Page 564 of 613 FirstFirst ... 64464514554560561562563564565566567568574 ... LastLast
Results 8,446 to 8,460 of 9190

Quote Originally Posted by Mah_Boons View Post
    That is a Great Point.

His Wolverine is very enjoyable. I’m not a Fan of Wolverine, but it is a good read. Tbh, if Percy asked to write a Storm solo I wouldn’t be down for it. Now, as for his X-Force book your right it is a bit lacking, and some characters seem to get way more shine than others. But it’s also a good read as well.

I’m Happy. I like the direction Storm is going.
    If he asked to write a Storm solo and they gave it to him i would definitely give it a shot because i feel he would show me something i didn't know i want to see. Which i like. Beyond that, my ideal Storm solo would be a group project by all of the current x-writers where each take an arc or two writing a Storm solo and switch off but with an of course overall collaborative goal.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Its made of special vibranium it should shatter most metals
    Thank you for posting, Im glad I'm not the only one who understands this. I try not to be the loudest Wakadian the in the room.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    If he asked to write a Storm solo and they gave it to him i would definitely give it a shot because i feel he would show me something i didn't know i want to see. Which i like. Beyond that, my ideal Storm solo would be a group project by all of the current x-writers where each take an arc or two writing a Storm solo and switch off but with an of course overall collaborative goal.
    Oops Correction. I WOULD be down. Yes if Percy wanted to write a Storm solo I would definitely read it. And not just Percy. If Vita Ayala, Gerry Duggan, Jonathan Hickman if any of these X-Writers asked to write a Storm solo I would 100% be on board. IMO these particular writers have proven to me that they know how to write Storm. And it also shows that the X-Office are not stupid. They know Storm’s worth.

And it’s not just them Ta-Nehisi Coates writes Storm very well too. I don’t like his style of writing, but he’s good. NOW is the time for a Storm solo. I just hope they don’t waste this opportunity by making us all wait.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I think the sooner people realize Skybreaker was made as a plot device to separate Storm from T'Challa and (potentially) set up conflict between Wakanda and Krakoa the easier it is to accept how the story went down. Storm was drunk, went up against a thousand year old warrior, didn't have access to her powers and won in a boring, cliche way. It was fine imo, nothing particularly great because Death never came off as impressive to begin with.

That could've been done with any sword with the structural integrity, it was Skybreaker because it served a very specific purpose bigger than a single fight. So how it fits into the wider story of XoS is irrelevant and probably shouldn't be over analyzed too much. Assuming it's not used by the X-office to create tension with another franchise, it won't be relevant unless they want to give Storm a h2h feat. I'm almost certain it gets retconned by the next Black Panther writer anyway so it's not a big deal for me. Storm hasn't died yet and T'Challa potentially might get a new love interest in King in Black anyway so nothing was lost. Let Storm keep the sword and keep it moving lol.
    I think most people here realize that lol. I think the difference is how that event is coloring the experience people are having with the rest of the events of the story. Because some people think the premise is stupid, then the entire story is stupid and they are entitled to that opinion. I also hated the Skybreaker piece but not because of the effects on Storm's relationship to Wakanda. I for one am growing tired of everything Storm does being tied back to Wakanda. She has her own background and lineage, yet she can't seem to develop her own because she's always in Wakanda. I do realize that most of her current development happened due to the Black Panther storyline, but being in the Black Panther books also puts limitations on her development because everything would always have to be tied to Black Panther and the Wakanda mythos in some way to justify it being in the Black Panther book. If Storm and Black Panther had their own book it would be different, but because it's Black Panther she would always have to play second fiddle or get development and make all Black Panther fans mad LMAO! This is another reason why I'm not necessarily a fan of the couple. I thought it was stupid too that Skybreaker had to be in Wakanda but it was and for reasons that are very clear to all of us.

That being said, what I like about this event and story is that unlike past events and stories where Storm was promised some level of prominence, she's actually been present. She has not been spending most of the time laying on the ground unconscious (Avengers, the biggest let down of my life) or shooting lighting throughout the majority of the event. And whether people think it's a feat or not, I personally feel her victory over Death and doing so much work without her powers has reestablished that Storm is no joke and has resources that go beyond just shooting lightning. All she needs to do now is pick a good lock lol! So that's why even with the foolishness of Skybreaker I feel like this event is more of a win for Storm.
    Last edited by Sdawg; 11-19-2020 at 08:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sdawg View Post
    I think most people here realize that lol. I think the difference is how that event is coloring the experience people are having with the rest of the events of the story. Because some people think the premise is stupid, then the entire story is stupid and they are entitled to that opinion. I also hated the Skybreaker piece but not because of the effects on Storm's relationship to Wakanda. I for one am growing tired of everything Storm does being tied back to Wakanda. She has her own background and lineage, yet she can't seem to develop her own because she's always in Wakanda. I do realize that most of her current development happened due to the Black Panther storyline, but being in the Black Panther books also puts limitations on her development because everything would always have to be tied to Black Panther and the Wakanda mythos in some way to justify it being in the Black Panther book. If Storm and Black Panther had their own book it would be different, but because it's Black Panther she would always have to play second fiddle or get development and make all Black Panther fans mad LMAO! This is another reason why I'm not necessarily a fan of the couple. I thought it was stupid too that Skybreaker had to be in Wakanda but it was and for reasons that are very clear to all of us.

