Page 111 of 200 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2987
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    No. I know the blond boy is Jason.

Dick says Jason reminds him of someone. So, I was curious who was this "someone".
    He reminds him of himself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    He reminds him of himself.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    No. I know the blond boy is Jason.

Dick says Jason reminds him of someone. So, I was curious who was this "someone".
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    And as Restingvoice has already answered: Dick himself is this someone.

Dick had quite the part in Jason's pre-crisis origin. Dick made friends with Jason's mother Trina. And although this origin is very close to Dick's own, there's also some legacy aspect to it: Jason's mother had looked up to Dick's parents when she was a kid; they had been her heroes.

From Batman #358:

Later, Dick is devastated by Trina's death... (#Detective Comics 526):

... and even wants to adopt Jason. But in the end, it's Bruce who takes Jason in. (also Detective Comics #526)

Dick's also the one who gives* Robin to Jason when he's wondering about his own hero ID.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-09-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Dick's also the one who give Robin to Jason when he's wondering about his own hero ID.
    Oh yeah, that was in Batman #368.
    Sure, DC had to go with Robin because of merchandise, etc. but it's still an interesting thought what would have happened if Jason had had a different ID.

Apparently, Jason likes the Wonder family but wouldn't have liked to be Wonder-Boy - because it sounds like bread. Which is a little funny because "Jason loves bread" is nowadays a little insider "joke" ("joke" because it's actually not funny when one knows the origin from Batman Annual #25).

Personally, I like Bluejay because it's also a little reference to his own name. I hadn't realized that Cardinal was one of the options back then too. Nowadays, Cardinal is more known as a hot contender under fans for Tim Drake's new identity.

But I do wonder why Jason thought that it would be good idea to ask Bruce for his opinion on a name. The guy calls himself Batman, sits in his batcave, drives his batmobile, waits for the batsignal and throws batarangs at criminals. He would probably have named Jason Bat-Boy.

Kid Dynamite... The pun is hidden there.

Also, Tonto? Whaaaat? That's "idiot" or "moron" in Spanish. Does it mean anything else in English? It's some kind of pop culture reference?

Kid Dynamite... The pun is hidden there.

Also, Tonto? Whaaaat? That's "idiot" or "moron" in Spanish. Does it mean anything else in English? It's some kind of pop culture reference?
    I think that Tonto was the name of the Lone Ranger partner who was a native american. I don't know if it has any meaning on english, maybe they thougth that i sounded funny?
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I think that Tonto was the name of the Lone Ranger partner who was a native american. I don't know if it has any meaning on english, maybe they thougth that i sounded funny?
    Ah, it could be that it's referencing the Lone Ranger (I can totally see that). That character apparently is called Toro in Spanish, which does ring some bell for me. Even if I'm probably mixing him with some other "sidekick" (the original Human Torch's sidekick).
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-09-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Ah, it could be that it's referencing the Lone Ranger (I can totally see that). That character apparently is called Toro in Spanish, which does ring some bell for me. Even if I'm probably mixing him with some other "sidekick" (the original Human Torch's sidekick).
    I'm pretty sure that they called him Tonto in the hispanic dub (i can't confirm thougth i only watched 3 episodes and was like 13 years ago), but yeah Toro sounds better, at least implies strength. I always forget that the original human torch was called Toro.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I'm pretty sure that they called him Tonto in the hispanic dub (i can't confirm thougth i only watched 3 episodes and was like 13 years ago), but yeah Toro sounds better, at least implies strength. I always forget that the original human torch was called Toro.
    Also, "Toro Sentado" was pretty much the name of every cheap version of a native american leader here, back in the day--being the actual Sitting Bull or not. I guess they were coming from there when they changed his name. It's a very spaniard thing to do, to be honest, so they most probably didn't change it over there.

(Toro was Jim's sidekick, not Jim (OG Human Torch) himself. Can't remember Toro's actual name. Maybe Tony? Something like that)
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-09-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Also, "Toro Sentado" was pretty much the name of every cheap version of a native american leader here, back in the day--being the actual Sitting Bull or not. I guess they were coming from there when they changed his name. It's a very spaniard thing to do, to be honest, so they most probably didn't change it over there.

(Toro was Jim's sidekick, not Jim (OG Human Torch) himself. Can't remember Toro's actual name. Maybe Tony? Something like that)
    Old dubs can be pretty ramdom when it comes to what they decide to change around here, at least in those times, i will never forget the likes of "La Aguja Dinamica" .

Man my knowledge of the Invaders is even worse that i remember, but hey maybe Jason was really refering to Jim's sidekick in that story, i wonder if Moench did work with the group on Marvel.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Old dubs can be pretty ramdom when it comes to what they decide to change around here, at least in those times, i will never forget the likes of "La Aguja Dinamica" .

Man my knowledge of the Invaders is even worse that i remember, but hey maybe Jason was really refering to Jim's sidekick in that story, i wonder if Moench did work with the group on Marvel.
    Asdfff... Gorgeous! So beautiful.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-09-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I looked it up

Show creator Trendle grew up in Michigan and knew members of the local Potawatomi tribe, who told him Tonto meant "wild one" in their language. When he created the Lone Ranger, he gave the moniker to the Ranger's sidekick, apparently unaware of the name's negative connotations in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.

I looked it up

Show creator Trendle grew up in Michigan and knew members of the local Potawatomi tribe, who told him Tonto meant "wild one" in their language. When he created the Lone Ranger, he gave the moniker to the Ranger's sidekick, apparently unaware of the name's negative connotations in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
    That explains it, thanks for the info

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

apparently unaware of the name's negative connotations in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
    Stuff like this happens, I mean there was Mitsubishi "Pajero" ...