Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Agreed. That unity squad with Rogue, Cable and Deadpool was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

GERRY DUGGAN (W), PHIL NOTO (A/C)
    * Days Of Past Yet To Come!
    * Cable's future is coming back to haunt him...and he isn't ready. Yet.
    32 pages, $3.99.
    Feels like Christmas to me

All-New Member

kid cable is for the younger and new readers and less complicated back story rather the classic cable

He has the same backstory. Exactly. He’s not any less complicated. In fact, they made his backstory now more complicated because he goes to the future where he’s raised, comes back and kills his older self, and yet this younger version still has to go back to the future to live out his life, ultimately returning to the past and then dying at his own hand, or else the timeline gets f’d up. It’s a damn mess!

All-New Member

good point

But, to be fair, Kid Cable is a more inexperienced and light-hearted take on the character. Which some folks are enjoying. Unfortunately, that’s just not who the character is. So in my view it’s basically like they created a totally new character, more similar to X-man when he first showed up back in the 90s after Age of Apocalypse. Even though he’s technically the same guy.

For my money, though, I prefer the grizzled old badass version who always has plans within plans and is a step ahead of everybody. He’s basically like Batman and Captain America rolled into one, with Iron Man’s technology. Kind of ridiculous, but when written well that’s what makes him fun. See Duggan’s take on the OG version in Uncanny Avengers for some well-written grown-ass-man Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    He has the same backstory. Exactly. He’s not any less complicated. In fact, they made his backstory now more complicated because he goes to the future where he’s raised, comes back and kills his older self, and yet this younger version still has to go back to the future to live out his life, ultimately returning to the past and then dying at his own hand, or else the timeline gets f’d up. It’s a damn mess!
    they have the same backstory but in this Hickman era its almost never brought up. It doent inform his character arc or play into the other plots, like OG Cable's did in the 90s. None of the stuff you mention really matters right now. They have simplified him as he's been distilled down to Scott and Jean's kid. A new reader doesnt need to know anything about the character's past or that future timeline to get him and what they are currently doing

That’s a good point. Many of the best 90s Cable runs weren’t so saddled with it either. Where they went wrong was making him all about his origin, and acting like there was nothing else to do with the character besides pitting him against Apocalypse and/or making him all about time travel/protecting the timeline. That’d be like telling nothing but stories involving Weapon X with Wolverine, and only dealing with his past. Sure, it’s a well they go back to a lot. But it’s not the only stories they tell involving the character. Not by a long shot.

Having said that, the March solicitation for Cable seems to be dealing with his past... er, his future. Coming back to haunt him. *Sigh*

Even with this new version, they repeat the same old mistakes. SMDH.

BANNED

That’s a good point. Many of the best 90s Cable runs weren’t so saddled with it either. Where they went wrong was making him all about his origin, and acting like there was nothing else to do with the character besides pitting him against Apocalypse and/or making him all about time travel/protecting the timeline. That’d be like telling nothing but stories involving Weapon X with Wolverine, and only dealing with his past. Sure, it’s a well they go back to a lot. But it’s not the only stories they tell involving the character. Not by a long shot.

Having said that, the March solicitation for Cable seems to be dealing with his past... er, his future. Coming back to haunt him. *Sigh*

Even with this new version, they repeat the same old mistakes. SMDH.
    Does this mean that Adult Nathan never traveled to the far-flung future to save his sister from the clutches of Gaunt?

Not yet he hasn’t. In the case of Kid Cable. But he will.

BANNED

Not yet he hasn’t. In the case of Kid Cable. But he will.
    That doesn't track well... Nathan was born years ago in this time period, infected with the T.O. virus, transported to and grew up in the future. His return to his actual present prematurely negates all that's happened in that possible future including the existence of the Order of Witnesses, Clan Askani, and Clan Chosen respectively.
    Last edited by Micabe; 12-29-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    That doesn't track well... Nathan was born years ago in this time period -- but was transported and grew up in the future. His return to the past prematurely negates all that's happened in that possible future including the existence of Clan Askani (Earth-4935).
    ? How? He's a meeting with access to time travel technology. It's pretty much confirmed that this is OG cable just as a kid.

There's no discrepancy considering this portion of his life is largely unexplored.

BANNED

I reworded my previous post and added the relevant links. My point is -- if Rachel and especially Nathan (as a teenager no less) are currently in the here and now -- Krakoa and Arakko (Okkara), resurrection, and all else that has recently transpired means Earth-4935 will not come to pass.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    I reworded my previous post and added the relevant links. My point is -- if Rachel and especially Nathan (as a teenager no less) are currently in the here and now -- Krakoa and Arakko (Okkara), resurrection, and all else that has recently transpired means Earth-4935 will not come to pass.
    Eh I think you're thinking about it a little bit too hard it's a classic Trope that doctor who uses all the time and it's the same truck that was used in EXtermination. Basically as long as kid cable returns to his proper place in the time stream I don't see it mucking up any of the events to come.

Basically even Kid Cable still has to live through all of the events that OM Cable did.
    Last edited by loke13; 12-29-2020 at 01:14 AM.

BANNED

But, Nathan is in his proper place within the time stream give or take a dozen years or so.