Page 48 of 200 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Is this a fact or your theory, @Arct? I mean, it's a cool concept, but is as it is or...?
    Given that we are shown that Duke is older than Dick and discussed his time in the service, then that Jason was the first Robin and is older than Dick and Barbara, I would say it's canon. However, you don't have to take my word on it, the first series was well drawn and written, completely worth reading.

It is strongly tied to Batman: TAS, but also shows a good grasp of 80s comics and a certain amount of 90s comics.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redmax99 View Post
    Interesting cover, thanks for looking.
    But I had an other cover in mind with two people in the front kissing (or at least looking romantic) and a bunch of people in the background looking surprised. Maybe it's just my own imagination and that cover doesn't even exist.

Ok so I guess DC has a thing of putting Jason and Rose together right now? They just attempted it in DCeased Unkillables #2 today, before everything went to hell anyway.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Unkillables has the most monumentally stupid characters that I've ever seen.

I'm not very impressed by the 80th-anniversary issue. It is mostly about Dick but that is to be expected, he is the first Robin after all (although getting four stories of his own is a bit too much) but when it comes to Jason, it was just a retreading of previous stories/takes. Winnick's story doesn't add much to Jason as a character and is another "oh woe me" scene meant to tug at the reader's heartstrings by showing how close Bruce and Jason were in the past and how their relationship is broken now. It does make sense since it is meant to be placed during the original UtRH period, but as I said, it doesn't add anything new to that story. I do appreciate seeing a human, empathic Bruce again though.

Besides the Winnick story Jason has small appearance on Tynion's Tim story that is a lead up to Rebirth's Detective Comics on which, unsurprisingly, Jason is shown as the "sidekick gone wrong" that tries to tempt Tim to go astray by pointing out how Bruce has failed. And a small acknowledgment about his death on Robbie Thompson's Damian story.

Besides that, there's an extremely simplified "who's Who" section at the end giving a barebones explanation of each of the Robin's career, that oddly enough, it only mentions their pre N52 adventures with the exception of Agent 37 for Dick, and leading the Teen Titans for Damian.

Here's the Jason's bit

Rocafort's pinup is freaking amazing though.

We should overflow the net everywhere with content about Jason: fanarts, fanfics, posts, articles, polls... everywhere where there's an audience and a chance creators are looking there: twitter, facebook, tumblr, reddit... And to the hell if we're annoying. That way we achieve to objetives: gain awareness out there about how Jason really is, and show how cool and intersting he is, gaining new fans.

It works for me with my shameless promotion of the Discworld everywhere. It could work for fighting for Jason too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    We should overflow the net everywhere with content about Jason: fanarts, fanfics, posts, articles, polls... everywhere where there's an audience and a chance creators are looking there: twitter, facebook, tumblr, reddit... And to the hell if we're annoying. That way we achieve to objetives: gain awareness out there about how Jason really is, and show how cool and intersting he is, gaining new fans.

It works for me with my shameless promotion of the Discworld everywhere. It could work for fighting for Jason too.
    That's how we got RHATO in the first place, as matter of fact. People flooded DC's offices with postcards asking for a Red Hood ongoing.

I read it before I would've because... Stuff. I may get this one in paperback, because the whole batch of stories isn't bad overall.

Jason's story wasn't that bad. It was touching, nice but sad. I agree in that it seems that Winick only knows how to write a very limited kind of stories for Jason; but on the other hand... This whole issue was though to aim general audience, and like it or not, this is what the general audience seeks in Jason for a story. Which is why I said that before: let's work towards making people know that Jason is more than they know.

In any case, nice, very short, very simple story, with great art (I'm a big fan of Nguyen), even if I'm not too sold about the colours (but they fit the palette that they used for UtH, so I guess it makes sense). I like the analogy about Jason and the watch. I'm not too fond of Bruce having that much importance in his story: Jason's life is much more that everything revolving around Bruce and Batman. But again, it makes sense in that it's what general audience knows, and probably what Winick himself knows about him (I don't think he has been following his solo or anything else). And he did show a very conflicted relationship with Bruce in UtH, balancing between rage and melancholy.

Edit: just in case it was misleading. I liked this story a lot.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-18-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Jason's story was easily the best one. Bittersweet and simply heartwarming which is suitable for an anniversary story.

With all due respect to Lobdell (who I personally did enjoy his work despite my disappointment lately) and every writer who did their best with Jason, no one has yet to match Winnck's voice for him and get what made him popular in the first place. I have hope for Johns and the 3 jokers, but let's wait and see.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    [...]

Rocafort's pinup is freaking amazing though.

Cool. Ducra, Crux and Isabel are in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Jason's story was easily the best one. Bittersweet and simply heartwarming which is suitable for an anniversary story.

With all due respect to Lobdell (who I personally did enjoy his work despite my disappointment lately) and every writer who did their best with Jason, no one has yet to match Winnck's voice for him and get what made him popular in the first place. I have hope for Johns and the 3 jokers, but let's wait and see.
    Just in case, because I'm aware now that I was a bit misleading. I liked the story a lot too. It was very touching.

And I have to agree with you in this, too. But I wonder if Winick is aware about why I and others like his voice for him so much.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-18-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Finally getting to read this Robin thing now that I'm off work. I was not prepared for all these feels but Jason's hit the hardest so far XD

And of course, there's already a fanart of cute Robin Jason:

hyaena666

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Finally getting to read this Robin thing now that I'm off work. I was not prepared for all these feels but Jason's hit the hardest so far XD
    What an amazing story; I wish we had more of kind Todd. I would love a mini series by Nguyen and Winick that takes place during this time.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    What an amazing story; I wish we had more of kind Todd. I would love a mini series by Nguyen and Winick that takes place during this time.
    I would love Nguyen as a regular artist for Jason. He's right up my alley, he's soft, but can be hard, he's very expressive and has a wide range of style.

But I guess his is not explosive enough, given the kind of artistic style that they're asking for the book currently.