Page 8 of 233 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    His art is one of the reasons why I loved Green Lantern: Rebirth so much. The other was Green Lantern: Rebirth was GENIUS in its use of already established continuity.

Johns first used the Moore/Gibbons’ “Tygers” prophecy from Tales of the GLC Annual #1 1984 (where the Guardians first erased their memories of all of the pain, suffering and emotional stress they endured after a thousand years of torture by the Empire of Tears during the war between Orderly Science and Chaotic Magic at the dawn of time) to explain why the Guardians had no memory of the Yellow Impurity that had been inside of the Central Power Battery for thousands of years (and the reason why the rings couldn’t work against anything yellow) also being the Parallax Entity (because after their first initial encounter and subsequent fight against the Parallax Entity the Guardians defeated it, imprisoned it in the Central Power Battery, and then erased their memory of it because their fight was the first time the Guardians had felt “fear” since their torture by the Empire of Tears)

Then Johns used GLC #221-224* where Hal first entered the Central Power Battery to fight Sinestro from the dead and reveal that the Yellow Impurity that bonded with Sinestro's ghost inside of the Central Power Battery after his execution and that Hal had been exposed to in GLC #221-224 during their fight inside the original Central Power was also SENTIENT/the Parallax Entity.

From there, Johns uses that encounter in GLC #221-224 to explain away any erratic behaviour and/or out of the blue changes to Hal between GLC #221-224 and Green Lantern: Rebirth as being infected by the Yellow Impurity/Parallax Entity.

Yeah GL: Rebirth, brought back and exonerated Hal Jordan, but it also brought back Sinestro from the dead, made Guy Gardner a GL again and brought back the entire GLC with a HUGE BANG after 2 big time miniseries (Rebirth and Recharge) that were selling in the hundreds of thousands!

The best thing to me, though is the effective use of continuity.

*Also, GLC #220-224 was the same story that O'Neil used to plot his version of Emerald Twilight that Marz scripted. That's why Rebirth made perfect sense to us long time GL fans and why I don’t even think of it as a retcon.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    for a few seconds i got excited and thought hal would be brought back to the justice league.

and then i realized they're wearing nu 52 costumes....

maybe if i'm lucky robert venditti will remember hal and have hal join the league.
    I don't think so. Venditti is clearly a John fan.

His art is one of the reasons why I loved Green Lantern: Rebirth so much. The other was Green Lantern: Rebirth was GENIUS in its use of already established continuity.

Johns first used the Moore/Gibbons’ “Tygers” prophecy from Tales of the GLC Annual #1 1984 (where the Guardians first erased their memories of all of the pain, suffering and emotional stress they endured after a thousand years of torture by the Empire of Tears during the war between Orderly Science and Chaotic Magic at the dawn of time) to explain why the Guardians had no memory of the Yellow Impurity that had been inside of the Central Power Battery for thousands of years (and the reason why the rings couldn’t work against anything yellow) also being the Parallax Entity (because after their first initial encounter and subsequent fight against the Parallax Entity the Guardians defeated it, imprisoned it in the Central Power Battery, and then erased their memory of it because their fight was the first time the Guardians had felt “fear” since their torture by the Empire of Tears)

Then Johns used GLC #221-224* where Hal first entered the Central Power Battery to fight Sinestro from the dead and reveal that the Yellow Impurity that bonded with Sinestro's ghost inside of the Central Power Battery after his execution and that Hal had been exposed to in GLC #221-224 during their fight inside the original Central Power was also SENTIENT/the Parallax Entity.

From there, Johns uses that encounter in GLC #221-224 to explain away any erratic behaviour and/or out of the blue changes to Hal between GLC #221-224 and Green Lantern: Rebirth as being infected by the Yellow Impurity/Parallax Entity.

Yeah GL: Rebirth, brought back and exonerated Hal Jordan, but it also brought back Sinestro from the dead, made Guy Gardner a GL again and brought back the entire GLC with a HUGE BANG after 2 big time miniseries (Rebirth and Recharge) that were selling in the hundreds of thousands!

The best thing to me, though is the effective use of continuity.

*Also, GLC #221-224 was the same story that O'Neil used to plot his version of Emerald Twilight that Marz scripted. That's why Rebirth made perfect sense to us long time GL fans and why I don’t even think of it as a retcon.
    Yep, gotta agree here. Except for the glaring issue that Sinestro didn't free the Yellow impurity... Hal did, Rebirth was nearly perfect in it's executon. So much better than the Emerald Twilight that started the whole mess. There were so may parts of that story that made me mad... because continuity said XXXXX didn't DO YYYYYY. Just goofy stuff that 'looked cool' but spit in the face of long established rules... and then Rebirth comes along and nearly everything they did, I could look at and say... yeah, I remember that happening... That makes SENSE!!!

