Page 8 of 613 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    That's actually a thing in Marvel's history? That there was a royal house ruling the territory of Kenya and Ororo is part of that family? All I read from the family encyclopedia set (1980s edition, but more "trustworthy" than a wiki walk) was that there were sultanates in the area before British Kenya. So Ororo has Muslim ancestry?
    I don’t think there’s a central dynasty in Kenya the way countries like Wakanda or Britain have. Kings and queens exist at the local level, but there is no universally recognized ruling family that influences the entire territory of Kenya. Storm is princess of an as of yet unnamed tribe located in the Serengeti, not all of Kenya. If you dig deep enough into the lore this tribe has migrated and founded city-states like Meroe in what’s now Sudan but I’m not sure that’s canon.

And the nations that would become British Kenya predate the arrival of Islam, they just converted as the Indian Ocean trade continued.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-02-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Thanks for clearing that up. Tribal-level royalty then, like Elena from "Street Fighter III."
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. Tribal-level royalty then, like Elena from "Street Fighter III."
    Exactly. I would love to see it expanded like how it happened in House of M. Where she took over the tribe and because of the good works and what she did for the continent with her powers other tribes recognized her and she was Queen of all Kenya.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twisted sun View Post
    I love it!!
    Thank you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Just focusing on Storm mainly:

- Art = Amazing. I would not mind both this artist and colorist staying on this book (even if I don't end up buying the series as a whole). Storm looked amazing in each panel (though I feel that costume should have a spiked heel or wedge). Costiie and coloring was accurate in each panel but I do want them to settle on one look for her cap. I like the full gap and asymetric cap look but it keeps changing in the various books she's appearing in. Part of me would even love for them to get rid of the cap and throw in one of her 80's style belts (lose but well fit where she can hide her vibranium blades and an extra place for lockpicks)

- The characterization and dialogue for Storm was good. Her complexity and multi-faceted personality came shining through. The nurturing Storm, defender of her family, her fellow mutants and the oppressed, and then we see the fierce warrior who may respect the law of "kill no man" but has a ruthlessness that reminds us how lethal she is as an opponent. Sans powers, even weapons, she is a skilled fighter who has no qualms with leaving her opponents with a grim reminder of the mistake of underestimating her. I a hoping for an expansion on the fight next issue where we get to see her skillfully taking on more than 1 soldier.

- The story was entertaining. I am glad that the sassy witty dialogue is not limited to Emma, Pyro, Kitty and Bobby. Storm's quip bout getting her vibranium knife back made me laugh and was absolutely delish. Bishop, a focused and competent strategist deducing the trap (like a talented investigator), with Ororo acknowledging it but willing to risk it for the sake of helping her people. While she too is pragmatic and a skilled tactician and strategist it's fitting for her character to take extreme risks (be it to make a sacrifice that she knows is right but will never sit well with her emotionally or a costly risk she may not walk away from). The few pages they received definitely made for impact to the story finally). These 2 have great chemistry and I hope to see some more panel time between them.

- finally w see each team member getting some fair amount of panel time and a sense of relevance is starting to build for Storm here

Minuses
    - I don't find the villains particularly impressive for these X-Men. Power dampening tech is great, and the Russians pulled off an ambush that made sense (even though one could argue Storm's atmospheric senses would have given them her location). I prefer to see some polished villain for this team like we see in X-Force. Their homework was done well so that their prep and tech allows for them be credible threats. Plus...I am not sold on the Hellfire kids. Just seeing them takes me back to the trainwreck of WatX under Aaron.

If we get another good issue like this the book will make it's way on to my pull list for sure. A solid 4.25/5 for me)
    I’m in complete agreement with this post! But the bolder?! I screamed! Their familiarity with one another really touched my heart. They really moved as a unit that knows one another intimately. **** yes!

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Power dampening has always been like that. TAS Storm was quickly humbled by the power-dampening neck-brace during the first Genosha-set arc. She did get revenge once it was off (Summon full power of the STORM!)
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    "I know you have been busy, beloved, but I am pleased you were able to spend a few days with me in Wakanda. So, how has your week been?"

"Busy, as you said. In fact, I am exhausted." Ororo shrugged, knowing T'Challa would keep her up late tonight, in the most delicious way, and she wouldn't mind.

"You are beautiful."

"The dark marks under my eyes would disagree. Oh, speaking of eyes, I used your birthday gift the other day."

T'Challa frowned, and Ororo smiled, enjoying the few times she could stump a man of his genius.

"If you did not go overboard with your gift giving, you would know to which gift I am referring."

Leaning back in his chair, he crossed arms over his chest, pulling his dashiki taut across his muscular frame.