That being said, what I like about this event and story is that unlike past events and stories where Storm was promised some level of prominence, she's actually been present. She has not been spending most of the time laying on the ground unconscious (Avengers, the biggest let down of my life) or shooting lighting throughout the majority of the event. And whether people think it's a feat or not, I personally feel her victory over Death and doing so much work without her powers has reestablished that Storm is no joke and has resources that go beyond just shooting lightning. So that's why even with the foolishness of Skybreaker I feel like this event is more of a win for Storm.
    Everything you just said I Agree 100%.

Astonishing Member

I think most people here realize that lol. I think the difference is how that event is coloring the experience people are having with the rest of the events of the story. Because some people think the premise is stupid, then the entire story is stupid and they are entitled to that opinion. I also hated the Skybreaker piece but not because of the effects on Storm's relationship to Wakanda. I for one am growing tired of everything Storm does being tied back to Wakanda. She has her own background and lineage, yet she can't seem to develop her own because she's always in Wakanda. This is another reason why I'm not necessarily a fan of the couple. I thought it was stupid too that Skybreaker had to be in Wakanda but it was and for reasons that are very clear to all of us.

That being said, what I like about this event and story is that unlike past events and stories where Storm was promised some level of prominence, she's actually been present. She has not been spending most of the time laying on the ground unconscious (Avengers, the biggest let down of my life) or shooting lighting throughout the majority of the event. And whether people think it's a feat or not, I personally feel her victory over Death and doing so much work without her powers has reestablished that Storm is no joke and has resources that go beyond just shooting lightning. So that's why even with the foolishness of Skybreaker I feel like this event is more of a win for Storm.
    It's possible to think Marauders #13 was dumb and still believe this event didn't deliver, whether we're speaking in terms of Storm specifically or the event as a whole. And it's possible to hold both those beliefs without necessarily associating them, though that's a bit hard to do when Marauders #13 is part of the event lol. In a meta sense we can agree that Skybreaker was more a tool to break Storm and T'Challa up/set up potential conflict, but that doesn't mean one can't scrutinize how it was used in subsequent events in-universe.

There's a legitimate argument to be made it's a bit dumb she stole this all-important sword and damaged an important relationship she had just to barely use to a fraction of its potential and basically do what she could've done with any tough enough sword. I think it undersells the emotional turmoil and that it made for a less compelling fight sequence. I just don't see the point in complaining about that when Skybreaker wasn't designed to make much sense within the narrative of XoS. It's a editorial plot device that won't matter in a few months barring the X-office trying to incorporate more Black Panther drama to fuel Storm's arc. Though it does raise the question of whether it would've been better to break them up another way so Storm's first major role in an DOX event wouldn't be tied to her ex-husband. Seems like a missed opportunity and like I've been saying, if the sword is used a backdoor to have Wakandan politics play a bigger role in DOX then both Storm and T'Challa will be poorer for it.

And taking Skybreaker out the equation I can see why fans would be underwhelmed by her role in this event so far. I think it's been decent, but far from great, but that's what I expected because this isn't the big Storm story allegedly being planned. Many Storm fans valued her relationship with Wakanda and now that's gone. She doesn't exactly look that great for cosigning Wolverine's stupid attempt at killing an omniversal goddess. And while she's been confident there really hasn't been much else to her characterization in this bloated, disjointed series. She's the rather conventional "big gun mother goddess" that she's generally always written as, with a bit more sass than we normally get to see from her. It's a solid 6/10 for me and for a story not focused on her, that's fine. Better than most recent events, but I expect much more next year.
    Last edited by chief12d; 11-19-2020 at 09:01 PM.

