View Poll Results: Who are some of your fav NXM?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wind Dancer

    61 25.42%
  • Surge

    83 34.58%
  • Hellion

    119 49.58%
  • Prodigy

    58 24.17%
  • Anole

    80 33.33%
  • Rockslide

    68 28.33%
  • Pixie

    106 44.17%
  • Dust

    93 38.75%
  • Mercury

    83 34.58%
  • Elixir

    71 29.58%
  • Gentle

    42 17.50%
  • Armor

    63 26.25%
  • Loa

    51 21.25%
  • Trance

    39 16.25%
  • Bling!

    37 15.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 78 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1262
  1. #1156
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Although it makes more sense for the blonde girl welcoming Wind Dancer back to be Wallflower, the fact she has pig-tails which are a standard look for Rubbermaid in NXAX made me think it might’ve been her.
    No, it was Laurie. That dress and hair style were from this cover. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/wallflower/4005-40535/

  2. #1157
    Incredible Member Kingdom X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    You know, i don't care if she is straight, bi or lesbian i will like the character regardless but is it really too much to ask for some ACTUAL development (character or otherwise) and not what you say happened.

    I'm probably n the minority of this but I can't help but feel frustrated that this has happened on multiple occasions with characters i like.

    Oh but what does it matter in the end we won't see any of them together in who knows how long and even if we do will it meaningful?
    Weren’t there also hints that she likes girls in the Pixie miniseries? It seems like the foundation was all there but no one actually took the time to develop the relationship on screen. I feel like Strain would have if that book wasn’t cancelled.

  3. #1158
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Weren’t there also hints that she likes girls in the Pixie miniseries? It seems like the foundation was all there but no one actually took the time to develop the relationship on screen. I feel like Strain would have if that book wasn’t cancelled.
    Strain had 12 issues but spent most of them on the white boys Quentin and Ben, she had her chance and she made her choice

  4. #1159
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    12,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Weren’t there also hints that she likes girls in the Pixie miniseries? It seems like the foundation was all there but no one actually took the time to develop the relationship on screen. I feel like Strain would have if that book wasn’t cancelled.
    Any story where the character's perceptions and identity are being affected by mind control or other means of artificial inducement (drugs, etc.) ought to be considered AU as far as any sort of character revelations are concerned, unless you can EXPLICITLY separate out what is part of the character, and what is part of the illusion. IIRC, nothing in Pixie Strikes Back suggests that Mercury being interested in women was anything more than part of the illusion the girls were trapped in.

    The whole Mercury/Bling! thing was pretty much in the same vein as "Bobby, you're gay." There was no development or buildup to it. The writer just declared it to be. For a brand-new character whose identity is still being revealed is one thing, but to do it with an established character is NOT good writing.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!

    Pull List: N/A

  5. #1160
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    For the longest time, I must admit, I was under the (mis)apprehension that Mercury was settling on Bling(!) because she was the first(?) person to demonstrate romantic/physical attraction TO Cessily, and so she was at a point in her life that she just kind of went with it to see how it would go. That's a super sad and cynical perspective, I know, so I am hopeful this continues to blossom and subsequently wash away the previous nonsense narrative that was built in my brain.

  6. #1161
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    I don't mind that Cessily is bi, she's young she's still figuring things out, it's not unreasonable for her to figure out she's attracted to women. Dating Bling! after their unfortunate start is a whole other issue...

    My main problem with the pairing is that it hasn't been developed at all, people are so desperate for some queer women rep in comics that they'll take whatever measly crumbs are offered. And then twist themselves into justifying why its a good pairing when it just comes down to "they're both shiny skinned girls"

    It's almost exactly like Julie Power and Karolina Dean. Those two dated for years but most of their relationship took place off panel, none of the writers bothered exploring their relationship until it was over. So the entire basis of their relationship was "two rainbow girls who look pretty when they fly next to each other"

  7. #1162
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    12,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I don't mind that Cessily is bi, she's young she's still figuring things out, it's not unreasonable for her to figure out she's attracted to women. Dating Bling! after their unfortunate start is a whole other issue...

    My main problem with the pairing is that it hasn't been developed at all, people are so desperate for some queer women rep in comics that they'll take whatever measly crumbs are offered. And then twist themselves into justifying why its a good pairing when it just comes down to "they're both shiny skinned girls"

    It's almost exactly like Julie Power and Karolina Dean. Those two dated for years but most of their relationship took place off panel, none of the writers bothered exploring their relationship until it was over. So the entire basis of their relationship was "two rainbow girls who look pretty when they fly next to each other"
    This is my problem exactly with characters being declared LGBTQ+ without development, and the queer community taking offense when people object because <insert OOC justification about representation here>. When you try to argue about character development and buildup, the inevitable response is "People are just gay so it shouldn't matter." Even though IRL, sometimes it MAY take years for a queer person to recognize themselves as queer.