"The knife. I used the knife you gave me on a fool who thought to steal Krakoan children."

"What does that have to do with eyes?" The moment T'Challa posed the question, his own eyes squinted with realization. "Are you saying you stabbed someone in the eye with your birthday present?"

"Precisely. He and the other men wore power dampening suits, so they thought that made Lucas and me easy prey."

"They were wrong, of course."

"Of course."

Sliding his dinner plate to the side, T'Challa placed his elbows on the table and froze Ororo with a knowing smile. "Beloved, you are a goddess. Those power dampening suits would have had no effect. So, tell me again why you used your vibranium blade on, yes, the fool who thought he could best you?"

An image of the mutant children on the boat--afraid and caged like animals--flashed in Ororo's mind. Mutants weren't inferior to anyone, and she was so tired of them being treated as such. But she was too fatigued to have that conversation with T'Challa, so Ororo simply said, "I felt like fighting old school."

"Old school, hmm?" T'Challa's gaze lowered to the knife in Ororo's hand cutting her spicy chicken. "I know I gifted you with the knife, but it never occurred to me you would use it to blind someone. Should I be worried?"

Ororo grinned. "If I intended on using my blade on you, beloved, I would have done so when you told me about Nakia."

T'Challa's frown returned.

Ororo shrugged again. "That could change, though, if you have more confessions to make."
    You are one of the most glorious posters I’ve ever come across. I hope you know I was having convulsions with how pleasurable this read was! A true gem. Never change, my friend!

BANNED

I don’t think he did nullify her power. She even tells him that he can’t take her power. And the only good thing Guggenheim accomplished with her character was establishing that power dampener collars no longer work on her.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    But this group wasn't out to kill. Their first shot was non-lethal...see a non-powered Bishop still alive.
    I normally just creep in the Storm thread to get my daily dose of goodness but I did want to point out that the blast from the guy wasn't a nonlethal burst, it was a depowering blast like we saw in the first issue where it hit Iceman and he went back to flesh form.

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    You are one of the most glorious posters I’ve ever come across. I hope you know I was having convulsions with how pleasurable this read was! A true gem. Never change, my friend!
    Kind words. Thank you very much.

In my mind the Wakandian ambassador being named Hodari was a wink to Hadari Yao. But in my mind. lol
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    In my mind the Wakandian ambassador being named Hodari was a wink to Hadari Yao. But in my mind. lol
    That's what I was thinking. Really Hadori? I see you Duggan trying to be sneaky....

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    I normally just creep in the Storm thread to get my daily dose of goodness but I did want to point out that the blast from the guy wasn't a nonlethal burst, it was a depowering blast like we saw in the first issue where it hit Iceman and he went back to flesh form.
    It seems to be the ONLY weapon Humans have against Mutants currently.

Marauders: As you mentioned Proto, Storm and Iceman and now Bishop hit with a Power Dampener Energy blast.
    In X-Force: Quire and Domino couldn't access their powers via Power Dampener Weapon.
    In New Mutants: Armor got hit by a Power Dampener Missile
    In X-Men: The Hordeculture used Power Dampener Gas on Scott and Shaw

I mean seriously are Power Dampener Weapons THAT easy to come by?? LOL
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 01-02-2020 at 11:34 AM.

BANNED

Hodari has been part of T'Challa's council since the first issue of Coates' run. He debuted way before there was even mention of a Hadari Yao.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I find the power dampening question interesting. from their first encounter with these Russians with power dampening tech and this time in madripoor it would seem her mutant abilities were removed. however, her divine power is something completely separate and one we still dont know how she would be able to access. it's not even clear if she can tap into this voluntarily. that said, the reference to vibranium indicates the xoffices are not totally ignoring what coates is doing so I'm encouraged at some point we will get a deeper dive into her interactions between tchalla and wakanda, as well as what it means to be a divine being.

cbr recognizing that storm should have ended doom long ago with one punch.

ororo is marvels equivalent to one punch man.... periodt!

https://www.cbr.com/10-marvel-dc-fig...-in-one-punch/

Dr. Doom had captured Arcade and his assistant Ms. Locke had kidnapped friends and family members of the X-Men to coerce them to rescue Arcade. Doom easily captured the X-Men and turned Storm into a living statue. This triggered her extreme claustrophobia and she subconsciously created a storm that eventually engulfed the planet. The X-Men escaped and freed Storm but she was enraged nearly beyond reason.

Storm, at that moment, was as close to a goddess as existed outside of Asgard. She was on par with the Phoenix Force in her fury and Doom was just a brilliant man in advanced armor. Had Colossus not stopped her, she could have easily made Doom a dead man in a tin can with a single lightning strike.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!