That being said, what I like about this event and story is that unlike past events and stories where Storm was promised some level of prominence, she's actually been present. She has not been spending most of the time laying on the ground unconscious (Avengers, the biggest let down of my life) or shooting lighting throughout the majority of the event. And whether people think it's a feat or not, I personally feel her victory over Death and doing so much work without her powers has reestablished that Storm is no joke and has resources that go beyond just shooting lightning. All she needs to do now is pick a good lock lol! So that's why even with the foolishness of Skybreaker I feel like this event is more of a win for Storm.
    Pretty much all this.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Fantastic Member

It's possible to think Marauders #13 was dumb and still believe this event didn't deliver, whether we're speaking in terms of Storm specifically or the event as a whole. And it's possible to hold both those beliefs without necessarily associating them, though that's a bit hard to do when Marauders #13 is part of the event lol. In a meta sense we can agree that Skybreaker was more a tool to break Storm and T'Challa up/set up potential conflict, but that doesn't mean one can't scrutinize how it was used in subsequent events in-universe.

There's a legitimate argument to be made it's a bit dumb she stole this all-important sword and damaged an important relationship she had just to barely use to a fraction of its potential and basically do what she could've done with any tough enough sword. I think it undersells the emotional turmoil and that it made for a less compelling fight sequence. I just don't see the point in complaining about that when Skybreaker wasn't designed to make much sense within the narrative of XoS. It's a editorial plot device that won't matter in a few months barring the X-office trying to incorporate more Black Panther drama to fuel Storm's arc. Though it does raise the question of whether it would've been better to break them up another way so Storm's first major role in an DOX event wouldn't be tied to her ex-husband. Seems like a missed opportunity and like I've been saying, if the sword is used a backdoor to have Wakandan politics play a bigger role in DOX then both Storm and T'Challa will be poorer for it.

And taking Skybreaker out the equation I can see why fans would be underwhelmed by her role in this event so far. I think it's been decent, but far from great, but that's what I expected because this isn't the big Storm story allegedly being planned. Many Storm fans valued her relationship with Wakanda and now that's gone. She doesn't exactly look that great for cosigning Wolverine's stupid attempt at killing an omniversal goddess. And while she's been confident there really hasn't been much else to her characterization in this bloated, disjointed series. She's the rather conventional "big gun mother goddess" that she's generally always written as, with a bit more sass than we normally get to see from her. It's a solid 6/10 for me and for a story not focused on her, that's fine. Better than most recent events, but I expect much more next year.
    Yes that is possible and I also can understand those who are underwhelmed. I do disagree that she could have done what she did with any tough enough sword. Death had a "legendary" sword as well, so who's to say any other sword would have had that effect? Who's to say that any other sword besides Skybreaker could have handled the blows from Death's sword? And as I said in the very same post, it seemed that Storm was damned if she did or didn't because while people are underwhelmed with what she actually did with the sword, they were also offended at the sword being a possible power boost for her too. So what should have been done? I think regardless of how they broke her up it would have been criticized. Honestly, this break up was 10 thousand times better than the mess that happened in AvX lol.

As far as her characterization, I think it's been much better than most of what's been done with her in recent XMen books. We haven't really had a strong, capable, and contributing Storm like this in a long time in the Xbooks. No it's no where near the level she was at in her heyday but it is a bit of redemption and value added to her stock in the Xbooks and that is a good thing. It seems like they are really trying to push to reintegrate the parts of Storm that made her such a formidable character back in the early days into the modern era, hence the connections back to her days as a thief or work without her powers. Overall, she hasn't been used like this in an X Story in quite a while.

I do have a question though? Why are people underwhelmed with her fight with Death? It just occurred to me that most of us were satisfied with her fight with Adversary because it solidified her goddess status. But wasn't that fight over in like one panel (I can't remember clearly) but even though it was epic it wasn't illustrated or narrated in such a way LOL! And even the feat out in space most of us had no clue what she actually did based on the illustrations lol. Just a question.

Yes that is possible and I also can understand those who are underwhelmed. I do disagree that she could have done what she did with any tough enough sword. Death had a "legendary" sword as well, so who's to say any other sword would have had that effect? Who's to say that any other sword besides Skybreaker could have handled the blows from Death's sword? And as I said in the very same post, it seemed that Storm was damned if she did or didn't because while people are underwhelmed with what she actually did with the sword, they were also offended at the sword being a possible power boost for her too. So what should have been done? I think regardless of how they broke her up it would have been criticized. Honestly, this break up was 10 thousand times better than the mess that happened in AvX lol.

As far as her characterization, I think it's been much better than most of what's been done with her in recent XMen books. We haven't really had a strong, capable, and contributing Storm like this in a long time in the Xbooks. No it's no where near the level she was at in her heyday but it is a bit of redemption and value added to her stock in the Xbooks and that is a good thing. It seems like they are really trying to push to reintegrate the parts of Storm that made her such a formidable character back in the early days into the modern era, hence the connections back to her days as a thief or work without her powers. Overall, she hasn't been used like this in an X Story in quite a while.