    The recent coming out of Elliot Page as trans is a good example: When he first broke out as an actor, IIRC he identified as a straight female, before shifting bi, and then lesbian. Now he identifies as male (I would presume hetero male, but TBH I just get confused keeping track of all the different variations, especially once transgenderism gets involved). This is over the course of almost 15 years to find his identity (maybe longer, since we won't know much about his identity struggles prior to becoming a public figure). So the idea that you can just out a character without actually laying any ground work (IE KYost's declaration of X-23 being gay "all along"...even though he only ever wrote her as attracted to a male character) is not only absurd from a NARRATIVE sense, but from simply the real-life process.

    And yet if you try to bring that up, suddenly you're homo/trans/whatever-phobic for objecting.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!

    Pull List: N/A

  8. #1163
    Amazing Member lunarmagik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52

    Default

    I don't think most characters that have had barely any relationship need that much of a justification for being queer. Cessily and Blings start is a bit rocky, but then in the X-women book they were shown in a sort of will they-won't they dynamic, at the end of it I think Cessily has a mostly positive impression of Bling, and I would say she looked interested.
    Then in Generation X they are shown to be a thing, and now they are still a thing.
    Would it be nice to have a little more development? Sure, but Cessily's relationship with Bling doesn't comes out of nowhere.

    Laura or Dani Moonstar would probably need some development because they have been shown to have straight relationships(Dani, I think, even saying she's straight). Even so, I would argue that Laura's case is a bit of a question mark since she has just liked who she liked, if next, she likes a girl I don't think it's a big deal, her experience is pretty outside of the norm, she's a murder machine.

  9. #1164
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This is my problem exactly with characters being declared LGBTQ+ without development, and the queer community taking offense when people object because <insert OOC justification about representation here>. When you try to argue about character development and buildup, the inevitable response is "People are just gay so it shouldn't matter." Even though IRL, sometimes it MAY take years for a queer person to recognize themselves as queer.

    The recent coming out of Elliot Page as trans is a good example: When he first broke out as an actor, IIRC he identified as a straight female, before shifting bi, and then lesbian. Now he identifies as male (I would presume hetero male, but TBH I just get confused keeping track of all the different variations, especially once transgenderism gets involved). This is over the course of almost 15 years to find his identity (maybe longer, since we won't know much about his identity struggles prior to becoming a public figure). So the idea that you can just out a character without actually laying any ground work (IE KYost's declaration of X-23 being gay "all along"...even though he only ever wrote her as attracted to a male character) is not only absurd from a NARRATIVE sense, but from simply the real-life process.

    And yet if you try to bring that up, suddenly you're homo/trans/whatever-phobic for objecting.
    That is what happens when folks are so desperate for anything.

    Or they expect you to be HAPPY with crumbs. Because they fear said development might take away from who they like (see the war of Green Lanterns for example).

    Take Prodigy. He claims to be bi. I would LOVE to see an issue be devoted to him about how or what lead up to that.

    Could it be a manifest of his powers? Knowing what everyone has learned or know might including knowing their feelings.

    Now some will scream they don't want a book like that.

    Well.... NOTHING says you can't devote a BACKUP (4-5 pages) for say 6 issues on it and maybe toss it out as a one shot. I mean there are ways to do it.

  10. #1165
    Hi, Sage. nandes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This is my problem exactly with characters being declared LGBTQ+ without development, and the queer community taking offense when people object because <insert OOC justification about representation here>. When you try to argue about character development and buildup, the inevitable response is "People are just gay so it shouldn't matter." Even though IRL, sometimes it MAY take years for a queer person to recognize themselves as queer.

    The recent coming out of Elliot Page as trans is a good example: When he first broke out as an actor, IIRC he identified as a straight female, before shifting bi, and then lesbian. Now he identifies as male (I would presume hetero male, but TBH I just get confused keeping track of all the different variations, especially once transgenderism gets involved). This is over the course of almost 15 years to find his identity (maybe longer, since we won't know much about his identity struggles prior to becoming a public figure). So the idea that you can just out a character without actually laying any ground work (IE KYost's declaration of X-23 being gay "all along"...even though he only ever wrote her as attracted to a male character) is not only absurd from a NARRATIVE sense, but from simply the real-life process.

