Page 46 of 200 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Jason was the first Robin in that universe, right? Since Murphy didn't know that Dick came first as he had very limited Batman lore knowledge before working on the series. So you figure it will be a very different take on the character possibly if he was the first Robin and Dick replaced him.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Jason was the first Robin in that universe, right? Since Murphy didn't know that Dick came first as he had very limited Batman lore knowledge before working on the series. So you figure it will be a very different take on the character possibly if he was the first Robin and Dick replaced him.
    That's the interesting thing about elseworlds: you can play with stuff like that, see what happens, have some fun. This Dick for example, has some common traits with DCU Dick, but also significant differences.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-15-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I don't get the hate the White Knight 'verse gets on some sites. For an elseworld, I think it pretty interesting with some neat takes on the different Batman Characters, so I'm all to see what Murphy has in mind for Jason. That said, Dark Prince Charming was the superior Batman elseworld.
    Two things people don't like from WK is promoting Joker and Harley as a couple (some fans don't want Joker and Harley to ever ever ever getting back together and view books like those as promoting abuse regardless the actual story) and depicting a violent Batman again. When Batman is obsessive and violent in the main book and again in WK it's not much different.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I wasn't even aware that the White Knight 'verse gets hate. That's ... kind of unnecessary.
    It's an elseworlds. The story will be finished at some point and that's it.

I can understand people when they are upset about something in the main universe - because it's the "main universe".
    If something controversial happens here, it will have an influence on a character or series for a long time. And that can be really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    I wasn't even aware that the White Knight 'verse gets hate. That's ... kind of unnecessary.
    It's an elseworlds. The story will be finished at some point and that's it.

I can understand people when they are upset about something in the main universe - because it's the "main universe".
    If something controversial happens here, it will have an influence on a character or series for a long time. And that can be really annoying.
    I don't give it hate, just wasn't that invested in it, and dropped it after the first issue.

Just in case you guys want to know, if you like pulp, Curse is very, very pulpy.

So I didn't know this collectible existed.

The Lego Limited Edition Robin from Poland. I love that they chose the New 52 Jason Todd as their exclusive Robin.

#JasonToddPH #RedHoodPH

Extraordinary Member

The Robin 80th Anniversary issue will have a Red Hood & The Outlaws Pinup by Kenneth Rocafort.

(source)
    I find it disappointing that we get a Red Hood Story and not a Robin Story for Jason, there are (if we ignore pre crisis which is a pretty different character) not that many comics with him as Robin in the first place, and hardly any that really focus on him (apart from is origin and DitF).

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I find it disappointing that we get a Red Hood Story and not a Robin Story for Jason, there are (if we ignore pre crisis which is a pretty different character) not that many comics with him as Robin in the first place, and hardly any that really focus on him (apart from is origin and DitF).
    Nowadays I don't expect the best things to happen. This is not a surprise for me, so, well, I will achieve nothing by complaining or anything. They still can't bring themselves to acknowledge him as a former Robin properly, and when they do, guess what? I expect them to pict him like a jerk, justifying his death somehow. When we know it wasn't like that. But it's the narrative they sell because it's the one the've sold before and the one people have bought.

I'm not going to lie, I'm mad; but I somehow have dealt with it. Life is not fair, and I'm used to have to deal with it as mad as it may make me :/.

Their miss, too. A book with some retconned or retold stories about Jason being Robin and showing his passion and virtues (alongside his flaws, insecurities and fears) would sell like nothing, just by novelty alone, not to mention people are going to like it because he would be a bold and street smart but still friendly and kind kid. And still and underdog and hardworker, which is a trope people love too (as we know).
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-16-2020 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssstammerer View Post
    So I didn't know this collectible existed.

The Lego Limited Edition Robin from Poland. I love that they chose the New 52 Jason Todd as their exclusive Robin.

#JasonToddPH #RedHoodPH

I think I like Poland, and polish people are cool in my book. They seemingly have good taste too. Yeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I don't give it hate, just wasn't that invested in it, and dropped it after the first issue.
    It would be nice if more people just dropped a series if they don't like it.
    I've seen enough comments by people who still follow a series although they don't like the story.
    Their comments are especially negative. (... duh)

I've dropped some books in the past.
    I've dropped DCeased after issue 3. (and then started again with Unkillables).
    I've started Detective Comics because of the Arkham Knight arc - and dropped it with the Arkham Knight arc.
    I've started Teen Titans with the current team - and dropped the series after the annual.
    I've dropped Batman: Last Knight on Earth after the first issue.
    I've dropped Batman: Damned after the second issue - I think. Maybe I own the third issue but I can't remember reading it.
    Last edited by Sergard; 03-16-2020 at 07:42 AM.

