Page 7 of 233 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

I like that on his downtime, rather than just play a game like World of Warcraft, he just goes to a world that's like it and actually does it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I like that on his downtime, rather than just play a game like World of Warcraft, he just goes to a world that's like it and actually does it.
    I liked that about Morrison’s run as well

Astonishing Member

Hal's big moment came when he realized that the team needed Wonder Woman's leadership, and on this show Steve Trevor is Diana's Kryptonite - she acts all bashful and can't think straight when he's around, so in the darkest moment, when it seems like Zod's about to win, he sends Trevor away on an errand thus allowing WW to focus on the threat and come up with a plan.
    Thanks.

Hopefully we get to see the Invicibros do more stuff.

Astonishing Member

I remember one time Hal went on a picnic with Barry, Alan, and Jay on an alien planet.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Same. 10 chars.

It would be cool if he found more advanced aircraft/spacecraft to pilot in his spare time. (but then still does it old-school on earth for nostalgia) I thought it was a shame that when he went "renegade," he ended up with an auto-pilot rather than give us a chance to have Hal as a space outlaw who shows off his piloting skills. (oh well, so many missed opportunities with that storyline...)

It would be cool if he found more advanced aircraft/spacecraft to pilot in his spare time. (but then still does it old-school on earth for nostalgia) I thought it was a shame that when he went "renegade," he ended up with an auto-pilot rather than give us a chance to have Hal as a space outlaw who shows off his piloting skills. (oh well, so many missed opportunities with that storyline...)
    I remember when he got to fly the Interceptor...

I agree. Hal loves to fly. Like Wolfman established during his run, Hal will fly anything (just without his ring) to test his skills and push his skills to their very limits.

So not getting a chance to fly an alien spacecraft was a big misopportunity back then.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    I agree. Hal loves to fly. Like Wolfman established during his run, Hal will fly anything (just without his ring) to test his skills and push his skills to their very limits.
    Reminds me of a short story from several years ago when Hal took Kyle on a ride in a jet (rings left behind in the hangar) and gave the kid a wild time.

In my humble opinion, Hal is the Pete "Maverick" Mitchell of comics, a cocky, fearless, in your face pilot who'll take any flying machine to it's limits and beyond.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Love this!
    Credit when it's due, EVS' art on GL was always something to behold. He knew how to draw Hal Jordan better than many of his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Credit when it's due, EVS' art on GL was always something to behold. He knew how to draw Hal Jordan better than many of his peers.
    His art is one of the reasons why I loved Green Lantern: Rebirth so much. The other was Green Lantern: Rebirth was GENIUS in its use of already established continuity.

Johns first used the Moore/Gibbons’ “Tygers” prophecy from Tales of the GLC Annual #1 1984 (where the Guardians first erased their memories of all of the pain, suffering and emotional stress they endured after a thousand years of torture by the Empire of Tears during the war between Orderly Science and Chaotic Magic at the dawn of time) to explain why the Guardians had no memory of the Yellow Impurity that had been inside of the Central Power Battery for thousands of years (and the reason why the rings couldn’t work against anything yellow) also being the Parallax Entity (because after their first initial encounter and subsequent fight against the Parallax Entity the Guardians defeated it, imprisoned it in the Central Power Battery, and then erased their memory of it because their fight was the first time the Guardians had felt “fear” since their torture by the Empire of Tears)

Then Johns used GLC #221-224* where Hal first entered the Central Power Battery to fight Sinestro from the dead and reveal that the Yellow Impurity that bonded with Sinestro's ghost inside of the Central Power Battery after his execution and that Hal had been exposed to in GLC #221-224 during their fight inside the original Central Power was also SENTIENT/the Parallax Entity.

From there, Johns uses that encounter in GLC #221-224 to explain away any erratic behaviour and/or out of the blue changes to Hal between GLC #221-224 and Green Lantern: Rebirth as being infected by the Yellow Impurity/Parallax Entity.

Yeah GL: Rebirth, brought back and exonerated Hal Jordan, but it also brought back Sinestro from the dead, made Guy Gardner a GL again and brought back the entire GLC with a HUGE BANG after 2 big time miniseries (Rebirth and Recharge) that were selling in the hundreds of thousands!

The best thing to me, though is the effective use of continuity.

*Also, GLC #221-224 was the same story that O'Neil used to plot his version of Emerald Twilight that Marz scripted. That's why Rebirth made perfect sense to us long time GL fans and why I don’t even think of it as a retcon.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-10-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Here are the covers to the stories he used...

GLCTygers.jpg

37648_20060524144655_large.jpg

37649_20060524144703_large.jpg
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-10-2020 at 02:06 PM.

And another one...

37650_20060524144710_large.jpg
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-10-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember when he got to fly the Interceptor...

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Reminds me of a short story from several years ago when Hal took Kyle on a ride in a jet (rings left behind in the hangar) and gave the kid a wild time.

In my humble opinion, Hal is the Pete "Maverick" Mitchell of comics, a cocky, fearless, in your face pilot who'll take any flying machine to it's limits and beyond.
    I think Hal’s a mix of Maverick and Kirk because of how their personal lives are always interrupted by their responsibilities to the GLC/Starfleet, their love of exploring the unknown in outer space and of course their penchant for getting hot alien chicks.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-10-2020 at 03:59 PM.