Sales data

124. RED HOOD OUTLAW #43 (DC) - 14,623 [130]

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...0/2020-02.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Sales data

124. RED HOOD OUTLAW #43 (DC) - 14,623 [130]

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...0/2020-02.html
    So it's a fact: we're falling down.
    Sigh, it's sad, especially now that the book is so enjoyable again :/.

Edit: hard to believe Hawkeye is so low too. I'm pretty sure it's doing better than that.

Extraordinary Member

Sales seem in general bad, even Batman is below 75K.

At least Unkillable did well (despite the weak artwork).

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Sales seem in general bad, even Batman is below 75K.

At least Unkillable did well (despite the weak artwork).
    True. There aren't that many great numbers.
    38,004 also feels kinda low for Batman: Pennyworth R.I.P., even if no one really liked the story. But it contains Bruce, Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian and Barbara - and it's written by Tomasi and Tynion.
    DC can't even exploit Alfred's death for money.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Jason is definitely a Titan on Titans Giant

DC has revealed the cover and contents to May 20's Titans Giant #2, with promise of a wedding engagement and threat of DC superheroes' secret identities revealed to the world.

In writer Phil Hester and artist Scott Koblish's "Bride of Blood," Deathstroke beseeches long-time adversaries, the Titans, to help him save his daughter Ravager after she was abducted by Brother Blood's Church of Blood. Red Hood believes Slade Wilson is telling the truth - but do the other Titans?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Jason was the first Robin in that universe, right? Since Murphy didn't know that Dick came first as he had very limited Batman lore knowledge before working on the series. So you figure it will be a very different take on the character possibly if he was the first Robin and Dick replaced him.
    Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with changing things up but if you're gonna write a story about Batman and his (former) sidekicks, how can you not know such a thing as in which order the Robins were?

This os sooooooo weird.
    I mean, I'm totally going to read it.

But it's very weird. The weirdest thing this month for me. Which is to say a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with changing things up but if you're gonna write a story about Batman and his (former) sidekicks, how can you not know such a thing as in which order the Robins were?
    This is a guess, but I've often read that Murphy is more of a fan of the derivative works than the comics themselves. He's a bit fan of the animated series, and those skipped Jason entirely. So his place in the order isn't probably clear for him, if he didn't follow the comics thoroughly until he was a teenager (which means he probably knows Dick and Tim better than Jason. And I'm going to guess and say that he probably doesn't know much about Damian either).

From there, it's easy, with the help of a little of imagination to fill the gasp, to imagine that Bruce's first sidekick was Jason, who died; and let Bruce broken; explaining why Dick and Bruce had a Rocky relationship in the end by the time Tim arrived to the comics. Instead of what we know that happened.

That, and mixing concepts, ideas, traits... Happens when you read stuff long ago, you read a ton of stuff afterwards, but don't re-read it later to refresh your memories.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-17-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Jason was the first Robin in that universe, right? Since Murphy didn't know that Dick came first as he had very limited Batman lore knowledge before working on the series. So you figure it will be a very different take on the character possibly if he was the first Robin and Dick replaced him.
    It's a reverse Robin universe. No Damian, as there was no reason for Talia, and therefore Ra', to be interested in Bruce. Duke is an adult and older than Jason, Barbara, and Dick with a military career behind him. No Tim as without Dick there's no feasible reason for Tim to have figured out Batman. No Stephanie or Cass because, again, when you remove Dick as the first Robin you remove most of Bruce's humanity and compassion. He has no reason to collect anyone but Jason whose origin has no connection to Dick.

By reversing Robins, the motivation for Jason to ever forgive Bruce and come back is also eliminated. There's no Talia to tell most versions of Jason that he's special, worthwhile, deeply loved, and missed. Nor is there a reason based on Dick for Jason to think that Bruce cared about him or anyone as more than a tool and an object to be used.

Hence Jason getting the heck out of Dodge after OG Harley released him and never coming back as Red Hood or Arkham Knight.

Overall it is a well thought out and excellent series that delves into how simple changes alter the characters. I'm disappointed that the powers that be have decided that Catwoman must be in everything and are going to kill the book's sales by shoving her in as a love interest instead of Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    It's a reverse Robin universe. No Damian, as there was no reason for Talia, and therefore Ra', to be interested in Bruce. Duke is an adult and older than Jason, Barbara, and Dick with a military career behind him. No Tim as without Dick there's no feasible reason for Tim to have figured out Batman. No Stephanie or Cass because, again, when you remove Dick as the first Robin you remove most of Bruce's humanity and compassion. He has no reason to collect anyone but Jason whose origin has no connection to Dick.

By reversing Robins, the motivation for Jason to ever forgive Bruce and come back is also eliminated. There's no Talia to tell most versions of Jason that he's special, worthwhile, deeply loved, and missed. Nor is there a reason based on Dick for Jason to think that Bruce cared about him or anyone as more than a tool and an object to be used.

Hence Jason getting the heck out of Dodge after OG Harley released him and never coming back as Red Hood or Arkham Knight.

Overall it is a well thought out and excellent series that delves into how simple changes alter the characters. I'm disappointed that the powers that be have decided that Catwoman must be in everything and are going to kill the book's sales by shoving her in as a love interest instead of Harley.
    Is this a fact or your theory, @Arct? I mean, it's a cool concept, but is as it is or...?

I feel like the cover is a reference to an other cover, but I'm not sure.

Also seems like DC is catering to fans of the Titans TV-series. (Although I'm not sure if those fans know that Red Hood is Jason Todd.)

Off-topic: Shay Veritas (who was part of the Generation Outlaw arc, RH:O #37-41) has an appearance in The Terrifics #26. She's part of the "T-Council", a group of some of the best scientists in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post

I mean, the fact is deviating so much is precisely the reason why is interesting, to see how Murphy can include these characters where the main facts about them in the regular universe is not present. Also, you do know that Murphy has all but confirmed this version of Jason is coming back as Red Hood, yes?

Travis Mercer

Travis Moore 17-03-2020.jpg

From his Instagram (so people have an idea how his style looks like):

Travis Mercer

"The many expressions of Jason todd....just some coloring practice for fun"

Travis Mercer

"Here was the final for the @dccomics unkillables #1. Jason and slade! Two fantastic characters! Oh and some zombies haha."

Mercer's work is very reminiscent of Scott Kollins' work. Not bad.

Spectacular Member
    Last edited by redmax99; 03-17-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Seems like our "Jason" story for the anniversary's special is going to be a very Robin-themed story after all. Or so it seems. We will know for sure tomorrow.

This is a link to the photo of a few panels of the actual issue, hosted and posted in Reddit /r/DCcomics. Beware the spoilers.

https://i.redd.it/7uc6kumtmbn41.jpg

And apparently, he shows up in a few other stories too.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-17-2020 at 08:38 PM.