Page 565 of 613 FirstFirst ... 65465515555561562563564565566567568569575 ... LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,475 of 9190
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sdawg View Post
    Storm wasn't outfighting Death. It literally wasn't until she broke Death's sword with Skybreaker that the odds turned in her favor, which is why I argue she needed that specific sword. The introduction of Skybreaker is no different that any other introduction of any new element in comic book history. Are there other things that could possibly have done the same things, possibly, but for whatever the story intends new things are introduced and that specific sword was needed. I guess we are making the same point but maybe arguing the effects of the plot device. I don't think it was useless. I think it did what was intended and it's importance was also demonstrated in the fight.

And maybe I'm thinking too much of this forum, but had Storm channeled her powers through the sword there would have been a huge uproar here lol. People were already complaining about this possibility basically insinuating that Marvel once again took away Storm's goddess status to give her another Stormcaster. People here were NOT happy with that idea at all. So it was nice that it didn't happen that way. However, given it didn't happen that way, I'm surprised at the reaction to it not happening that way lol. As I said, they were damned if they did or if they didn't.

I can accept your points about Adversary, however, the complaints seemed to be about the literal fight itself. It seemed people wanted an epic and long drawn out fight and were disappointed that Storm defeated Death in a "cliched" way. However people seemed much more satisfied with the fight between Storm and Adversary and Storm based on the the pictures just literally just blew Adversary away lol! So in terms of the actual fight, I don't understand how that was much more thrilling other than it certified Storm's status as a goddess and gave her an impressive feat beating Adversary. People also went crazy about the space feat and most of us couldn't even understand what happened from the pictures. So I'm speaking specifically of the fight itself. I get the importance of the Adversary fight to the narrative. I made a whole tribute post about it on my social media LMAO!!!
    She dodged an attack and deflected another, creating distance between them and leaving him open for an overhead strike. It looked like she was winning or at the very least not losing the entire time. So yea, I think if she had any blade that could withstand the Black Bone of Amduat she would've been fine, but that's obviously a hypothetical. Skybreaker wasn't needed for that specific fight, it was needed to break Storm and T'Challa up, it was useless as an actual narrative object because any blade they introduced could've done what that did given how it was used. But agree to disagree, given everything it had been shown able to do, using an arbitrary characteristic every sword in the tournament has (hard to break) seems like a waste. Not a bad fight but lacking the compelling action and emotionality of other Storm moments.

I don't disagree some would have complained, but I think you're overstating how irrational Storm fans (on this forum and others) can be lol. I've been wrong about that in the past but from everything we've seen the blade channels and enhances whatever energy is flowed through it, so if she put out massive amounts of energy she'd still be doing most of the work, the blade would just add to it a bit and channel it into strikes. Seems like a harmless thing to explode over, especially since given the mystical connections, the blade arguably would've enhanced her divine abilities if they wanted to go that route. Not replace them, but I'll concede how a handful of people would've taken it as an insult lol.

The complaints about the Death fight are rooted in how the event itself was billed, a swordfight, and the lack of compelling character work. People's expectations were that there'd be a mixture of powers and swords and that didn't exactly happen in most fights so the duel suffers from some people's deflated anticipation. They crossed blades like 3 times and Storm wins by doing the tropey "use the death stare against the villain" thing that's literally been done since the days of Ancient Greece lol. Storm and Adversary had more substantial buildup and actually followed through what people expected, Storm asserting her godhood in a big display of power while moving through the emotional turmoil of her relationship with T'Challa, Wakanda, and her own bloodline.

In visual mediums, it's not uncommon for the fights with the most emotional impact to be the most popular, even if they're not the most snazzy. Plenty of (if not most) Star Wars fans prefer the fights from the original trilogy over the prequels, despite not having as many kicks, flips, and force powers. But there was psychological and thematic tension there that made the duels more powerful, and Storm's fight against Adversary is similar. It wasn't big or drawn out, it was heavy with character building, which nearly always trumps basic fight scenes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    She dodged an attack and deflected another, creating distance between them and leaving him open for an overhead strike. It looked like she was winning or at the very least not losing the entire time. So yea, I think if she had any blade that could withstand the Black Bone of Amduat she would've been fine, but that's obviously a hypothetical. Skybreaker wasn't needed for that specific fight, it was needed to break Storm and T'Challa up, it was useless as an actual narrative object because any blade they introduced could've done what that did given how it was used. But agree to disagree, given everything it had been shown able to do, using an arbitrary characteristic every sword in the tournament has (hard to break) seems like a waste. Not a bad fight but lacking the compelling action and emotionality of other Storm moments.