I do have a question though? Why are people underwhelmed with her fight with Death? It just occurred to me that most of us were satisfied with her fight with Adversary because it solidified her goddess status. But wasn't that fight over in like one panel (I can't remember clearly) but even though it was epic it wasn't illustrated or narrated in such a way LOL! And even the feat out in space most of us had no clue what she actually did based on the illustrations lol. Just a question.
    I'm curious about that too with the fight. It had the most pages. It was well drawn. It was meaningful, it was in character and she won while severely handicapped but it was still believable given the properties of her blade. So would have thought more Storm fans would have seen it as a feat too. It also showed her indomitable will.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Many Storm fans valued her relationship with Wakanda and now that's gone.
    Truth be told we do have a lot of Fans that would not be that upset if their relationship were gone. Don’t forget there does exist a large fanbase who don’t care much for the pairing as opposed to those who do.

I'm curious about that too with the fight. It had the most pages. It was well drawn. It was meaningful, it was in character and she won while severely handicapped but it was still believable given the properties of her blade. So would have thought more Storm fans would have seen it as a feat too. It also showed her indomitable will.
    Honestly??? That’s News too me. I didn’t know some Storm Fans didn’t like the Fight Scenes. I’d say that’s VERY hypocritical of them considering EVERY Storm fan has the fight scene posted on their Twitter Feed, Instagram and Facebook LOL.

But if people are not happy with the fight. I’d like to know what would they want or how do they expect the fight to go down???
    Last edited by Mah_Boons; 11-19-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mah_Boons View Post
    Truth be told we do have a lot of Fans that would not be that upset if their relationship were gone. Don’t forget there does exist a large fanbase who don’t care much for the pairing as opposed to those who do.

Honestly??? That’s News too me. I didn’t know some Storm Fans didn’t like the Fight Scenes. I’d say that’s VERY hypocritical of them considering EVERY Storm fan has the fight scene posted on their Twitter Feed, Instagram and Facebook LOL.

But if people are not happy with the fight. I’d like to know what would they want or how do they expect the fight to go down???
    It's nice to get some semblance of outside perspective. I really only get my comic stuff here and don't do any other ones so i can't really say how the fight itself is being taken overall with the general storm fans just some of the ones in this community.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

That's the point I'm making. It was an arbitrary narrative decision that Skybreaker had to be the sword that broke Death's blade. We have no frame of reference for how strong his sword was prior, so I ask, who's to say that there wasn't a sword besides Skybreaker that could handle what he dished out lol? Most of the swords in this event can cut through metal and stone with ease, so I could easily argue Muramasa could've done what Skybreaker did. And considering she seemed to be outfighting Death anyway I'm under the impression she could've disarmed him altogether, meaning she wouldn't need a blade as strong as Skybreaker anyway. Just one that Death couldn't destroy lol.

But Storm wasn't asked to get Muramasa, she was told to get Skybreaker, which conveniently ended up damaging her relationship with T'Challa. It's relevance and cohesion to the plot is irrelevant because that's not what it was created for. Though I agree it was better than AvX and that there was no way to break them up without some controversy. That said, I highly doubt that many Storm fans would've complained about Storm getting a huge power display with wind and lightning, but channeled through her sword. I think that's what most people were expecting at least until a week before the event turned into an irreverent fairytale contest. Would some have complained, sure, but I think we would've gotten a more compelling and emotional fight out of it, though I respect people thinking it was a great duel.

The fight between her and Death not being as compelling as I anticipated kinda reflects how I've felt about her depiction throughout the event. It's not outright bad, but it's not great either, and that's not comparing it to peak Storm of the 80's or anything. Like I said, it's basic "big gun, mother goddess" Storm with some added sass since this is a rather quip-heavy event. It's what I expect on a consistent basis and because that basic expectation is finally being met I hesitate to call it anything more than "fine". It's like her solo book, a lot of greatest hits, not much new or exciting. We've seen thief Storm, we've seen badass powerless Storm, and while I'm happy to see it, it's the basics and it's serviceable for what it is.

I get why people liked the Adversary battle. He'd been shown to be an actual threat (defeating most of Wakanda's conventional and superpowered defenses) and his defeat fueled Storm's development as a character. It solidified her reconciliation with T'Challa and created a spiritual connection to Wakanda that opened up new storytelling possibilities. She also accepted a piece of herself that she had long been unaware or disinterested in exploring and had a moment where she overcame great (if a bit cliche) mental hardship to rise to the occasion in a way she hadn't in a long time. It was a brief battle but the emotional buildup was substantial. I find it a stronger moment than what she had with Death both in terms of actual scale and narrative pay-off.

