Page 61 of 613 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161561 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Because we dont know the order in which the Orisha engage with each other. I'm not sure you watch the walking dead or read the comic but the way the orisha engage each other is very similar to how the Whispers interact.

In case you dont, the Whispers have a clear hierarchy with the highest person within the community referred to as alpha. No one questions her and if they do, they have to battle to the death where everyone else in the community sits on without intervention. Though the community's loyalty lies with alpha, if she loses to the individual who contests her power they community ultimately follows the victor.

To assume the Orisha would jump in would assume certain interactions that I dont believe to exist. They are "friends" in the sense that we would engage our peers. There, to me at least, seems to be a certain order in which the orisha engage each other (that goes back to nearly the beginning of time) and this comes through even though they say and do nothing other than to display the wakanda forever salute at the end of the battle.
    I totally understand your point. The hierarchy of their being an alpha is a trope in many fantasy and paranormal books. See, I hate guessing an author's intent, even in comics. As I said, a line or two from an Orisha would help. Honestly, their lack of a response came off as if they didn't give a damn about Bast losing her godhood. I mean, they left her there and rolled out. Smh. That's pretty cold. Then again, we don't know their relationship with each other. I don't mind the idea of a Wakandan pantheon. But, if you're going to have a pantheon, more than Bast needs to be addressed.

So, all of this goes back to Ororo's godhood having not been fleshed out. We keep coming back to that single but important character issue. I only mentioned Bast because I thought Coates and the artist did a pretty decent job showing some of what makes Bast a goddess. The last issue also showed her powers, even though they are a weaker version of herself. I want that kind of clear showing for Ororo because I don't think her actions, since her fight with the Adversary, has reflected powers beyond her being a powerful Omega-level mutant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by guiltypleasure View Post
    i totally understand your point. The hierarchy of their being an alpha is a trope in many fantasy and paranormal books. See, i hate guessing an author's intent, even in comics. As i said, a line or two from an orisha would help. Honestly, their lack of a response came off as if they didn't give a damn about bast losing her godhood. I mean, they left her there and rolled out. Smh. That's pretty cold. Then again, we don't know their relationship with each other. I don't mind the idea of a wakandan pantheon. But, if you're going to have a pantheon, more than bast needs to be addressed.

So, all of this goes back to ororo's godhood having not been fleshed out. We keep coming back to that single but important character issue. I only mentioned bast because i thought coates and the artist did a pretty decent job showing some of what makes bast a goddess. The last issue also showed her powers, even though they are a weaker version of herself. I want that kind of clear showing for ororo because i don't think her actions, since her fight with the adversary, has reflected powers beyond her being a powerful omega-level mutant.
    exactly....

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    I totally understand your point. The hierarchy of their being an alpha is a trope in many fantasy and paranormal books. See, I hate guessing an author's intent, even in comics. As I said, a line or two from an Orisha would help. Honestly, their lack of a response came off as if they didn't give a damn about Bast losing her godhood. I mean, they left her there and rolled out. Smh. That's pretty cold. Then again, we don't know their relationship with each other. I don't mind the idea of a Wakandan pantheon. But, if you're going to have a pantheon, more than Bast needs to be addressed.

So, all of this goes back to Ororo's godhood having not been fleshed out. We keep coming back to that single but important character issue. I only mentioned Bast because I thought Coates and the artist did a pretty decent job showing some of what makes Bast a goddess. The last issue also showed her powers, even though they are a weaker version of herself. I want that kind of clear showing for Ororo because I don't think her actions, since her fight with the Adversary, has reflected powers beyond her being a powerful Omega-level mutant.
    She be better off relying on her mutant powers. As of Cates' Venom run, gods have a disadvantage against symbiotes.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    That’s the point we are making. We don’t know anything about them. How do we know there is an order to which they engage each other???? We don’t because it’s not stated or expanded on. Therefore they do t actually serve a purpose. Even now Bast is the only one that’s taking action. You see the other Orisha have not joined the fight hell they aren’t even mentioned and the Hadari Yao is the bigger threat again.

I’m not assuming. I’m telling you they should have jumped in that’s not an assumption. Are they Friends??? They don’t act like it. I’d say that’s more of an assumption that they are all friends since it was stated they are. And we don’t know what order they act with each other. All we know is their names and what they represent. That’s it the rest we all have no clue which is why me an Guiltily Pleasure are saying Coates needs to expand on what do they actually do. You basically gave us the answer just now.
    “ do nothing other than to display the wakanda forever salute at the end of the battle.”
    You asked "why" the orisha didnt do anything and I offered an explanation based upon what they did do. Coates likes to drop story bits here and there, never fully explaining aspects of said story until some time later. What we do know from what we've seen is that there is a clear hierarchy of sorts that Bast sits atop. We do know that the gods do not interact as "friends." We also know that they respect power ultimately and if one can challenge the top dog and win their loyalty resides with the victor. We may not like it or understand it but it's there for the reader to see. What I find interesting is that these interactions are very primal in nature and can be seen throughout the animal kingdom where one individual member stands clearly above the others: meerkats, hyenas, ants, bees, etc. From this small showing it would appear they have a hierarchical system. The rest we may get at a later date. And yes they didnt do anything I assume to mirror how the wakandans battle for the BP mantle.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