I don't disagree some would have complained, but I think you're overstating how irrational Storm fans (on this forum and others) can be lol. I've been wrong about that in the past but from everything we've seen the blade channels and enhances whatever energy is flowed through it, so if she put out massive amounts of energy she'd still be doing most of the work, the blade would just add to it a bit and channel it into strikes. Seems like a harmless thing to explode over, especially since given the mystical connections, the blade arguably would've enhanced her divine abilities if they wanted to go that route. Not replace them, but I'll concede how a handful of people would've taken it as an insult lol.

The complaints about the Death fight are rooted in how the event itself was billed, a swordfight, and the lack of compelling character work. People's expectations were that there'd be a mixture of powers and swords and that didn't exactly happen in most fights so the duel suffers from some people's deflated anticipation. They crossed blades like 3 times and Storm wins by doing the tropey "use the death stare against the villain" thing that's literally been done since the days of Ancient Greece lol. Storm and Adversary had more substantial buildup and actually followed through what people expected, Storm asserting her godhood in a big display of power while moving through the emotional turmoil of her relationship with T'Challa, Wakanda, and her own bloodline.

In visual mediums, it's not uncommon for the fights with the most emotional impact to be the most popular, even if they're not the most snazzy. Plenty of (if not most) Star Wars fans prefer the fights from the original trilogy over the prequels, despite not having as many kicks, flips, and force powers. But there was psychological and thematic tension there that made the duels more powerful, and Storm's fight against Adversary is similar. It wasn't big or drawn out, it was heavy with character building, which nearly always trumps basic fight scenes.
    I wouldn't say she winning the fight. If anything she was definitely on the defensive until the sword shattered. However, I respect where you're coming from. I agree it could have been any sword theoretically but the writers decided to make that particular sword important and it served it's purpose in both the function of creating tension and in the fight. I think the issue is if they properly executed the importance of it to the reader and I guess this is where we differ. If this were the Claremont days where everything was verbally explained I would say no. But given the current climate of comics I don't see a problem in its execution.

The sword zapping was a problem on the forum due to the breakup of Storm and Wakanda and the interpretation of the prophecy that Storm was not a goddess, which some people interpreted (perhaps correctly) that the X Office was simply trying to undo everything that Coates had done. They had reason to believe this because Guggenheim trolled Coates very often especially by bringing back Stormcaster and denouncing Storm's godhood literally at the same time that Coates revealed her to be one. So I get the panic and outrage. I'm just surprised that, at least up until now, Skybreaker has not been Stormcaster 2 but has still been met with a somewhat cold response. Ironically, it seems they are upset she didn't do more with the sword lol. Of course, this is partially due to the stakes she put in to get the sword so I get it but still it's quite an interesting dynamic. It may also be a cross section with general disappointment at least on the forum with the event as a whole. (I do believe though that the event has been received quite well in general though.)

Yes, I do think people are genuinely disappointed about the lack of sword fights. That being said, Storm's fight was definitely one of the better represented ones. I also agree with your assessment about how emotional impact matters, however, I think that's a bit of a high expectation in these duels considering that Adversary was the main/only villain in a long story arc and here we have a whole slew of characters we know very little about other than that they are supposed to be bad ass lol. The only ones that have enough emotional content to make that type of fight happen is perhaps Apocalypse and Genesis and to me that's pushing it a bit because we still don't know a whole lot about Genesis. So to expect that from a Storm fight in this event to me is a very high expectation. Given her status in the story, I think the fight was pretty fair.
    Last edited by Sdawg; 11-20-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Is it weird that the Mauraders issue says Skybreaker and shoot energy, but that function wasn't used, especially since Storm couldn't use her powers?

I think most people here realize that lol. I think the difference is how that event is coloring the experience people are having with the rest of the events of the story. Because some people think the premise is stupid, then the entire story is stupid and they are entitled to that opinion. I also hated the Skybreaker piece but not because of the effects on Storm's relationship to Wakanda. I for one am growing tired of everything Storm does being tied back to Wakanda. She has her own background and lineage, yet she can't seem to develop her own because she's always in Wakanda. I do realize that most of her current development happened due to the Black Panther storyline, but being in the Black Panther books also puts limitations on her development because everything would always have to be tied to Black Panther and the Wakanda mythos in some way to justify it being in the Black Panther book. If Storm and Black Panther had their own book it would be different, but because it's Black Panther she would always have to play second fiddle or get development and make all Black Panther fans mad LMAO! This is another reason why I'm not necessarily a fan of the couple. I thought it was stupid too that Skybreaker had to be in Wakanda but it was and for reasons that are very clear to all of us.

