Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Well then obviously you didn't read Generation X and you don't know what you're talking about.
    I didn't read it. I started comics in the 2000's. Genx X has Emma, Monet, and Jubille (love them all) but that book was boring (the few times I've read on and off issues). Despite never reading that book, Monet still popped out as a superstar. Sync does not. If he was interesting on his own, I'd still know who he was without ever reading his origins. With Monet, I was interested in her despite only knowing she was in Gen X at the time (I skipped XFACTOR an caught up with her in Uncanny Xmen by Bunn).

He's like Doug. Sure, he can be written well under the right pen, but we all know Doug isn't going to get this much story/respect once Hickman is out because his personality and powers don't lead to an A-list level status.

Speaking of Doug, unlike the Gen X cast, the New Mutants cast is pretty much a homerun with every character.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 12-01-2020 at 11:24 AM.

She was literally paired up with every guy on the cast except the ones dating each other. PAD has many problematic quirks...

Storm has only had 2 relationships among her teammates, decades apart which are rather incomparable, and one with T'Challa that was explicitly a matter of trade(Hudlin offered a cartoon on BET, so Marvel gave him Storm), which was definitely messed up.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

I'm a big Monet fan, and I've never cared to read her XFactor run. Based on what I've heard from other Monet fans, she had no agency and was just treated as a body, so in that sense the "passed around" comment sounds more like a critique on the writers than Monet's sexuality. But bringing up Storm as the pure example for her only having "two" (she's had more) significant relationships is concerning. One of Storm's two significant relationships was with a woman. The same people who would brand Monet as "passed around" for having slept with three men would also brand Storm as a sinner for Yukio.

I think Yukio and Ororo's relationship is understated to the extent that she doesn't count the same way. I would welcome further exploration between them, but especially after Pak's last story, it's not looking very promising on that front.

I think M or Storm should have as many lovers as they fancy, of whatever gender expression they wish, I just found PAD's treatment of M completely off.

She was literally paired up with every guy on the cast except the ones dating each other. PAD has many problematic quirks...
    There were eight male characters in X-Factor. Monet slept with only two of them (once each) and went on a date with the other that went nowhere. That's it. Their are X-women who have slept with far more men that aren't subject to this type of slut-shaming. You're trying to pass yourself off as "woke" but just showing yourself to be ignorant, both when it comes to sexuality and how Monet's relationships were actually written in X-Factor.

Storm has only had 2 relationships among her teammates, decades apart which are rather incomparable, and one with T'Challa that was explicitly a matter of trade(Hudlin offered a cartoon on BET, so Marvel gave him Storm), which was definitely messed up.
    You claimed Monet was being passed around because guys find her attractive. Given how many men frequently commented on Storm's looks, especially under Claremont, she would qualify as well.

Either way, your comments on Monet are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I'm a big Monet fan, and I've never cared to read her XFactor run. Based on what I've heard from other Monet fans, she had no agency and was just treated as a body, so in that sense the "passed around" comment sounds more like a critique on the writers than Monet's sexuality. But bringing up Storm as the pure example for her only having "two" (she's had more) significant relationships is concerning. One of Storm's two significant relationships was with a woman. The same people who would brand Monet as "passed around" for having slept with three men would also brand Storm as a sinner for Yukio.
    I'd say the issues with Monet in X-Factor would apply more to her Muslim faith rather than "lack of agency" (I don't think those fans are using that phrase correctly). The "passed around" critique is uncalled for nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    David did give her a reason for her behavior.

From issue #13

Gah that was sooo random and an easy layup of a characterization. If get 'Alpha Bitch' persona is a reaction to her being trapped in the Penance shell what was the twins inspiration in their portrayal of her?
    Well then obviously you didn't read Generation X and you don't know what you're talking about.
    lol Right!!
    It was PAD who passed her around. He had all the boys gawking at M sunbathing on the roof. He wrote the messy hookup with Madrox. He killed her for Strong Guy to have something to do. He passed her to Darwin. I didn't do that. He did. I'm just telling it how it is. The only two guys on the team he didn't hook her up with were too busy hooking up with each other. PAD's X-Factor was a mess(all of them, 90's too).
    lol All this too too true. PADs M was hot hot mess to tho..I felt she was there to break up the homogeneity of the roster and for the male teammates to dip into a lil light caramel. Her random Muslim identity...."Tanning" ugh This sh!t had me cracking up tho lol
    Sleeping with two guys and going on a date with one is not being passed around. Nor is having guys notice she's attractive. By your logic, Storm gets "passed around" as well. He also did not hook her up with Longshot and Havok either and the only person who gawked at her sunbathing was Pip who got tossed off the roof for it.