You asked "why" the orisha didnt do anything and I offered an explanation based upon what they did do. Coates likes to drop story bits here and there, never fully explaining aspects of said story until some time later. What we do know from what we've seen is that there is a clear hierarchy of sorts that Bast sits atop. We do know that the gods do not interact as "friends." We also know that they respect power ultimately and if one can challenge the top dog and win their loyalty resides with the victor. We may not like it or understand it but it's there for the reader to see. What I find interesting is that these interactions are very primal in nature and can be seen throughout the animal kingdom where one individual member stands clearly above the others: meerkats, hyenas, ants, bees, etc. From this small showing it would appear they have a hierarchical system. The rest we may get at a later date. And yes they didnt do anything I assume to mirror how the wakandans battle for the BP mantle.

You are probably 100% right in your analysis. It is definitely sound. I also agree that Coates has a habit of introducing or showing something then letting it sit before coming back to it. That is definitely one approach to take to storytelling. My sole problem with that approach to writing is how long it can take him sometimes to revisit a particular point. It's all a matter of taste, I know. I'm also a very linear thinker, so his tendency to go back and forth or jumping years is kind of jarring.

That being said, I think he writes a good Storm, which is why I'm so impatient for him to stop telling us she is a goddess and start showing us.

This,in the bold, is point exactly. We dont know their interactions beyond what Coates has shown. It's a glimpse but I imagine as time goes on we will get further understanding on how they relate. It just seems from what you referenced and what has been shown there interactions are primordial/archaic in nature. We get glimpses of this in how Bast expects Shuri to worship and gravel at her feet. I attribute them not engaging in that battle because it would indicate bast wasnt strong and they appear to value might and power above anything else.

I do however understand wanting writers to give us more but when I want more as it relates to storm and her godhead I try to remind myself this isnt her book. Coates has so many elements he has introduced that I could see needing more attention:

the orisha
    the ruling council
    tchalla and his transition of not being the ultimate authority in wakanda
    shuri/eden
    storm/t'challa
    nakia/tchalla
    killmonger and his new life after resurrection
    the djalia

there's so much he can go into but only so much he can tell considering the number of pages each book contain. so as much as I want to know more about storm I respect he is telling a much larger story that storm is a part of and with understanding this I appreciate the bits we've gotten. I'm hopeful we get more insight though to her power by the time this run ends.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Like the art for this cover. Only thing is that I think Storm should have formed a shape like a lightning bolt between Jean and Emma instead of just trailing at the bottom of the cover.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

You are probably 100% right in your analysis. It is definitely sound. I also agree that Coates has a habit of introducing or showing something then letting it sit before coming back to it. That is definitely one approach to take to storytelling. My sole problem with that approach to writing is how long it can take him sometimes to revisit a particular point. It's all a matter of taste, I know. I'm also a very linear thinker, so his tendency to go back and forth or jumping years is kind of jarring.

That being said, I think he writes a good Storm, which is why I'm so impatient for him to stop telling us she is a goddess and start showing us.
    Yea I've seen many complaints with his approach to storytelling. It make not make for a good reading when you read the issues standalone but I love going back and reading the books back to back to back. It really reads well to me, so I'm a lot more forgiving here but do recognize everyone may not like that, especially when it takes a month for an issue to drop.

I'm impatient too boo. trust me you are not the only one to feel this way!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Like the art for this cover. Only thing is that I think Storm should have formed a shape like a lightning bolt between Jean and Emma instead of just trailing at the bottom of the cover.
    omg that would have been too cute if they did it your way!

Yea I've seen many complaints with his approach to storytelling. It make not make for a good reading when you read the issues standalone but I love going back and reading the books back to back to back. It really reads well to me, so I'm a lot more forgiving here but do recognize everyone may not like that, especially when it takes a month for an issue to drop.

I'm impatient too boo. trust me you are not the only one to feel this way!

Yes, I agree that the time between subplots and pacing issues aren't noticeable or as bad when the issues are read one behind the other. This is what I did with his old issues, beginning with the intergalactic stuff. I actually found myself enjoying the space story, despite the time jumps. T'Challa was hard core in most of those issues. He was kicking ass, especially when driven to find out who he was and to get home. Coates' stuff definitely flows better as a TBP.

Anyways I'm going to Walmart. Y'all want anything?
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Yes, I agree that the time between subplots and pacing issues aren't noticeable or as bad when the issues are read one behind the other. This is what I did with his old issues, beginning with the intergalactic stuff. I actually found myself enjoying the space story, despite the time jumps. T'Challa was hard core in most of those issues. He was kicking ass, especially when driven to find out who he was and to get home. Coates' stuff definitely flows better as a TBP.
    I really enjoyed his first season. that was by far the best. though I enjoyed it all I really liked season 1. im.still curious if nakia is a secret agent for njadaka?

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    Anyways I'm going to Walmart. Y'all want anything?
    cookies you are a mess with yourself. lolol

Funny, if you think about it, the three of them represent the elements Earth (Emma), Wind (Storm) and Fire (Jean).
    Some of us wait, some of us act.