Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    To be fair, Kitty dating older guys was nothing new... hello, Piotr. Pete Wisdom is as much a stand-in for Ellis as Jenny Sparks or Spider Jerusalem.
    It is more complicated than that. Ellis has admitted to having a crush on Kitty growing up, and Wisdom was much, much older than Kitty AND Piotr (he was supposed to be at least in his mid 30s). That relationship was already kind of icky to begin with, but now with the all new scrutiny that it would get with these allegations, it takes on a whole new level of problematic. Yes Piotr was older than Kitty, but he was still a teenager himself and much more naive than Kitty (and even then that relationship would not fly today), Wisdom on the other hand was both much older and experienced than Kate, and sincerely it evokes images of grooming, and considering Ellis situation right now, is not something that Marvel will want to be associated with. As I already said, this might even mean the end of Wisdom as a viable character, who himself was only used because he was an Ellis creation.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 06-21-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    It is more complicated than that. Ellis has admitted to having a crush on Kitty growing up, and Wysdom was much, much older than Kitty AND Piotr (he was supposed to be at least in his mid 30s). That relationship was already kind of icky to begin with, but now with the all new scrutiny that it would get with these allegations, it takes on a whole new level of problematic. Yes Piotr was older than Kitty, but he was still a teenager himself and much more naive than Kitty (and even then that relationship would not fly today), Wysdom on the other hand was both much older and experienced than Kate, and sincerely it evokes images of grooming, and considering Ellis situation right now, is not something that Marvel will want to be associated with. As I already said, this might even mean the end of Wysdom as a viable character, who himself was only used because he was an Ellis creation.

True not sure about the end of Wisdom considering what other writers after Ellis did with him like Paul Cornell

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    True not sure about the end of Wisdom considering what other writers after Ellis did with him like Paul Cornell
    What I am getting at is that those writers who used Wisdom have done so because he is an Ellis creation, not because Wisdom is a particular popular character or one that moves the needle in terms of sales. Knowing that, it is very possible that Disney owned Marvel will want to distance itself from both the work produced by Ellis and the character that is most closely associated with him in X-Books, especially considering that he is not a particular popular character for Marvel to gamble bad PR vs benefits on using him.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 06-21-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    It is more complicated than that. Ellis has admitted to having a crush on Kitty growing up, and Wysdom was much, much older than Kitty AND Piotr (he was supposed to be at least in his mid 30s). That relationship was already kind of icky to begin with, but now with the all new scrutiny that it would get with these allegations, it takes on a whole new level of problematic. Yes Piotr was older than Kitty, but he was still a teenager himself and much more naive than Kitty (and even then that relationship would not fly today), Wysdom on the other hand was both much older and experienced than Kate, and sincerely it evokes images of grooming, and considering Ellis situation right now, is not something that Marvel will want to be associated with. As I already said, this might even mean the end of Wysdom as a viable character, who himself was only used because he was an Ellis creation.
    Ellis went through considerable efforts to age Kitty up though before starting the relationship. It's always hard to tell with comic book characters but his Kitty was at least 18 in that she was able to buy alcohol in the pub outing issue, and I can easily believe she was at least in her early 20s by the way Ellis was writing her. Again, not an exact science with comics, but Ellis' Kitty was hardly a teenager anymore.

Never mind that a few years later, in one of the Alan Davis-penned X-Men comics ghost-scripted by Claremont, he had her say she was 16, thus basically making Wisdom a statutory rapist. Whoopsie.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Ellis went through considerable efforts to age Kitty up though before starting the relationship. It's always hard to tell with comic book characters but his Kitty was at least 18 in that she was able to buy alcohol in the pub outing issue, and I can easily believe she was at least in her early 20s by the way Ellis was writing her. Again, not an exact science with comics, but Ellis' Kitty was hardly a teenager anymore.

Never mind that a few years later, in one of the Alan Davis-penned X-Men comics ghost-scripted by Claremont, he had her say she was 16, thus basically making Wisdom a statutory rapist. Whoopsie.
    Claremont never liked Wisdom, his relationship with Kitty, or the aging up at the hands of Ellis, so I imagine that that's why he did that, but that's not the problem. Ellis has not been accused of statutory rape, he has been accused of grooming very young female fans or females who wanted to break into the industry. He might have written Kitty as a tad older (and remember that Wisdom himself was already supposed to be in his mid to late 30s), but is the optics of the work now that get messy considering the accusations. To the general public, the explanation that Kitty was supposed to be older is not really going to fly, especially considering that Kitty was still being drawn as a teenager in his run. Whether intentional or not, the optics of that relationship is what Marvel is not going to want to be associated with. Wisdom himself is not a popular character or one that drives sales up, so for Marvel there is really no upside to ever reference the relationship again, or even use Wisdom in any capacity going forward.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 06-21-2020 at 05:49 PM.

DC already has cancelled his upcoming work on light of the accusations, I really don't think that Disney owned Marvel will be far behind on trying to distance themselves from him.

BANNED

Covid has really dragged the mystery about Kitty's death out. I'm kinda over it and want the reveal of what's wrong already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Covid has really dragged the mystery about Kitty's death out. I'm kinda over it and want the reveal of what's wrong already.
    Well maybe it’s Actually the mystery about Kitty’s death that has actually dragged out covid. Ever think about that? Didn’t think so.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Dustin Weaver

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Dustin Weaver
    Not counting Widget and Lockheed, who eventually became the sixth member of Excalibur?

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Dustin Weaver
    Totally awesome, juan678.

But if it's all about Excalibur, then Alan Davis will always be numero uno:

Todd Nauck is in the middle of doing my Kitty Pryde and Kurt (sort of) commission. I wanted something Kurtty related but didn’t want to pay $2,000 for a commission instead of $1,000. So I did Kitty with a Bamf doll wearing the Star of David necklace Kurt bought her in UXM 363. So far here’s the outline and the digital pencils he’s sent me via email. Can’t wait to get the final colored. But I just had to show some X Fans how it’s coming so far!

And

This is just so far btw.

It’s coming along really well. Looks great!

Just had Kate on the brain. So did a quick pencil sketch.
    IMG_20200720_122340.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Just had Kate on the brain. So did a quick pencil sketch.
    IMG_20200720_122340.jpg
    Good job! My one criticism is that her leg looks a bit crooked, but I like it a lot, especially the way you drew her face and hair.