Page 260 of 613 FirstFirst ... 160210250256257258259260261262263264270310360 ... LastLast
Results 3,886 to 3,900 of 9190

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    that's a great point beloved. from what I can gather from the responses most believe this was not a fair fight for mera.
    I've actually had this debate before and Mera took a lightning-like attack from Ocean Master using Neptune Staff. (IIRC)

The debate kinda die down because we couldn't come to an agreement on if the staff's lightning equal the power of a real lightning bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Mera is pretty tough. She certainly has the physical strength and durability advantage. She can also manipulate the moisture/water in someone's body. However, the way Storm trounced her above is certainly possible and a legitimate way to defeat Mera. I like Mera but a bolt from Ororo can put her down... especially when she is surrounded in water.
    Right. In that particular battle scenario...the outcome was correct.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Mera is pretty tough. She certainly has the physical strength and durability advantage. She can also manipulate the moisture/water in someone's body. However, the way Storm trounced her above is certainly possible and a legitimate way to defeat Mera. I like Mera but a bolt from Ororo can put her down... especially when she is surrounded in water.
    thank you for your detailed explanation here. though I think mera would potentially win it would have been cool if ororo was shown taken her out by dehydration

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I've actually had this debate before and Mera took a lightning-like attack from Ocean Master using Neptune Staff. (IIRC)

The debate kinda die down because we couldn't come to an agreement on if the staff's lightning equal the power of a real lightning bolt.

Right. In that particular battle scenario...the outcome was correct.
    so I liken what ocean master did to what shaman did. shaman created a snow storm magically but it was still a snow storm. the same with the lightning he made.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Obsidian_Sol

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Why is it so difficult to re-tell her origin story, though?

Born in America. Taken to Egypt with her mother and father. They died in a terrorist bomb attack. She is orphaned and homeless and taken in by the "Fagan of Cairo". As a teen she escapes and wanders across the continent finally settling down in a small village in Kenya. Worshipped as a Goddess. Then found/recruited by Charles Xavier.
    (Eur
    As origin stories go, hers is pretty straightforward. I don't see why writers feel the need to make it so complicated.
    Why is it so difficult to transpose the general themes and key elements of the source material without throwing in everything and the kitchen sink?
    TBH, it would be more "realistic" for Ororo to be a princess of Wakanda, by matrileage, than a princess of a Kenyan "tribe." While Kenya, and the Swahili coast do have periods of monchrastic rule, for the most part, governance has been pastoral clanship-based. Influence by the West (Europe) sees leadership and rule favoring a monarchical perspective. Fictional Wakanda falls into that clave of "mis"understanding of the plethora of African-style of governance.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian_Sol View Post
    TBH, it would be more "realistic" for Ororo to be a princess of Wakanda, by matrileage, than a princess of a Kenyan "tribe." While Kenya, and the Swahili coast do have periods of monchrastic rule, for the most part, governance has been pastoral clanship-based. Influence by the West (Europe) sees leadership and rule favoring a monarchical perspective. Fictional Wakanda falls into that clave of "mis"understanding of the plethora of African-style of governance.
    clan ship based? are you talking about Kenya? Coastal Kenya? Nothing illustrated in the comics has ever made me think that the setting of her village was a coastal village.

By the way most coastal inhabitants in the whole of Eastern Africa are Muslim - they would not worship no person

Astonishing Member

Wakanda misunderstands African-style governance because rule is based on victory in single combat, not because they have a formal royal family and sometimes pass the kingship along familial lines. There’s a multitude of indigenous examples of monarchies across Africa whether they be elective monarchies like the Kabaka of Buganda or inherited kingship like the Alaafin of Oyo. Monarchies are not a European concept and have been found in pre-colonial Asia, South America and Africa.

With regards to Kenya, I always took Ororo’s statement of being princess to be more conceptual than literal. Prominent women in the pastoral clans of the East African interior have certain spiritual and social obligations. Seeing as Ororo comes from a line of witch-priestesses to an Elder God I think her role as a “princess” reflects that position in her culture. It also probably comes with some political duties that make her akin to a princess as we in the West understand it.
    Last edited by chief12d; 06-14-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

These will increase if Ororo is confirmed to be in BP 2. Ororo-T'Challa-Nakia "triangle" will be all the rage if or when an actress is selected as Ororo.

nakia.jpg

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

This is fiction. I'm not concerned with what's "realistic" in fiction.
    I'm simply referring to what's established in written canon being transferred onto the screen...without revisions and embellishments. I've never read comic books or watched superhero movies for their accurate depiction of what could be perceived as "realism".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    These will increase if Ororo is confirmed to be in BP 2. Ororo-T'Challa-Nakia "triangle" will be all the rage if or when an actress is selected as Ororo.

nakia.jpg
    I laughed out loud. I found this hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    Is storm being in the bp2 all rumors and assumptions or has there been word out of anyones mouth that is actually working on the movie?

Niffleheim

I wouldn't mind Lupita playing Ororo if that is what that pic is implying but it she does i can immediately see the critics calling BP2 a soap opera to be honest they will downgrade it to soap opera-ish nonsense if the romantic aspects of their relationship is played up in the movie.

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Me too. As I said, if Storm actually appears in BP 2, even if only as T'Challa's friend, more of Storm v Nakia gifs will pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post

nakia.jpg
    lololol that's funny. Nakia dont want Ms. Ro's hands. That's all she better do is look if she knows what's good for her. lol
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

You ready????

Spectacular Member

I know everyone in this thread is smart enough not to fall for rumors and clickbait, I mean honestly cats actually think Beyoncé being involved with BP2 means shes gonna be storm when nobody even knows if storm is gonna show up or even make a cameo plus the movie doesn't come out for another two years, there's no script in play right now to go off of, everything else is speculation and the actors from the project are working on other things. I will say this as a BP fan, don't get your hopes up until you see some viable information because it seems some you homies in here are getting baited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekk80s View Post
    I know everyone in this thread is smart enough not to fall for rumors and clickbait, I mean honestly cats actually think Beyoncé being involved with BP2 means shes gonna be storm when nobody even knows if storm is gonna show up or even make a cameo plus the movie doesn't come out for another two years, there's no script in play right now to go off of, everything else is speculation and the actors from the project are working on other things. I will say this as a BP fan, don't get your hopes up until you see some viable information because it seems some you homies in here are getting baited.
    I dont think anyone is taking the beyonce rumors seriously. but aside from that im pretty confident storm will show up. it makes sense that mutants will pop up either as cameo or some form of easter egg now that they are home and away from that dreadful fox studios.