That being said, what I like about this event and story is that unlike past events and stories where Storm was promised some level of prominence, she's actually been present. She has not been spending most of the time laying on the ground unconscious (Avengers, the biggest let down of my life) or shooting lighting throughout the majority of the event. And whether people think it's a feat or not, I personally feel her victory over Death and doing so much work without her powers has reestablished that Storm is no joke and has resources that go beyond just shooting lightning. All she needs to do now is pick a good lock lol! So that's why even with the foolishness of Skybreaker I feel like this event is more of a win for Storm.
    This post has so much wrong with it. But I'm just going to address the ones I have an issue with.
    The XBooks have done nothing with her and refuse to enrich her , her past and mythos. Many are great ful for her stint in Black Panther , cause she actually got fleshed out. And now once she been return to the xofffice, they still don't know what to do her to the point, the only thing they know how to do is either rehash or exploit her Wakandian connection, base of the recent Black panther franchise success. And still won't build upon the character. And this constant playing second fiddle thing is so stupid when she literally has to fight for screen, panel time, From a team cast of hundreds.

Yea they made her a omgea whoopit due we've been known this. What about her windriderahip. Her being princess. Her family, her villian. Heck , alchem el jabar could of been made appearance. Yuriko .
    Last edited by BlkGldBlu; 11-20-2020 at 10:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Is it weird that the Mauraders issue says Skybreaker and shoot energy, but that function wasn't used, especially since Storm couldn't use her powers?
    I try not to think too much about since Storm will never use the Sword again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mah_Boons View Post
    I try not to think too much about since Storm will never use the Sword again.
    I’m hoping she does. Its small enough to be a big knife for her to carry on the regular (along with her secreted lock picks). And, since its no really needed just yet (but could be helpful in other stories), that she just uses it as a srandard edge weapon and not leverage the energy channeling/amping attribute of the blade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    I’m hoping she does. Its small enough to be a big knife for her to carry on the regular (along with her secreted lock picks). And, since its no really needed just yet (but could be helpful in other stories), that she just uses it as a srandard edge weapon and not leverage the energy channeling/amping attribute of the blade.
    Oh I Agree.

I don’t mind Storm having Weapons. People seem to forget Storm is a master Marksman and Skilled in using Weapons. That’s why I had no problem with Stormcaster. But your right using Stormbreaker would open many story development. I rather Storm keep it. But if she must give it back then I won’t lose sleep about it. Just have her fly over to Wakanda and throw in T’Challa’s face. Lol

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't say she winning the fight. If anything she was definitely on the defensive until the sword shattered. However, I respect where you're coming from. I agree it could have been any sword theoretically but the writers decided to make that particular sword important and it served it's purpose in both the function of creating tension and in the fight. I think the issue is if they properly executed the importance of it to the reader and I guess this is where we differ. If this were the Claremont days where everything was verbally explained I would say no. But given the current climate of comics I don't see a problem in its execution.

The sword zapping was a problem on the forum due to the breakup of Storm and Wakanda and the interpretation of the prophecy that Storm was not a goddess, which some people interpreted (perhaps correctly) that the X Office was simply trying to undo everything that Coates had done. They had reason to believe this because Guggenheim trolled Coates very often especially by bringing back Stormcaster and denouncing Storm's godhood literally at the same time that Coates revealed her to be one. So I get the panic and outrage. I'm just surprised that, at least up until now, Skybreaker has not been Stormcaster 2 but has still been met with a somewhat cold response. Ironically, it seems they are upset she didn't do more with the sword lol. Of course, this is partially due to the stakes she put in to get the sword so I get it but still it's quite an interesting dynamic. It may also be a cross section with general disappointment at least on the forum with the event as a whole. (I do believe though that the event has been received quite well in general though.)

Yes, I do think people are genuinely disappointed about the lack of sword fights. That being said, Storm's fight was definitely one of the better represented ones. I also agree with your assessment about how emotional impact matters, however, I think that's a bit of a high expectation in these duels considering that Adversary was the main/only villain in a long story arc and here we have a whole slew of characters we know very little about other than that they are supposed to be bad ass lol. The only ones that have enough emotional content to make that type of fight happen is perhaps Apocalypse and Genesis and to me that's pushing it a bit because we still don't know a whole lot about Genesis. So to expect that from a Storm fight in this event to me is a very high expectation. Given her status in the story, I think the fight was pretty fair.
    She was dodging and parrying his strikes, I'd say at worst they were even. If she did an overhead strike with Muramasa, even if it didn't shatter Death's blade I think there's a strong argument that she would still be able to fight, especially since she only seemed to be getting stronger as time went on. She went from dodging all the way to redirecting his attacks and controlling the flow of combat, all without using these so-called special abilities that include producing energy/lightning. I think it's fairly obvious any sword with the structural integrity could've done that, but agree to disagree. It wasn't Skybreaker because it served a plot purpose, it was Skybreaker because it served a greater editorial purpose, otherwise if they wanted to complete the buildup from Marauders #13 they would've showed other features. So I agree it fulfilled it's purpose editorially but didn't quite live up to expectations narratively.

