View Poll Results: Who are some of your fav NXM?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wind Dancer

61 25.42%
  • Surge

83 34.58%
  • Hellion

119 49.58%
  • Prodigy

58 24.17%
  • Anole

80 33.33%
  • Rockslide

68 28.33%
  • Pixie

106 44.17%
  • Dust

93 38.75%
  • Mercury

83 34.58%
  • Elixir

71 29.58%
  • Gentle

42 17.50%
  • Armor

63 26.25%
  • Loa

51 21.25%
  • Trance

39 16.25%
  • Bling!

37 15.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    So Marvel is pretty much wiping away any last vestiges of the fact that the New X-Men have been through serious ****.
    They've been more or less ignoring it for the better part of a decade

They don't lose what they've been through. Unless they choose to. But we don't know what the characters chose.

I feel like they come back with everything they have experienced.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    ?????

spoilers:
    How are y’all not talking about Icarus being back?? Our red-winged king is confirmed to be back in the land of the living (and probably saw her sister getting stomped out by •—[A]—•
    end of spoilers

oh also

spoilers:
    Aero is back!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Thought that might happen as soon as she appeared in Fearless. That book was probably setting it up. Though I wonder if she'll ever meet the Agents of Atlas? How would the two Aeros react to someone else using the same name?
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

knowing Hellion's luck...he'd beat Apocalypse in the arena XD
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    They don't lose what they've been through. Unless they choose to. But we don't know what the characters chose.

I feel like they come back with everything they have experienced.

But that's just me.
    As Beetle pointed out, Marvel's been quietly wiping all of the NXM trauma out of continuity for years. Now they're wiping out the two biggest chunks by undoing the fifty kids on the Bus AND Decimation.

Do you REALLY think that Marvel is going to continue to acknowledge the hell the NXM went through now?

Now look what they made me do. They made me meme Star Trek V.

Hey the Krakoa era is giving us back Prodigy in the forefront. Laura has something going on with the Vault

spoilers:
    And actually bringing back Jay and repowering Melody is huge.
    end of spoilers

I'll trade in the bus for more storytelling opportunities like that

As Beetle pointed out, Marvel's been quietly wiping all of the NXM trauma out of continuity for years. Now they're wiping out the two biggest chunks by undoing the fifty kids on the Bus AND Decimation.

Do you REALLY think that Marvel is going to continue to acknowledge the hell the NXM went through now?

Now look what they made me do. They made me meme Star Trek V.
    But its not wiped out. The characters still experienced it. It's still part of their history.

Any writer can mention it and bring it up. But characters will not constantly go back to that. Even us real people we remember what we went through. But we don't constantly bring it to the forefront of our lives.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Hey the Krakoa era is giving us back Prodigy in the forefront. Laura has something going on with the Vault

spoilers:
    And actually bringing back Jay and repowering Melody is huge.
    end of spoilers

I'll trade in the bus for more storytelling opportunities like that
    Oh please. If you think spoilers:
    Jay and Melody
    end of spoilers are going to be any more than wallpaper then I've got a bridge to sell you. Because we've sure seen a lot of Tag lately, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    But its not wiped out. The characters still experienced it. It's still part of their history.

Any writer can mention it and bring it up. But characters will not constantly go back to that. Even us real people we remember what we went through. But we don't constantly bring it to the forefront of our lives.
    After everything Marvel has done to downplay and ignore it already, if you really believe it's ever going to be mentioned again then I've got a bridge for YOU, too.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I enjoyed the issue. Jay being back is nice (I guess), but I definitely respected the use of Melody. Any de-powered mutant could have been used to demonstrate Crucible, but considering her family I think it made a lot of sense. I doubt either will go on to do much, but there's a sea of unused mutants so I'm not going to sneeze at some of the NXM (and adjacent characters) having respectable page time in the main title.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Oh please. If you think spoilers:
    Jay and Melody
    end of spoilers are going to be any more than wallpaper then I've got a bridge to sell you. Because we've sure seen a lot of Tag lately, right?

