Page 34 of 233 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think spreading the love around to the other Earth GLs would be a bad thing for the property, but I do fear we're going to get some Emerald Twilight 2.0 or whatever to make it happen.

If Hal has to take a back seat for a bit, it's not the end of the world. As long as he's respectfully put on the back burner. Don't deliberately write him badly to prop up someone else, doubly so for adaptations. Like if they go with another Lantern for a movie, don't give them Hal's origin and supporting cast/villains. But in the interim, we have plenty of stuff of his to read/re-read. I'm hoping for more old back issues runs from the Bronze age to get collected. And if DiDio's leaving means that 5G may get the plug pulled, maybe Morrison and Sharp can get a complete season 2 after all?
    Don't misunderstand me. I have no problem with other GLs getting attention, but when there's so many of them and it's highly likely that DC will be publishing less comics aimed at the increasingly older comic market, the chances of Hal getting any kind of regular comic appearances don't seem very high.

I am also unclear on exactly why The Green Lantern was shortened from twelve to eight issues. I haven't seen anything from either Morrison or Sharp saying it had anything to do with Didio or 5G. Did I miss something here? It could just as easily be Morrison or Sharp not wanting to overstay their welcome. The artwork alone must be killing Sharp.

As for Hal in the broader pop culture. If my suspicions are correct and the HBO Green Lantern show is indeed a remix of New Frontier, Emerald Dawn II & the Parallax saga, I think Hal Jordan might finally be able to move past the punchline he's been since the Ryan Reynolds film failed. Here's hoping it is indeed about Hal, Sinestro and either John or Jessica

Objectively speaking, Hal has had his time. As we can see, both inside and outside of comics, the Green Lanterns are always treated as utterly replaceable. When it comes to adapting those stories for the mainstream in particular, I don't see Hollywood caring one bit about which human Lantern the most important stories happen to revolve around. In order for Hal to move past the Reynolds fiasco, the studio needs to be willing to invest in the character again and so far almost a decade after the fact, there hasn't really been anything that suggests they are inclined to do so. If he only happens to be seen as a means to an end in order to prop up someone else, that wouldn't really be anything new as well. Pointing that out it's not being negative, it just seems to be the reality of the situation.

Either way, he's had a good run. And anytime things went south it was never because there was something inherently deficient about the Hal Jordan character, it was always because he was being handled by the wrong people.

I'm not suddenly going to worry about Hal with Didio gone. He's been too present in modern DC for them to completely erase and downplay him now in my opinion, and I can't believe Didio was the only one pushing for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Objectively speaking, Hal has had his time. As we can see, both inside and outside of comics, the Green Lanterns are always treated as utterly replaceable. When it comes to adapting those stories for the mainstream in particular, I don't see Hollywood caring one bit about which human Lantern the most important stories happen to revolve around. In order for Hal to move past the Reynolds fiasco, the studio needs to be willing to invest in the character again and so far almost a decade after the fact, there hasn't really been anything that suggests they are inclined to do so. If he only happens to be seen as a means to an end in order to prop up someone else, that wouldn't really be anything new as well. Pointing that out it's not being negative, it just seems to be the reality of the situation.

Either way, he's had a good run. And anytime things went south it was never because there was something inherently deficient about the Hal Jordan character, it was always because he was being handled by the wrong people.
    Johnny, you're making it sound like we're in for Emerald Twilight II.

We don't have to worry about Hollywood since we've got the HBOMax show, and I'm actually confident Hal will be in that.

lol Not my intention at all. Just saying that in perspective I don't think Hal fans have much to complain about regardless of what happens to the character in the future. And besides, any great character tends to show why they have the staying power that they do, so I'm certain that Hal Jordan will still be around long after DiDio's ousting.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

lol Not my intention at all. Just saying that in perspective I don't think Hal fans have much to complain about regardless of what happens to the character in the future. And besides, any great character tends to show why they have the staying power that they do, so I'm certain that Hal Jordan will still be around long after DiDio's ousting.
    I don't think Hal Jordan is going anywhere either. He's too iconic to completely disappear, but the days of Hal Jordan appearing regularly in the comics could be numbered with so many shiny new GLs running around who are much easier to use because of their relative lack of development. John adds some much needed diversity to the Justice League, so I don't think Hal's getting his spot back there any time soon. Unless Hal is part of the HBO show, I could see him being relegated to the occasional guest-spot whenever someone wanted to use him.

Granted, that might not necessarily be a bad thing. Maybe less is more. I was around when Emerald Twilight hit and Hal appearances were few and far between and it sucked, but, most of the time, when he did appear, they were great stories. I mean, I'd take one all time classic like New Frontier coming out every few years over the twice monthly, yet largely mediocre, Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps anytime without question.