Great book written by people who knew their GL history... I really wish his Flash Rebirth was close to as good.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yep, gotta agree here. Except for the glaring issue that Sinestro didn't free the Yellow impurity... Hal did, Rebirth was nearly perfect in it's executon. So much better than the Emerald Twilight that started the whole mess. There were so may parts of that story that made me mad... because continuity said XXXXX didn't DO YYYYYY. Just goofy stuff that 'looked cool' but spit in the face of long established rules... and then Rebirth comes along and nearly everything they did, I could look at and say... yeah, I remember that happening... That makes SENSE!!!

Great book written by people who knew their GL history... I really wish his Flash Rebirth was close to as good.
    Me too,also didn’t say Sin freed it, just that his ghost bonded with the Yellow Impurity after his execution which it did in the original story.

Me too,also didn’t say Sin freed it, just that his ghost bonded with the Yellow Impurity after his execution which it did in the original story.
    No you didn't, but that's what Johns wrote. Sinestro was bragging about how he was in the battery and intentionally released the impurity to infect hal… and ummm… CLOSE, but not quite. Less of a retcon than most of Marz's run so I let it slide

Van Sciver previously said they had a lot of creative freedom on GL Rebirth that they didn't have on Flash Rebirth. Apparently the higher-ups weren't aware of how big of a success GL would turn out to be, so when they did Flash Rebirth there was a lot more editorial control to try to replicate the former's success. Though it could also be about how Barry's death used to be held as something very important for a long time, while Hal was dumped on and killed off, so they probably wanted to handle the former's return more carefully than the latter's that they didn't really know how it would turn out. They took a risk with Hal's return and trusted Johns with the story, while the risk they took with Barry's return was much more calculated.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-11-2020 at 02:33 AM.

No you didn't, but that's what Johns wrote. Sinestro was bragging about how he was in the battery and intentionally released the impurity to infect hal… and ummm… CLOSE, but not quite. Less of a retcon than most of Marz's run so I let it slide
    lol Sinestro is an egotistical jerk that tries to take credit for EVERYTHING. I also remember him saying in Rebirth that Hal killing his doppleganger in ET is what finally pushed Hal over the edge. Umm… no Sin, that would be killing one of his best friends/Kilowog and destroying the Central Power Battery in turn freeing the Yellow Impurity/Parallax Entity and bonding with it, going FULL Parallax.

Sinestro has always been full of himself.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-11-2020 at 03:27 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Agreed. In HJ&GLC, John was the unquestioned leader of the Corps and was portrayed as a master tactician. However, in Justice League, there's only one alpha dog, and he dresses up as a winged rodent. It'll be interesting to see how Venditti writes John when Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are the pack leaders.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    well, that's sad to hear...

I think there's no point to hope for Hal to show up regardless of who the JL writer happens to be. Unless it's an event story of sorts, I don't really see Hal teaming-up with the League during the monthly book. There are many rumors about Snyder and Capullo doing a sequel to Metal where Hal was obviously featured in, so perhaps there's a better chance for him to show up there in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

So, when you think about it, she is really completely naked in all these images .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So, when you think about it, she is really completely naked in all these images .
    He just did what she told him to do...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Agreed. In HJ&GLC, John was the unquestioned leader of the Corps and was portrayed as a master tactician. However, in Justice League, there's only one alpha dog, and he dresses up as a winged rodent. It'll be interesting to see how Venditti writes John when Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are the pack leaders.
    Well, IIRC, Venditti said once John is better than Batman. So we can wait and see if Venditti will take a bold move to let John take the place of Batman as the "head" of JL.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think there's no point to hope for Hal to show up regardless of who the JL writer happens to be. Unless it's an event story of sorts, I don't really see Hal teaming-up with the League during the monthly book. There are many rumors about Snyder and Capullo doing a sequel to Metal where Hal was obviously featured in, so perhaps there's a better chance for him to show up there in some capacity.
    I doubt Hal will be featured in Metal sequel if Snyder has more creative freedom this time... Snyder clearly has no interest in Hal and he's never written a decent Hal so far. Besides, he almost makes John fully take Hal's role in JL, such as befriending with the Flash, being the frenemy of Sinestro, and so on.