After everything Marvel has done to downplay and ignore it already, if you really believe it's ever going to be mentioned again then I've got a bridge for YOU, too.
    I'm good on bridges. Thanks.

I'm glad that they're back. I'm glad that they can be repowered.

I don't think this erases what the characters have been through.

Also if you an New X-Men fan. It doesnt really matter if they don't mention it.

We know what they went through. And we bring it to the stories we read that they are involved in.

For example: I saw Jay and remembered damn he went through all that stuff with the Purifiers. And now he's back. Cool.

I just don't expect much from the New X-Men anymore

Will their victory over Nimrod be referenced when Krakoa inevitably has to face him? Probably not.
    Will they get to volunteer for a mission against the Purifiers? Unlikely
    Will anyone remember that Pixie is more than a mode of transport? Doubtful

I stopped expecting much from them about 3 "next generation of X-Men" classes ago

At this I'm content to just sit back and be pleasantly surprised when they something good does happen for them, when they actually get to show up. It's less stressful that way

honestly Jay could have stayed dead for all I cared....

I'd trade him for Hawks from MHA any day of the week...
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

I’m glad the Guthrie’s are back. I always wished they’d done more with Melody. Her power might seem inoffensive but she could be developed further. Technically her power is the generation of an aura, we’ve only seen that used for flight but that aura could be used in offensive ways too. However, despite the burst of exposure she’s had in Fearless and the A-Story (and first candidate of the Crucible) in X-Men #7, I fully expect the writers will let her fade into obscurity again.

We’d be fools to think that Melody wasn’t the selected depowered mutant simply based on the fact she carries the Guthrie name. Without that connection to Sam and Paige, she wouldn’t have been the focal character for the introduction of the Crucible.

Her story was beautiful, tragic and empowering though. It’s the best showing of her as a character that we’ve ever seen. It most certainly wasn’t out of character either. She threw herself from a roof to kickstart her powers when she lost them and had to be saved by Beast. She risked her life at Camp Gloriana to protect others. Melody has always been a risk taker and her self-sacrifice to restore herself was fitting for the (admittedly little) character she’s displayed in the past.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I’m glad the Guthrie’s are back. I always wished they’d done more with Melody. Her power might seem inoffensive but she could be developed further. Technically her power is the generation of an aura, we’ve only seen that used for flight but that aura could be used in offensive ways too.
    One way to differentiate her from other fliers, and to provide her with some unusual utility, if she could by touch create similar aura around another person or object temporarily, allowing it to fly. If it's a person, with a will of their own, they might be able to interact with the psionic aura, and control/direct their own flight, as if she'd, for a short time, given them the power to fly. (Like Graviton did with some flunkies, back in the Thunderbolts, turning them into flying 'sky pirates.') The aura might have other properties as well, affecting the air around them, allowing them to breathe at great heights, ignore the chill and friction of flight, etc. and, with development, she might be able to modify the aura to work on *water* as well as air, giving herself, or another person touched, the power to breathe underwater and move at great speed underwater.

She's got some fun potential to be much more than just 'flying mutant #732.'

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the zone where I'm happy to have all of New X-Men in Complete Collections and can't really see myself getting more than that.

Now I just try to sit back and enjoy whatever small morsels of content are given out. Even if that's in small roles, cameos or, yeah, as wallpaper (Begging Leah writes Mercury into the background of an X-Factor scene). Like it's not like Marvel had a deep, insightful mini-series lined up to unpack all the New X-Men's trauma, so holding onto that piece of history and never doing anything with it, just stands in the way of telling stories like this issue.

And this was a B I G issue for Melody. Cyke/Nightcrawler deal with the philosophical core of what's going on, but the emotional drive is all Melody. I really dug this issue. Possibly the most I've enjoyed a comic since the big ceremony in HoX/PoX. And I'm glad to trade the bus for this issue. Which I don't say lightly, considering I think I've previously talked about how the bus was what got me back into comics and onto this board in particular.

I was sad that the Sam and Jay reunion happened off-panel tho. I felt like the end of Hickman's last New Mutants was setting that up nicely. Anyone for a She Lies With Angels reread??