    And yet if you try to bring that up, suddenly you're homo/trans/whatever-phobic for objecting.
    Queer, LGBTQI+ people have their own journey of discovering their own identity in real life because heterosexuality and the gender binary are treated as the norm, the default form of sexual orientation and gender identity. The argument that LGBTQI+ characters need a "reason" to exist is considered homophobic because it again assumes the heterosexuality is again the only possible sexuality for any existing characters, as if it's not possible in real life, like you said, for anyone to discover and experience their own sexuality be it in their teens or later in life.

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is what happens when folks are so desperate for anything.

    Or they expect you to be HAPPY with crumbs. Because they fear said development might take away from who they like (see the war of Green Lanterns for example).

    Take Prodigy. He claims to be bi. I would LOVE to see an issue be devoted to him about how or what lead up to that.

    Could it be a manifest of his powers? Knowing what everyone has learned or know might including knowing their feelings.

    Now some will scream they don't want a book like that.

    Well.... NOTHING says you can't devote a BACKUP (4-5 pages) for say 6 issues on it and maybe toss it out as a one shot. I mean there are ways to do it.
    Kieron Gillen, the queer writer of second volume of Young Avengers, wrote exactly what you're asking in the same issue where Prodigy came out.
    Last edited by nandes; 12-03-2020 at 08:58 AM.

  11. #1166
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This is my problem exactly with characters being declared LGBTQ+ without development, and the queer community taking offense when people object because <insert OOC justification about representation here>. When you try to argue about character development and buildup, the inevitable response is "People are just gay so it shouldn't matter." Even though IRL, sometimes it MAY take years for a queer person to recognize themselves as queer.

    The recent coming out of Elliot Page as trans is a good example: When he first broke out as an actor, IIRC he identified as a straight female, before shifting bi, and then lesbian. Now he identifies as male (I would presume hetero male, but TBH I just get confused keeping track of all the different variations, especially once transgenderism gets involved). This is over the course of almost 15 years to find his identity (maybe longer, since we won't know much about his identity struggles prior to becoming a public figure). So the idea that you can just out a character without actually laying any ground work (IE KYost's declaration of X-23 being gay "all along"...even though he only ever wrote her as attracted to a male character) is not only absurd from a NARRATIVE sense, but from simply the real-life process.

    And yet if you try to bring that up, suddenly you're homo/trans/whatever-phobic for objecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is what happens when folks are so desperate for anything.

    Or they expect you to be HAPPY with crumbs. Because they fear said development might take away from who they like (see the war of Green Lanterns for example).

    Take Prodigy. He claims to be bi. I would LOVE to see an issue be devoted to him about how or what lead up to that.

    Could it be a manifest of his powers? Knowing what everyone has learned or know might including knowing their feelings.

    Now some will scream they don't want a book like that.

    Well.... NOTHING says you can't devote a BACKUP (4-5 pages) for say 6 issues on it and maybe toss it out as a one shot. I mean there are ways to do it.
    Keep in mind this kind of shit is never expected for straight/cis characters. Maybe if you’re straight, be quiet. Just shhhh for me.

  12. #1167
    Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Keep in mind this kind of shit is never expected for straight/cis characters. Maybe if you’re straight, be quiet. Just shhhh for me.
    Most people aren't batman.
    I don't feel the need to know why someone is not batman.
    If someone who previously was not batman, suddenly becomes batman, i'd kinda want a brief explanation into how it happened.

  13. #1168
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    Most people aren't batman.
    I don't feel the need to know why someone is not batman.
    If someone who previously was not batman, suddenly becomes batman, i'd kinda want a brief explanation into how it happened.
    I may have misunderstood the intent of this post but I laughed out loud so I'm gonna inquire...

    The title of Batman and homosexuality are now interchangeable? haha

    These are WILD TIMES I tell you, WILD!!!

    ...or are they?

  14. #1169
    Incredible Member Kingdom X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    Most people aren't batman.
    I don't feel the need to know why someone is not batman.
    If someone who previously was not batman, suddenly becomes batman, i'd kinda want a brief explanation into how it happened.
    This mentality kinda only works if the only options are straight and gay. There were people up in arms about Prodigy being bi and about Kitty having a bi moment (I’m saying moment because if the writer doesn’t do anything after that one kiss then that’s all it’ll be) even though nothing about them ALSO liking the same sex contradicts previous stories.

  15. #1170
    Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    519

    Default

    My main point was that these characters have no life outside the page.
    Is your going to have them go through, these massive character changes, at least show, don't just tell.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •