Page 59 of 233 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've seen a lot of Hal fans cite Johns' Hal or GL:TAS Hal.
    I think GL TAS synthesized the best elements of Hal in the same way that Batman TAS did for him.

Superman TAS? Ehhhh, not so much. It was good, but clearly made by guys who preferred Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    First pic is from Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, second from Justice League: The New Frontier, third from Green Lantern: First Flight.
    thanks will check out

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think GL TAS synthesized the best elements of Hal in the same way that Batman TAS did for him.
    Agree. Such a good show! I'm happy it exists, but I hate that we only got the one season.

i just love this rocky vs ivan drago moment....

Superman TAS? Ehhhh, not so much. It was good, but clearly made by guys who preferred Batman.
    It might not have been the perfect quintessential Superman adaption that fans would have liked, but I enjoyed S:TAS.

I actually thought for the most part Superman: TAS was more consistently enjoyable than Batman: TAS, except for when Batman showed up because then it became obvious who the creators clearly preferred.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think S:TAS was more consistent than BTAS, had its own highs and never had some of the lows of the latter show ("I've Got Batman in My Basement"). But it definitely never reached the same heights and falls short of being definitive for Superman the way BTAS is for Batman. For being a show created by people who clearly prefer Batman it's still very good, but I wish Superman could get an animated series made by people who love him the way BTAS loved Batman or Spec Spider-Man's crew loved those comics.

As far as GL: TAS I only had the premiere episode on in the background, it seemed solid. I admit I'm not eager to watch it because pure CG animation is kind of a turn off for me and the cancellation makes me not want to get invested. But that's my hang ups, not the show's. I'm glad it exists if only for Hal's sake so he can get good representation.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Anybody know where this is from?
    It is from DC First Green Lantern and the issue is a modern retelling of the first time Hal and Alan Scott met. In the issue Alan is telling the story to Kyle Rayner

RCO001_1583463577.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As far as GL: TAS I only had the premiere episode on in the background, it seemed solid. I admit I'm not eager to watch it because pure CG animation is kind of a turn off for me and the cancellation makes me not want to get invested. But that's my hang ups, not the show's. I'm glad it exists if only for Hal's sake so he can get good representation.
    I'm with you on that. It reminded me a lot of Spectacular Spider-man where I absolutely hated the animation style... but the story still won me over. GLTAS just looked too much like balloons... one wrong move and they could just 'POP'. :P But when I did watch it... I WAS able to get past it

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It might not have been the perfect quintessential Superman adaption that fans would have liked, but I enjoyed S:TAS.
    It wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it just wasn't as good as Batman TAS was because that show was made by creators who absolutely adored Batman, whereas Superman TAS was made because the studio wanted them to make a Superman cartoon.

That said, I think there are some amazing things in that show. It was easily the best depiction of the New Gods since Kirby, and their Lois was great. However, they didn't seem all that interested in Superman himself.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think S:TAS was more consistent than BTAS, had its own highs and never had some of the lows of the latter show ("I've Got Batman in My Basement"). But it definitely never reached the same heights and falls short of being definitive for Superman the way BTAS is for Batman. For being a show created by people who clearly prefer Batman it's still very good, but I wish Superman could get an animated series made by people who love him the way BTAS loved Batman or Spec Spider-Man's crew loved those comics.

Strangely, the premier episode is one of the least interesting one, along with one or two in the early going when they were still trying to figure out what the show would be. Once they nailed the premise though, GL TAS was one of the rare shows that got better and better with each episode.

It wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it just wasn't as good as Batman TAS was because that show was made by creators who absolutely adored Batman, whereas Superman TAS was made because the studio wanted them to make a Superman cartoon.

That said, I think there are some amazing things in that show. It was easily the best depiction of the New Gods since Kirby, and their Lois was great. However, they didn't seem all that interested in Superman himself.
    Yeah, a detail that annoyed me is that they didn't have Superman and Clark act all that differently.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm with you on that. It reminded me a lot of Spectacular Spider-man where I absolutely hated the animation style... but the story still won me over. GLTAS just looked too much like balloons... one wrong move and they could just 'POP'. :P But when I did watch it... I WAS able to get past it
    Weirdly, I wasn't nearly as put off by Spectacular at first. Probably because it was still mostly hand drawn. I'm too biased

Yeah the likes of Lois, Lex, Brainiac and Mxy were all great, but the man himself was just solid. The Kirby stuff was also good, but they said in one of the DVDs that they brought that stuff in because they felt the Superman mythos wasn't interesting enough on its own (especially the villains). Which is something I find very frustrating, especially as stuff like the Legion only got one episode devoted to them.

Didn't Timm say in the audio commentary for the All-Star DTV that he wished something like it existed at the time he did STAS? It seems to so right that Morrison is making Timm realize his views are faulty

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, a detail that annoyed me is that they didn't have Superman and Clark act all that differently.
    Tim Daly doing two distinct voices for Clark/Superman like Conroy did for Batman would have done wonders.
    Though at this time, Conroy ditched that aspect in his performance, which made Batman come across as colder and IMO more boring.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-2mNeahitE/

Well how about that. Wonder if this is for the 80th anniversary special whenever it happens to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-2mNeahitE/

Well how about that. Wonder if this is for the 80th anniversary special whenever it happens to come out.
    Was Mahnke listed among the creators? I forget.

Hal would probably be in the Johns story...