Page 581 of 613 FirstFirst ... 81481531571577578579580581582583584585591 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,715 of 9190
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    In old Marvel cosmology, it was the worship and imagination of the people channeling the 'atmospheric divinity' left over from Atum that created and gave power to all the worlds pantheons.

Anyone or anything can become a god, since all of creation is godstuff. It's ultimately a matter of the divinity being observed/recognized/celebrated by human consciousness.
    Thanks for bringing that panel up, I always get fuzzy on gods and their origins! I don't necessarily see what you mean about creation though. Creation itself isn't godstuff, the matter of slain Elder Gods-turned-demons is, at least that's what I got out of that panel. The unconscious mind of man shaped the primordial godstuff remaining from an Elder God war into Skyfathers made in the image of man itself. They then had children with various manifestations of Gaea (producing Bast, Thor, etc.)

I don't see how within that system anyone can become a god just because people pray or think hard enough. It seems more like anyone can become a god if they have that spark of innate divinity, which will then be molded and given form by worshippers. I think in order to ascend/transform into a god, you need some inherent ties to the Elder Gods (whether it be direct descent or a genetic blessing).

To me that page shows human consciousness creating all the classical gods out of thin air. Their imaginations were made real and powerful through Atum's godstuff. The gods had power as such they, the humans, thought they should. Without worship Marvel gods weaken. Yes, gods can have children, both divine and semi-divine, but mortals can also become deified.

There could be some level of genetic lineage that traces through N'Dare's ancestry that makes it easier for Ororo, but to me this page shows that all of humanity is touched by Divinity and can channel that into a manifestation of that Divinity, into a godform of any design imaginable.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 11-28-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mah_Boons View Post
    1. You make a great point. Although I’d say her divine power is coming from the latent potential of White Magic. All her Ancestors have used White Magic and none of them have ever been referred to as Goddess.
    2. That is a very interesting perspective. I can agree to that. Storm could at the very least be a reincarnation of Oshtur since apparently they look alike. Probably why the Wakandans worship Storm. I think Coates explanation needs to go more in depth Because we are still guessing where is this Godhood coming from. I mean we know Storms Bloodline to be that of powerful Sorcerers that use White Magic. Now her bloodline is that of Gods? Since when....that’s probably certain fans of Storm or people who like Storm don’t really like for Storm to go down this path.
    3. I get what you mean. But we can’t call her a full fledge God if her parents are actually human. Which is why I would call her a Demigod and if others did they wouldn’t be wrong.
    I think you're right. Sorcerers like Doctor Strange and Doom gotta petition Oshtur (the inventor and source of white magic) to use her powers, needing rituals, incantations, or items of power. I think Storm's hereditary godhead lets her naturally use white magic (the pure power of Oshtur), which has for some reason expressed itself through her X-gene.

Though she can obviously learn conventional spells, with her innate capacity to summon and control white magic making her naturally gifted. Idk, I think it's just one of those interesting bits of lore I always found interesting about her character. I'm not too interested in the power level implications but in terms of worldbuilding and themes I find the idea of ascension/godly heritage cool. Especially with all the mysticism the X-Men have been involved with as of late. But I get being tired or put off by the idea, since it's so half-baked and mostly based around headcannon lol. This godhead stuff builds on previous ideas but Storm's ancestry is just big question mark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I think you're right. Sorcerers like Doctor Strange and Doom gotta petition Oshtur (the inventor and source of white magic) to use her powers, needing rituals, incantations, or items of power. I think Storm's hereditary godhead lets her naturally use white magic (the pure power of Oshtur), which has for some reason expressed itself through her X-gene.

Though she can obviously learn conventional spells, with her innate capacity to summon and control white magic making her naturally gifted. Idk, I think it's just one of those interesting bits of lore I always found interesting about her character. I'm not too interested in the power level implications but in terms of worldbuilding and themes I find the idea of ascension/godly heritage cool. Especially with all the mysticism the X-Men have been involved with as of late. But I get being tired or put off by the idea, since it's so half-baked and mostly based around headcannon lol. This godhead stuff builds on previous ideas but Storm's ancestry is just big question mark.
    I too like the Goddess Concept, but it should have been introduced in her solo. That way we have a better understanding of this power. Because right now with such small information Coates gave us it seems like we all don’t quite understand where he’s coming from based off all of our responses.