Fantastic Member

That's the point I'm making. It was an arbitrary narrative decision that Skybreaker had to be the sword that broke Death's blade. We have no frame of reference for how strong his sword was prior, so I ask, who's to say that there wasn't a sword besides Skybreaker that could handle what he dished out lol? Most of the swords in this event can cut through metal and stone with ease, so I could easily argue Muramasa could've done what Skybreaker did. And considering she seemed to be outfighting Death anyway I'm under the impression she could've disarmed him altogether, meaning she wouldn't need a blade as strong as Skybreaker anyway. Just one that Death couldn't destroy lol.

But Storm wasn't asked to get Muramasa, she was told to get Skybreaker, which conveniently ended up damaging her relationship with T'Challa. It's relevance and cohesion to the plot is irrelevant because that's not what it was created for. Though I agree it was better than AvX and that there was no way to break them up without some controversy. That said, I highly doubt that many Storm fans would've complained about Storm getting a huge power display with wind and lightning, but channeled through her sword. I think that's what most people were expecting at least until a week before the event turned into an irreverent fairytale contest. Would some have complained, sure, but I think we would've gotten a more compelling and emotional fight out of it, though I respect people thinking it was a great duel.

The fight between her and Death not being as compelling as I anticipated kinda reflects how I've felt about her depiction throughout the event. It's not outright bad, but it's not great either, and that's not comparing it to peak Storm of the 80's or anything. Like I said, it's basic "big gun, mother goddess" Storm with some added sass since this is a rather quip-heavy event. It's what I expect on a consistent basis and because that basic expectation is finally being met I hesitate to call it anything more than "fine". It's like her solo book, a lot of greatest hits, not much new or exciting. We've seen thief Storm, we've seen badass powerless Storm, and while I'm happy to see it, it's the basics and it's serviceable for what it is.

I get why people liked the Adversary battle. He'd been shown to be an actual threat (defeating most of Wakanda's conventional and superpowered defenses) and his defeat fueled Storm's development as a character. It solidified her reconciliation with T'Challa and created a spiritual connection to Wakanda that opened up new storytelling possibilities. She also accepted a piece of herself that she had long been unaware or disinterested in exploring and had a moment where she overcame great (if a bit cliche) mental hardship to rise to the occasion in a way she hadn't in a long time. It was a brief battle but the emotional buildup was substantial. I find it a stronger moment than what she had with Death both in terms of actual scale and narrative pay-off.
    Storm wasn't outfighting Death. It literally wasn't until she broke Death's sword with Skybreaker that the odds turned in her favor, which is why I argue she needed that specific sword. The introduction of Skybreaker is no different that any other introduction of any new element in comic book history. Are there other things that could possibly have done the same things, possibly, but for whatever the story intends new things are introduced and that specific sword was needed. I guess we are making the same point but maybe arguing the effects of the plot device. I don't think it was useless. I think it did what was intended and it's importance was also demonstrated in the fight.

And maybe I'm thinking too much of this forum, but had Storm channeled her powers through the sword there would have been a huge uproar here lol. People were already complaining about this possibility basically insinuating that Marvel once again took away Storm's goddess status to give her another Stormcaster. People here were NOT happy with that idea at all. So it was nice that it didn't happen that way. However, given it didn't happen that way, I'm surprised at the reaction to it not happening that way lol. As I said, they were damned if they did or if they didn't.

I can accept your points about Adversary, however, the complaints seemed to be about the literal fight itself. It seemed people wanted an epic and long drawn out fight and were disappointed that Storm defeated Death in a "cliched" way. However people seemed much more satisfied with the fight between Storm and Adversary and Storm based on the the pictures just literally just blew Adversary away lol! So in terms of the actual fight, I don't understand how that was much more thrilling other than it certified Storm's status as a goddess and gave her an impressive feat beating Adversary. People also went crazy about the space feat and most of us couldn't even understand what happened from the pictures. So I'm speaking specifically of the fight itself. I get the importance of the Adversary fight to the narrative. I made a whole tribute post about it on my social media LMAO!!!
    Last edited by Sdawg; 11-19-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Fantastic Member

It's nice to get some semblance of outside perspective. I really only get my comic stuff here and don't do any other ones so i can't really say how the fight itself is being taken overall with the general storm fans just some of the ones in this community.
    I guess I'm in this boat too. Thanks for the wider perspective. It did seem like on many of the YouTube review channels that fans were thrilled with the fight.

BANNED

Oh ok I understand. Well, I’m just shocked that’s all.