Guys I feel like I should remind you:
    -Hal is the default GL in the DCAMU (even if I understand a lot of you aren’t happy with how he’s been handled there)
    -He’s in Injustice as the only GL remaining from Earth
    -He’s the star of the Earth One books
    -The definitive modern GL storylines all star him
    -He’s the main GL in DC Superhero Girls
    -He will almost certainly be in the HBO Max show

Hal is all over the place. The three most popular GLs are Hal, John, and Jess going off of outside media appearances. I don’t see Hal getting killed off or vanishing from the DCU anytime soon. He’s fallen far from the heights of Johns, it’s true, but he’s still an A-List character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't think Hal Jordan is going anywhere either. He's too iconic to completely disappear, but the days of Hal Jordan appearing regularly in the comics could be numbered with so many shiny new GLs running around who are much easier to use because of their relative lack of development. John adds some much needed diversity to the Justice League, so I don't think Hal's getting his spot back there any time soon. Unless Hal is part of the HBO show, I could see him being relegated to the occasional guest-spot whenever someone wanted to use him.

Granted, that might not necessarily be a bad thing. Maybe less is more. I was around when Emerald Twilight hit and Hal appearances were few and far between and it sucked, but, most of the time, when he did appear, they were great stories. I mean, I'd take one all time classic like New Frontier coming out every few years over the twice monthly, yet largely mediocre, Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps anytime without question.
    In all fairness, it can get tiresome of seeing diversity always being thrown around as a reason why Hal can't be part of a Justice League roster. The League has had diverse members for decades, you don't lose diversity by having Hal on the team. You can always change the team members depending on the story and there's no need at all to be stuck with the usual 7 member roster. I can understand the notion that he's been around for a long time and can be seen as more limited in terms of story potential, but I never understood the diversity argument. When was the last time Hal even was a regular main JL member for an extended period of time anyway, the early 80s? That was long before entertainment culture recognized the need for better representation.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-23-2020 at 01:11 AM.

BANNED

Mmmm brains. Anyway Supergirl is still hot even undead.

Not only that, but from what I recall she only shows up on a variant cover, not in the actual story.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-22-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Guys I feel like I should remind you:
    -Hal is the default GL in the DCAMU (even if I understand a lot of you aren’t happy with how he’s been handled there)
    -He’s in Injustice as the only GL remaining from Earth
    -He’s the star of the Earth One books
    -The definitive modern GL storylines all star him
    -He’s the main GL in DC Superhero Girls
    -He will almost certainly be in the HBO Max show

Hal is all over the place. The three most popular GLs are Hal, John, and Jess going off of outside media appearances. I don’t see Hal getting killed off or vanishing from the DCU anytime soon. He’s fallen far from the heights of Johns, it’s true, but he’s still an A-List character.
    Based on nothing, I doubt Hal will be on the HBO show. That said, in terms of why Hal "isn't going anywhere," I'd add that since "Rebirth" the entirety of Johns' run is in tpb form and one of those evergreen products DC seems to value. For all that material to be viable, it wouldn't be in their best interest to "Emerald Twilight" him again.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Based on nothing, I doubt Hal will be on the HBO show. That said, in terms of why Hal "isn't going anywhere," I'd add that since "Rebirth" the entirety of Johns' run is in tpb form and one of those evergreen products DC seems to value. For all that material to be viable, it wouldn't be in their best interest to "Emerald Twilight" him again.
    Based on something, I think Hal will be. I don't think they would confirm Sinestro if Hal wasn't in it, and the dual protagonists seems tailor made to have at least one classic GL in there.

And, frankly, the era-spanning premise makes it less likely they'll use the really recent GL's like Simon and Jessica in my opinion.

I’ll be honest I’d have preferred a black canary as green lantern action figure over just characters as zombies figures. It looks cool, I love DCeased, and I’m not disparaging anyone from buying those but just a personal preference is all.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

In all fairness, it can get tiresome of seeing diversity always being thrown around as a reason why Hal can't be part of a Justice League roster. The League has had diverse members for decades, you don't lose diversity by having Hal on the team. You can always change the team members depending on the story and there's no need at all to be stuck with the usual 7 member roster. I can understand the notion that he's been around for a long time and can be seen as more limited in terms of story potential, but I never understood the diversity argument. When was the last time Hal even was a regular main JL member for an extended period of time anyway, the early 80s? That was long before entertainment culture realized the need for better representation.
    I would say though that out of the big six (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern & Aquaman) Hal is the only one that is consistently tapped for diversity replacement. (Largely because of John Stewart and other Green Lantern options)

It's a tricky on for me, because I do feel that there needs to be a lot more racial diversity in DC Comics than there currently is, but I don't think that diversity replacement of existing characters is the best way of going about it, as it alienates readers who see their favourite character replaced...but sigh... maybe at this late stage of the comic industry there is no other way??? In an odd way I'm looking forward to 5G for that reason. If Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent are replaced for diversity, than I feel Hal would be back as regular.

Incredible Member

Barring the possibility of having multiple GL titles, personally, I think the best way to treat the GL franchise is much like Dr Who. You have around 5 to 10 years of adventures spotlighting 1 GL (with the others taking a back seat and showing up as supporting, or in their own limited series), and then you switch to another GL, and don't go back for years and years and years. This doesn't mean you would kill off GLs, simply, the spotlight would move on to a different character.

It kinda worked in the past, twice already (at the very least).