Astonishing Member

To me that page shows human consciousness creating all the classical gods out of thin air. Their imaginations were made real and powerful through Atum's godstuff. The gods had power as such they, the humans, thought they should. Without worship Marvel gods weaken. Yes, gods can have children, both divine and semi-divine, but mortals can also become deified.

There could be some level of genetic lineage that traces through N'Dare's ancestry that makes it easier for Ororo, but to me this page shows that all of humanity is touched by Divinity and can channel that into a manifestation of that Divinity, into a godform of any design imaginable.
    When you put it like that I definitely see the validity. So humanity's thoughts, touched by the divine itself, are the driving force, while the godstuff was just a good spiritual medium to be given form to? Then hypothetically, humans could project their belief and wonder onto a mortal to unlock the potential for them to become a god. The determining factors of that ascension would be the spiritual strength of whoever is being worshipped and however fervent the worshippers are.

We tend to see something like this in real life civilizations, great hero-kings after many generations often are identified as the descendants of gods or gods themselves. The ideals and power they had in life are inflated in death and the belief people have in them elevates them to godhood. I guess in the MU you have something more immediate and visceral, where a great hero like Storm could ascend to godhood on the basis of the awe people have in her presence.

If there is a Storm Solo I pray it comes out twice a Month........YIkes.
    From your lips to the writers and the Editorials.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    That's true, I'm inclined to think she was seen as a major god because you had people all across Wakanda worshipping her in the fight against Adversary. She's definitely more prominent than say the White Gorilla God or the Leopard Goddess that empowers Killmonger, but who knows where that places her. Hell, what is she even the god of lol? Light, Balance, and the Sky?

And I guess one can also argue that Shuri and Ramonda don't see Storm as an all-powerful goddess, but instead as a sister and daughter respectively, so it's easier for them to turn Ororo down. I doubt they'd have rejected Bast if she requested Skybreaker.
    Most of us here believe that she is a goddess of Balance and Life, including the domain of the sky and air. I still believe that they are building her up to a goddess because a Goddess has powers over several domains, they have so far just one or two. I believe when we reach the magical number 3 we will see her fully-fledged godlike power.

1. You make a great point. Although I’d say her divine power is coming from the latent potential of White Magic. All her Ancestors have used White Magic and none of them have ever been referred to as Goddess.
    2. That is a very interesting perspective. I can agree to that. Storm could at the very least be a reincarnation of Oshtur since apparently they look alike. Probably why the Wakandans worship Storm. I think Coates explanation needs to go more in depth Because we are still guessing where is this Godhood coming from. I mean we know Storms Bloodline to be that of powerful Sorcerers that use White Magic. Now her bloodline is that of Gods? Since when....that’s probably certain fans of Storm or people who like Storm don’t really like for Storm to go down this path.
    3. I get what you mean. But we can’t call her a full fledge God if her parents are actually human. Which is why I would call her a Demigod and if others did they wouldn’t be wrong.
    Actually, most of the Storm fans are quite intrigued by her godhood. I personally hope she gets as powerful as Thor without a magic hammer, so she can put him in his place, but hey that just me and perhaps I want Thor's fans to be put in place since they've been so offending towards Storm. We had a few people here, who didn't like Storm being a Goddess but all of them mysteriously disappeared shortly after their posts.

Great topic guys. This is the most interesting coco we've had in a while,

In old Marvel cosmology, it was the worship and imagination of the people channeling the 'atmospheric divinity' left over from Atum that created and gave power to all the worlds pantheons.

Anyone or anything can become a god, since all of creation is godstuff. It's ultimately a matter of the divinity being observed/recognized/celebrated by human consciousness.
    Wein and Cockrum did intend for her to actually be an ancient, timeless African goddess. It was Claremont who made her from Harlem. Who added the claustrophobia and Cairo street thief background. Even still, Claremont considered her a '3-dimensional goddess', and always hinted at something more.

