Page 45 of 233 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Is anyone else having trouble enjoying Grant Morrison's run on GL so far? I love Hal, but I'm finding the writing almost unbearable.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Loving it tbh but I can understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble enjoying Grant Morrison's run on GL so far? I love Hal, but I'm finding the writing almost unbearable.
    I will have to wait a few months to read Season Two, but I loved Season One and enjoyed Blackstars. One of my favorite titles from the last couple of years
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I will have to wait a few months to read Season Two, but I loved Season One and enjoyed Blackstars. One of my favorite titles from the last couple of years
    Okay, well good to see people disagree. I was a fan of Vendetti's run, and was enjoying the General Zod story arch before it was eruptly ended by the Blackstars.

My main concern overall is Green Lantern comic sales, as long as they stay high, I can accept that the writing might not be...my cup of tea.

Incredible Member

Though Geoff Johns' run remains my favourite, I consider Morrison and Sharp's run the best one in GL history ever.

Mighty Member

Uhhg! you must be young. The sales will tell the story, it will be interesting to see where they will be 8 months from now, provided 5G doesn't reset everything.

Incredible Member

Uhhg! you must be young. The sales will tell the story, it will be interesting to see where they will be 8 months from now, provided 5G doesn't reset everything.
    Really?... I think Venditti's run is more teenager-oriented since it's action-heavy and shallow on dialogues and characteristics while Morrison's TGL is very literary and full of profound insights.
    Sure, Morrison's run is not a best-seller as Johns' (and that's curious to me...). But I think it will be an enduring one.
    My concerns are how can they top this run when it's over, will any writer dare to take over the title when Morrison leave, and how Hal will be portrayed then since Morrison's Hal is quite different from Johns' portrayal as well as the public recognized one. I think we will probably go through another dark time just like when Geoff Johns' era ended.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 03-14-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Really?... I think Venditti's run is more teenager-oriented since it's action-heavy and shallow on dialogues and characteristics while Morrison's TGL is very literary and full of profound insights.
    Sure, Morrison's run is not a best-seller as Johns' (and that's curious to me...). But I think it will be an enduring one.
    My concerns are how can they top this run when it's over, will any writer dare to take over the title when Morrison leave, and how Hal will be portrayed then since Morrison's Hal is quite different from Johns' portrayal as well as the public recognized one. I think we will probably go through another dark time just like when Geoff Johns' era ended.

I don't read comics for profound insights I read them to be entertained. If I want a profound insight I will read a piece of philosophy like Adorno's Negative Dialectics. I trust a comic book writer to entertain me, not to broaden my thinking. I'm pretty sure that Morrison's ability to provide me with any profound insight is net zero. So far I have found his entire run boring, with predictable recycled plot lines.

Yes Geoff Johns is an amazing writer, I would place him up at the top with Denny O Neil, so far I am not enjoying Morrison at all, but for the love of Hal, I will give him more time.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yes Geoff Johns is an amazing writer, I would place him up at the top with Denny O Neil, so far I am not enjoying Morrison at all, but for the love of Hal, I will give him more time.
    Honestly, if you haven't been enjoying Morrison's stuff so far, it's just not for you. Nothing wrong with that. Not every kind of art is going to work with everyone. More than a dozen issues of Morrison & Sharp's Green Lantern has already been released and found an audience that likes what they're doing. They're not going to change direction now. If anything, they're only going to lean more into the weirdness as they get closer to the finish line.

Don't ever feel that you need to support a comic that isn't doing it for you. There's more than enough comics out there that will be more to your liking. Venditti is currently writing Justice League, in what feels like a sequel to his GL work. It's not my cup of tea, but if you liked what Venditti did on HJ&GLC, then you should certianly check it out.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Honestly, if you haven't been enjoying Morrison's stuff so far, it's just not for you. Nothing wrong with that. Not every kind of art is going to work with everyone. More than a dozen issues of Morrison & Sharp's Green Lantern has already been released and found an audience that likes what they're doing. They're not going to change direction now. If anything, they're only going to lean more into the weirdness as they get closer to the finish line.

Don't ever feel that you need to support a comic that isn't doing it for you. There's more than enough comics out there that will be more to your liking. Venditti is currently writing Justice League, in what feels like a sequel to his GL work. It's not my cup of tea, but if you liked what Venditti did on HJ&GLC, then you should certianly check it out.
    I for one loved Venditti's run on HJ&GLC, and he was the reason I returned to Justice League after all the ridiculous stuff with Snyder and Tynion. Venditti is presenting the sort of straightforward, old school superhero stories I grew up on and still love after all these years. That said, I'm also enjoying what Morrison is doing on TGL.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

I don't read comics for profound insights I read them to be entertained. If I want a profound insight I will read a piece of philosophy like Adorno's Negative Dialectics. I trust a comic book writer to entertain me, not to broaden my thinking. I'm pretty sure that Morrison's ability to provide me with any profound insight is net zero. So far I have found his entire run boring, with predictable recycled plot lines.

Really?... Did you predict Hal reestablished earth-15 to satisfy Mu's wish or Chrislon was actually a Durlan spy? That's impressive.
    Also, why can't profound insights be entertaining? We have Maus got a Pulitzer Prize. There's no need to belittle comics. I remember the prologue of Alan Moore's From Hell says if the best writer and artist work together, we will get a comic. I'm hoping DC will give this run an Eisner push (If Tom King's Batman got an Eisener nomination, TGL is totally worth it), but I can understand the silver age retro or something else in the book is not accessible to all people.
    Maybe it's not a good time to say but, personally I just hate Venditti‘s writing with a passion and think he's done tremendous damage to Hal and the GL franchise.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 03-15-2020 at 04:15 AM.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Venditti's run was utterly, utterly mediocre.

I’m almost finished with Season 1 and, while I’m usually not a fan of Morrison’s work, I’ve enjoyed this series enough to get to #12. I’ve had stopping points like the Myrwhydden issue because I wasn’t into the structure. Some writers just do it for you. Morrison is not one of those writers for me whereas, say, Rucka and Brubaker are.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Really?... Did you predict Hal reestablished earth-15 to satisfy Mu's wish or Chrislon was actually a Durlan spy? That's impressive.
    Also, why can't profound insights be entertaining? We have Maus got a Pulitzer Prize. There's no need to belittle comics. I remember the prologue of Alan Moore's From Hell says if the best writer and artist work together, we will get a comic. I'm hoping DC will give this run an Eisner push (If Tom King's Batman got an Eisener nomination, TGL is totally worth it), but I can understand the silver age retro or something else in the book is not accessible to all people.
    Maybe it's not a good time to say but, personally I just hate Venditti‘s writing with a passion and think he's done tremendous damage to Hal and the GL franchise.
    There is a difference between good entertaining writing, and writing that is going to give you a profound insight. If i am looking for deep intuitive meaning, or an intellectualized experience (as noted above), I am rarely going to find it in comics, but that does not mean that I cannot be completely impressed and enthralled by a comic. My favourite read right now is Daredevil, which has been getting a lot of high praise, it's like reading a crime thriller. i am sorry you don't like Venditti, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

No i agree. I was more asking the question to see if anyone felt like I did, and then it turned into something else. I'm willing to give Morrison more time, or approach his writing from a different angle, but your right, it could be one of those things, some people just don't like jazz, some people don't like heavy metal, so they listen to something else.