What is this, the 50s? We're really going to act like sleeping with a grand total of two men is her being passed around? Come on.
    Who was the teammate Storm was smashing at the same time as another teammate?!?
    And ehhh if there's 3 dudes in the group and you sleep with 2 and date the other one.....
    I didn't read it. I started comics in the 2000's. Genx X has Emma, Monet, and Jubille (love them all) but that book was boring (the few times I've read on and off issues). Despite never reading that book, Monet still popped out as a superstar. Sync does not. If he was interesting on his own, I'd still know who he was without ever reading his origins. With Monet, I was interested in her despite only knowing she was in Gen X at the time (I skipped XFACTOR an caught up with her in Uncanny Xmen by Bunn).
    Soooo like what all have you read that she was in???
    He's like Doug. Sure, he can be written well under the right pen, but we all know Doug isn't going to get this much story/respect once Hickman is out because his personality and powers don't lead to an A-list level status.
    Huh? Madrox inPADs First mini and early XFactor(vol2) is an example of what a character can become with the right writer. But Synch is an interesting char in his own right. Not too many black dudes in the XMen get someone writing him that can explore the intersectionality of Being Young Black Mutant and Male and interest will spark. Doug was already a getting shine before Hickman
    Speaking of Doug, unlike the Gen X cast, the New Mutants cast is pretty much a homerun with every character.
    I meeeeeeean how many times have the GenXers gotten to shine? How many books or minis have rgry had? The one?
    Ok
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Gah that was sooo random and an easy layup of a characterization. If get 'Alpha Bitch' persona is a reaction to her being trapped in the Penance shell what was the twins inspiration in their portrayal of her?
    They were kids creating a persona of what they thought their sister was?

Who was the teammate Storm was smashing at the same time as another teammate?!?
    What the hell are you talking about? Monet was not sleeping with two guys at a time.

And ehhh if there's 3 dudes in the group and you sleep with 2 and date the other one.....
    That is nothing. X-Men date within the team all the time.

Also, why do you keep dragging out letters in your comments?

They were kids creating a persona of what they thought their sister was?
    That fooled their Dad into thinking his favorite was still around and the Governess

What the hell are you talking about? Monet was not sleeping with two guys at a time.
    Madrox and Darwin were on XFactor right? I'd consider within the Time frame of the book they were on the same team.

That is nothing. X-Men date within the team all the time.
    True but I can't think of a X-Men who was on the same active roster as 2 people they smashed unless Madrox and his dupe be the same person. Even still it seemed like M was the loser in all her pairings since Synch
    TAlso, why do you keep dragging out letters in your comments?
    I type the way I talk (informal situations)
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Madrox was PAD's self insert. Guy slept with all the women on the X-Factor team. lol

And we can't forget Mardox's dick being the only thing that gave Monet happiness. HA!!! and PUKE!!!

Then two other guys claiming to love her because they saw her nude on Vanity Fair, with one guy carrying around a topless photo of her. Darwin & Guido came off as obsessed & creepy rather than legit love interests. I'm having flashbacks of Spike.

Speaking of that. Monet dies, comes back from the dead a bigger mess than usually, gets into a fight with Darwin, rejects his "love", then screws him to feel something again. Spuffy 2.0 here. But least that ended after 1 night and we didn't have to spend ages of her screwing Darwin.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 12-01-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Madrox was PAD's self insert. Guy slept with all the women on the X-Factor team. lol

And we can't forget Mardox's dick being the only thing that gave Monet happiness. HA!!! and PUKE!!!

Then two other guys claiming to love her because they saw her nude on Vanity Fair, with one guy carrying around a topless photo of her. Darwin & Guido came off as obsessed & creepy rather than legit love interests. I'm having flashbacks of Spike.

Speaking of that. Monet dies, comes back from the dead a bigger mess than usually, gets into a fight with Darwin, rejects his "love", then screws him to feel something again. Spuffy 2.0 here. But least that ended after 1 night and we didn't have to spend ages of her screwing Darwin.
    Uggggh
    I can't. eFFin'. STAND. Spike
    Damn almost made me forreal mad lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Soooo like what all have you read that she was in???
    I became an XMEN fan during the 90's. Went heavy into collecting cards, and lots of my faves (who were never on the cartoon) came from there. I looked into Gen X comics in the 2000's, but found it too boring since besides Emma, Monet and Jubilee, every GenX character bores or annoys me.

I then started reading about her during Wood's XMEN run. Followed her into Bunn's series (she was my fave on there) and have been keeping an eye one her since waiting for her to breakout cause she's clearly A-list material storyline wise.

Huh? Madrox inPADs First mini and early XFactor(vol2) is an example of what a character can become with the right writer. But Synch is an interesting char in his own right. Not too many black dudes in the XMen get someone writing him that can explore the intersectionality of Being Young Black Mutant and Male and interest will spark. Doug was already a getting shine before Hickman
    What? Madrox is A-list? What has he had since XFactor? (a book that apparently sucked for non-Maddrox fans).Doug is A-list as well? You think any common X-fan outside this board knows who he is? Lol. He's the most forgettable out of the New Mutants crowd. Had to be merged with Warlock to be made interesting. And outside, his initial run and Hickman's personal interest, writers do nothing with him.

I meeeeeeean how many times have the GenXers gotten to shine? How many books or minis have rgry had? The one?
    So? You don't hear these excuses when it comes to New Mutants/New X-Men characters. Many of them became popular despite getting screwed if not named Magik/Laura. Gen X isn't that interesting.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 12-01-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post

No prize answer? That white woman in X-Factor was not Monet

So? You don't hear these excuses when it comes to New Mutants/New X-Men characters. Many of them became popular despite getting screwed if not named Magik/Laura. Gen X isn't that interesting.
    its hard to take your opinion on it seriously, when you've admitted that you havent read it
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-01-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No prize answer? That white woman in X-Factor was not Monet