider" in the sense of writing Hal.

Nevertheless, thanks for participating on the boards!

I've been on CBR since before they purged the old boards. I think it would be kind of awful if i ran away just because i got a few jobs.

I love talking about comics. Remember, most comics aren't written by me so, in those cases, that makes me a fan just like anybody else.