There'll probably be one or more flashbacks. (At least there was a glimpse of Robin Jason in the sneak peek shared a few weeks ago.) Better than nothing, I guess.
    On the other hand, "More Time" sounds like a reference to "Death in the family". It's sad that Jason always gets reduced to his death.
    Jason was such a cute and passionate kid who cared about people but who also had enough of it that the poorest of people were terrorized.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Nowadays I don't expect the best things to happen. This is not a surprise for me, so, well, I will achieve nothing by complaining or anything. They still can't bring themselves to acknowledge him as a former Robin properly, and when they do, guess what? I expect them to pict him like a jerk, justifying his death somehow. When we know it wasn't like that. But it's the narrative they sell because it's the one the've sold before and the one people have bought.

I'm not going to lie, I'm mad; but I somehow have dealt with it. Life is not fair, and I'm used to have to deal with it as mad as it may make me :/.

Their miss, too. A book with some retconned or retold stories about Jason being Robin and showing his passion and virtues (alongside his flaws, insecurities and fears) would sell like nothing, just by novelty alone, not to mention people are going to like it because he would be a bold and street smart but still friendly and kind kid. And still and underdog and hardworker, which is a trope people love too (as we know).
    You have to tell me your secret to inner harmony. Because I'm mad as hell.

(And I'd love to read some Robin Jason, also pre-Robin Jason/streetkid Jason stories would be great.)

Extraordinary Member

There'll probably be one or more flashbacks.
    But it would be nice to get more than just Flashbacks.

Honestly there is (ignoring pre crisis) sofar only a single Jason solo story from his time as Robin, and that's a Backup Story in Batman Annual #12 about Jason in school.

But it would be nice to get more than just Flashbacks.

Honestly there is (ignoring pre crisis) sofar only a single Jason solo story from his time as Robin, and that's a Backup Story in Batman Annual #12 about Jason in school.
    It would have already been nice if DC had listed Jason in the list of contents as Robin II. (Something like "Robin II and Red Hood", "Robin II/Red Hood" or "Red Hood (Robin II)").
    But nope, Jason is still treated as "He Who Must Not Be Named".

And man, I loved the Backup story. It was a sweet little story that could have led to more. But nope again.

There'll probably be one or more flashbacks. (At least there was a glimpse of Robin Jason in the sneak peek shared a few weeks ago.) Better than nothing, I guess.
    On the other hand, "More Time" sounds like a reference to "Death in the family". It's sad that Jason always gets reduced to his death.
    Jason was such a cute and passionate kid who cared about people but who also had enough of it that the poorest of people were terrorized.

You have to tell me your secret to inner harmony. Because I'm mad as hell.

(And I'd love to read some Robin Jason, also pre-Robin Jason/streetkid Jason stories would be great.)
    Not like I always manage to not get incredibly mad (I had: people that know me, knows), but my philosophy, at this point, is the following.
    spoilers:
    Life is unfair. I can be unfair, others are going to be unfair. How the world works is unfair. Partly because they think different than you, partly because they may have more influence or power than you. Whatever the reason, it's what is it and how it is.

Am I going to be mad and unhappy, bothered by something I can't change or have any power or hand it it, the whole time, 24/7?
    No.
    Why?
    Because it robs me from stuff that I can do to fight this unfairness.

So I can't change the editors opinions, or can't change how they approach Jason's time as Robin, or how they want to sell it. I can't change their thick, obtuse ideas ideas that I know are wrong for very strong and truthful reasons. I can't change it by staying mad and be mad almost beyond reason; and it's arguable that I can change it by showing proof because human mind is like that: we tend to stick to our first opinion on something no matter what (I'm sure it's an effect that has a name for psychologists, but I don't know its name).

But there're things that I can do, like for example, showing other readers who don't have a strongly set opinion on the matter how awesome and cute and interesting Jason could be; or just by showing my love, passion and affection towards Jason, recommending reads about him, or posting pages from the comics in the net. Just by that, you get those others to get interested or changing their bias, even if slowly. And it helps in changing the big guys way of seeing how to portrait Jason, even if bit by bit, in the end. So, maybe, it will reach their thick heads and those who do can do something to change their approach from its core at some point. It's part wishful thinking, I know; but I think it can work.

It also helps that I know I'm right and they're wrong .
    And that I'm not alone, and there's people out there that creates what I like and how I see it.
    end of spoilers

Edit: I've just left some passive-agressive tweet /cc to DCcomics account in Twitter. Feels good.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-16-2020 at 11:04 AM.