You have to realize making Storm an immortal, all-powerful goddess makes her unwieldy in a team setting. Even Thor, paragon of white male power, gets nerfed all the time in Avengers stories. With a whole roster to attend to, you can't just let him do the thing in a swing of his magic hammer. At least he usually has his own book to stretch those godly legs, and it's been that way since his inception. Wanting a team mutant team book to focus on Omega goddess Ororo just isn't very reasonable. She would really need her own book for that. Or at the very least a writer who wants to drape the team around her. We were blessed to get those Claremont stories. Without the combination of editorial/corporate push and a passionate creative team, that might be the best we get out of Storm.
    This is more in my line of thinking.
    Storm is definitely more than just a mutant.
    Her Windriderahip holds too much mysteries that needs to be explored.
    She is definitely more than just you average Namor Selen
    Apocalypse. But I would like her to eventually become slow aging or living immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    This is more in my line of thinking.
    Storm is definitely more than just a mutant.
    Her Windriderahip holds too much mysteries that needs to be explored.
    She is definitely more than just you average Namor Selen
    Apocalypse. But I would like her to eventually become slow aging or living immortal.
    Her godhead somehow tying itself to her x-gene also makes sense that there has been several stories where when Storm was unconscious or too weak the elements themselves jumped in and defended her or when she wasn't going to use enough force in one story, the lightning came down and basically made the choice for her. I really would love to see that aspect of her powers explored. Like what is the bond she has with life and plants, how deep does it go, why does the wind cradle her rather than her cradling the wind as winddancer would or what not. It's like she makes the weather sentiment on an instinctual level and it remembers her presence and responds.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I miss some of those nature goddess aspects from the old days. Like, she used to actually converse with plants. And yes, those few times the elements themselves acting on her behalf. It would be cool if she could fully communicate with and control plants, animals, and the raw elements themselves. Like all the web of life was plugged in to her, and she to it. Like, a tree or rock could tell her what it witnessed, the wind could be her spy and bodyguard, etc. I know Nature Girl was given these abilities, but let's be honest, she was half-baked and hasn't really made a big impact on the fandom.

I miss some of those nature goddess aspects from the old days. Like, she used to actually converse with plants. And yes, those few times the elements themselves acting on her behalf. It would be cool if she could fully communicate with and control plants, animals, and the raw elements themselves. Like all the web of life was plugged in to her, and she to it. Like, a tree or rock could tell her what it witnessed, the wind could be her spy and bodyguard, etc. I know Nature Girl was given these abilities, but let's be honest, she was half-baked and hasn't really made a big impact on the fandom.
    I truly miss that aspect of her character as well. One of my biggest gripes about the Krakoa situation is i feel Krakoa and Storm would have some sort of bond even if she didn't explicitly understand him there should be some level of communion between the two. Or how she sensed the life force of the brood within her. There are so many aspects of Storm left unexplored. For instance on many occasios it has literally been stated she gets physical and mental substance from the life force around her she communes with. Shouldn't that come with a level of immortality if there is always some semblance of life she can draw from and commune with. Everything about Ororo has always been mutant but far beyond.

I personally love the idea of her being the mutant goddess and if she isn't in Kurt bible, throw it in the trash. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The92Ghost View Post
    From your lips to the writers and the Editorials.

Actually, most of the Storm fans are quite intrigued by her godhood. I personally hope she gets as powerful as Thor without a magic hammer, so she can put him in his place, but hey that just me and perhaps I want Thor's fans to be put in place since they've been so offending towards Storm. We had a few people here, who didn't like Storm being a Goddess but all of them mysteriously disappeared shortly after their posts.
    It’s the truth. We cannot afford a Solo that comes out Monthly it will hurt Storm.

That may be true that most Storm fans are intrigued, but there does exist fans who rather Storm not go down this path. LOL you wanna put out Thor fans in their place haha. I can do that now. But I know what you mean. :-)

I can just imagine Kurt's prose about the goddess Ororo descending from the heavens!

I can just imagine Kurt's prose about the goddess Ororo descending from the heavens!
    It would be a Psalms like chapter spoken in krakoan hymn. The addeded bonus is with the godhood and belief system if enough mutants believe in her godhood that would put her on a god level like no other. I don't think any other god in the MU right now has millions of super powered believers.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

https://www.newsweek.com/earth-atmos...corona-1338611

I'mma need to see Storm fly to the moon and make it rain now!