Page 72 of 233 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 3484

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    I believe that's Mrs. Quentin, Hyperboy's mother.
    Meh, for some reason I was hoping it could be Dorine. ;/

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Pretty sure it was there in Mark Waid's JLA Year One.
    true!
    Although again, already set up in Emerald Dawn)
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-07-2020 at 06:40 AM.

Astonishing Member

Thanks everybody.

I was thinking. Maybe that's the reason Geoff retconned Barry's mom into being killed. Geoff saw that Martin's death gave a deeper backstory to Hal and decided to do the same for Barry. Both heroes had traumatic experiences.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Thanks everybody.

I was thinking. Maybe that's the reason Geoff retconned Barry's mom into being killed. Geoff saw that Martin's death gave a deeper backstory to Hal and decided to do the same for Barry. Both heroes had traumatic experiences.
    And then killed Arthur's father as part of his origin. And he also killed Jonathan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    And then killed Arthur's father as part of his origin. And he also killed Jonathan.
    I am not aware of that.

But I think Jonathan Kent is now alive post Rebirth.

What I'm vague is if one of Ha's brother is dead. I think I saw that while reading CBR's message boards.

Astonishing Member

Fun. Not that much to write home about.

A simple story with a simple visit with friends. It's good to catch up with Cowgirl and Herc and Rocket Man and see they're doing the same thing. Hal's a bit more distant now - he's still friends with his friends but he definitely took that Policeman tone with the whole US Military and the project as a whole, which tracks with his current mode of thinking. I wonder if that'll be the foreshadowing in this issue of the greater arc as it goes on - much like arresting Planet Earth for being Super-Power-Intoxicated a while back, he's willing to arrest ... everybody ... if he's gotta. And I like the usage of sort of archetypal cop language to depict these things, telling the Dimension Cloud Man that Earth isn't a nice neighborhood.

But of course the last page intrigue is vastly more interesting and intriguing than the entire rest of the issue.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

It would never happen but "drifter Hal" that we often see in this run could probably work well in outside media. Puts emphasis on Hal being a character who is out of his comfort zone while stationed on Earth, and given how he's generally seen as outdated and having no place in the modern world, that could be an interesting aspect to explore in a movie or TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It would never happen but "drifter Hal" that we often see in this run could probably work well in outside media. Puts emphasis on Hal being a character who is out of his comfort zone while stationed on Earth, and given how he's generally seen as outdated and having no place in the modern world, that could be an interesting aspect to explore in a movie or TV show.
    It'd be a little Incredible Hulk but I guess you could do a decent weekly show of Hal drifting around and stumbling onto aliens of the week.

I'd prefer he work at Ferris Air myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    TV shows tend to need more than just one cast member. Even if he's not stationed on earth, he'd still need a supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

true!
    In what way? that ones' drawing a blank for me.

The first time I remember seeing that mentioned, was sometime during his 'dead years' with someone telling Kyle a story about Hal. Then again when Hal took Kyle for a flight in some backup story in an annual or something... possibly during Emerald Knights when young Hal was brought to the present and saw all the parallax stuff going on.

But like JLA Year one... it was all retcons. During Hal's ACTUAL decade long run, he was always wearing his ring while flying. Many times it saved his life after having a jet crash or something. It was kind of the point.

He DID have it run out of power all the time and had a habit of leaving his battery and uniform in his work locker, but he wasn't leaving his ring around all the time. That's just a little TOO reckless and irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah as you and others indicate, it was Emerald Dawn.
    Another clue, even if you haven't read every Silver Age story, is the Who's Who entries which began 84-85 (pre Crisis) while in the Hal Jordan entry under known family: they do list and name as you indicate his brothers, Jim and Jack, his cousin (Hal), Nephew (Jason), and nieces (Jennifer & Jan), they do not list any parents by name there.

Again (like the name and death of Martin Jordan) this is another element that was introduced in Emerald Dawn.
    Don't know that it makes great sense, but there it is...

(sometimes I have to wonder if Carol doesn't intentionally gives him only the most defective planes to test.

true!
    In what way? that ones' drawing a blank for me.

....he wasn't leaving his ring around all the time. That's just a little TOO reckless and irresponsible.
    Just saying where it was first introduced.
    Interpret it however you like.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-08-2020 at 06:30 AM.

It is interesting that as much as Morrison has been mining the Silver Age for his Green Lantern run, he included Cowgirl and the "I don't wear the ring when I fly" rule for Hal when it's a more modern addition. (and it does seem silly at this point considering how many times GL business comes up when he's in the cockpit)

The latest issue seemed more of a throwaway than usual. I know Hal's just killing time while essentially on a stakeout, but the stories shouldn't feel like we're just killing time waiting for the "real story." And while Sharp is very talented and there are some very pretty pictures of Hal in this issue, I am not a fan of that painterly style he used - I've never been a fan of air brush type of soft coloring. That one aberrant frame of Hal entering Rocketman's hospital room was a million times more my preference. I would be much happier if Sharp drew like that all the time - even over his hyper-detailed style that he's been using on the book.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It is interesting that as much as Morrison has been mining the Silver Age for his Green Lantern run, he included Cowgirl and the "I don't wear the ring when I fly" rule for Hal when it's a more modern addition. (and it does seem silly at this point considering how many times GL business comes up when he's in the cockpit)

The latest issue seemed more of a throwaway than usual. I know Hal's just killing time while essentially on a stakeout, but the stories shouldn't feel like we're just killing time waiting for the "real story." And while Sharp is very talented and there are some very pretty pictures of Hal in this issue, I am not a fan of that painterly style he used - I've never been a fan of air brush type of soft coloring. That one aberrant frame of Hal entering Rocketman's hospital room was a million times more my preference. I would be much happier if Sharp drew like that all the time - even over his hyper-detailed style that he's been using on the book.
    I think Morrison's read the Johns run. I believe he mentioned it in his book once.

Re: not wearing the ring while flying, it struck me as a bit odd if only because I recently re-read the Johns run, and Johns had that “One Year Later” post-Infinite Crisis story where Hal didn’t wear his ring and he, Cowgirl, and Rocket Man were captured/tortured and Hal tore himself up over not being able to spare them that horror. Then you have this issue, and once again Cowgirl is in peril and Hal has to jump into the unknown to save her life, and he’s all “nah, we good.”