Skybreaker was lukewarmly received by some Storm fans because of the story surrounding its creation and the contrivance of its retrieval. That and looking at X-Force, it didn't quite show itself to be anymore impressive than any other hypothetical blade could've been. Relative to how it had originally been depicted, of course. Stormcaster gets a worse rep because of how it was clearly used to deemphasize Coates' work on another book and that's at least something worth complaining about lol. For Skybreaker it's kinda just... there. And I echo the sentiments of others that it probably won't matter past this event, unless it's used to create drama between Krakoa and Wakanda.

Like I said, my expectations were always low and those expectations were met. People who were expecting an Adversary-level moment for Storm were setting themselves up for disappointment because it was clearly stated by the editor this wasn't Storm's big story. That comes next year (allegedly). So on that basis alone, I agree it's not fair to compare her fight with Death versus her fight with Adversary. They were two entirely different contexts, but you asked why Storm fans had a stronger, more unified response to the latter and I think it comes down to emotional buildup and narrative potential. Her fight with Death was never gonna be as grand or complex, which is fine if people accept not every Storm battle is gonna be some huge, eye-opening affair.

Astonishing Member

Skybreaker's use in the actual story was never supposed to make sense. It's an editorial tool to break her and T'Challa up and any other function it had is secondary. So it is a bit deflating that it wasn't used to it's full potential, but think about it. If we didn't get an idea of its potential and relevance to Wakandan lore then it wouldn't have been good for its actual purpose.

If it was just a short sword some random BP created no one would've cared. So making it the "Voice of the Heavens", giving it semi-mystical energy projection, and making it the basis of Wakandan prosperity was just building hype for a tool that won't matter in a few months. Unless they need to incorporate more T'Challa into DOX when Storm needs something to do lol.
    Last edited by chief12d; 11-20-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Baby I know y'all love to discuss Storm but I can't be reading all these novels y'all be writing on here and try to engage. I'ma come back later lol

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Like the second half of this event...Skybreaker is irrelevant.
    Storm is an OL mutant she really doesn't need any "accessories" like swords and hammers and other such obvious plot contrivances, to fight with.

And this is (one of) my main issue with this entire event. For as useless as the swords themselves have been to the bearers and the plot specifically Tini and Co. could have just as well left them out entirely or not given them such prominence, and left it as solely Tarot related.

The writers all got carried away and had too many contributing ideas and JDW and Hix-Man were too afraid to say "No...let's keep it simple and straightforward, please".
    And here we are...overcooked, over-seasoned, soup, that's still boiling over on the stove and making a godawful mess in the kitchen.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Like the second half of this event...Skybreaker is irrelevant.
    Storm is an OL mutant she really doesn't need any "accessories" like swords and hammers and other such obvious plot contrivances, to fight with.

And this is (one of) my main issue with this entire event. For as useless as the swords themselves have been to the bearers and the plot specifically Tini and Co. could have just as well left them out entirely or not given them such prominence, and left it as solely Tarot related.

The writers all got carried away and had too many contributing ideas and JDW and Hix-Man were too afraid to say "No...let's keep it simple and straightforward, please".
    And here we are...overcooked, over-seasoned, soup, that's still boiling over on the stove and making a godawful mess in the kitchen.
    Hellions is the one part I really enjoy. If the stove is boiling over, Hellions is the crescent rolls in the the toaster over at a perfect golden brown.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Hellions is the one part I really enjoy. If the stove is boiling over, Hellions is the crescent rolls in the the toaster over at a perfect golden brown.
    Fragrant and mouthwatering.
    OMGoddess...yes eh! Absofekkinlutely!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Mmmm Biscuits......

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Skybreaker's use in the actual story was never supposed to make sense. It's an editorial tool to break her and T'Challa up and any other function it had is secondary. So it is a bit deflating that it wasn't used to it's full potential, but think about it. If we didn't get an idea of its potential and relevance to Wakandan lore then it wouldn't have been good for its actual purpose.

If it was just a short sword some random BP created no one would've cared. So making it the "Voice of the Heavens", giving it semi-mystical energy projection, and making it the basis of Wakandan prosperity was just building hype for a tool that won't matter in a few months. Unless they need to incorporate more T'Challa into DOX when Storm needs something to do lol.
    They use it for making sandwiches and cutting hard cheese.