Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    Love the fact that they reminded us of her intelligence. She came up with a plan that Beast and Forge couldn't come up with. Thank you whoever the giant sized Storm writer is.
    It's Hickman. He had also pointed out her high intelligence in HoX

Monet's such a b-tch...lol love her

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

You be nice to Bambi Monet! Lmao

I love the dichotomy of her being rude, but still swooping in to save a vulnerable friend.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    They coulda told a better story and left poor Penny her own damn character
    I genuinely don't understand how people are hung up about penance when she was never an actual character. Yes lobdell original draft was for penance to be her own character but it got dropped (the way manny drafts and original plans don't make it to the final cut), so for me its like like people wishing the black cat instead of Storm was the character we saw in giant sized x-men simply because Cockrum created the black cat first who was originally supposed to be Ororo. Monet along with Jubilee were the heart and glue that held generation x together, without Monet (and Jubs) the book literally carry out for 75 issue if she stopped existing at #36. There's a reason why the issues without Monet are practically all fillers.

The real tragedy of gen x was blink dying at the end of the phalanx covenant. I know it's supposed to be a callback to giant sized x-men with her death carrying more emotions than Thunderbird gratuitous death did, but I still wish she got to stuck around.

Did you notice that Monet explained the psychic trap in Polaris' mind, and Rachel was like 'Well, you're powers couldn't get through, but let a real telepath give it a shot'
    ...and then got swatted by Saturnyne anyway!
    They stay underestimating Ms. St Croix

*Before anybody starts, I know they had Rachel try because she's the regular cast member in X-Factor, I just think it's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I genuinely don't understand how people are hung up about penance when she was never an actual character. Yes lobdell original draft was for penance to be her own character but it got dropped (the way manny drafts and original plans don't make it to the final cut), so for me its like like people wishing the black cat instead of Storm was the character we saw in giant sized x-men simply because Cockrum created the black cat first who was originally supposed to be Ororo. Monet along with Jubilee were the heart and glue that held generation x together, without Monet (and Jubs) the book literally carry out for 75 issue if she stopped existing at #36. There's a reason why the issues without Monet are practically all fillers.

The real tragedy of gen x was blink dying at the end of the phalanx covenant. I know it's supposed to be a callback to giant sized x-men with her death carrying more emotions than Thunderbird gratuitous death did, but I still wish she got to stuck around.
    The thing is, the Monet change happened fourty issues into Gen-X, when plenty of people had already latched on Penance, who had a great design. Plus all the plans for the St.Croix family which were seemingly forever discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    The thing is, the Monet change happened fourty issues into Gen-X, when plenty of people had already latched on Penance, who had a great design. Plus all the plans for the St.Croix family which were seemingly forever discarded.
    What plans? Lobdell dropped the bomb and left. There was no set up for the chracter or the family after that. The twins very well couldnt return to the team as M once the secret was out as that would have been very problematic. Penance herself never got a backstory nor was her connection to M fully explained or explored. All we was that she was a former victim of Emplate. The Hama retcon kinda made sense of the crumbs that Lobdell had dropped and tied them together

What plans? Lobdell dropped the bomb and left. There was no set up for the chracter or the family after that. The twins very well couldnt return to the team as M once the secret was out as that would have been very problematic. Penance herself never got a backstory nor was her connection to M fully explained or explored. All we was that she was a former victim of Emplate. The Hama retcon kinda made sense of the crumbs that Lobdell had dropped and tied them together
    Before that. There were hints here and there that there was something going on with the Saint Croixes. Mostly on Gen-X#24. The insinuation was that the family had made a deal with something, I think. Plus M being trained in secret by Gateway... Penance having memories of a war-torn country, Emplate calling her Yvette, the details of how exactly M`s mom died... To me personally, at the time, the Hama retcon felt cheap. Like there was a bigger, better story that went untold.

Last edited by Leirus; 09-30-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Before that. There were hints here and there that there was something going on with the Saint Croixes. Mostly on Gen-X#24. The insinuation was that the family had made a deal with something, I think. Plus M being trained in secret by Gateway... Penance having memories of a war-torn country, Emplate calling her Yvette, the details of how exactly M`s mom died... To me personally, at the time, the Lama retcon felt cheap. Like there was a bigger, better story that went untold.
    Well yeah they were small hints here and there that the family had a secret but the only thing being dropped is that the family had a secret, it could have been anything from the family being broke, St Croix being a fake name, the family enrolled in a witness protection program to the siblings actually being natural blondes but they dye their hair brown. Lobdell outline doesn't make more sense then what Hamas wrote if you start thinking about it. Why would the twins start posing as some random girl and why would their dad and governess go along with it? How would extended family and friends react to the twins suddenly disappearing with this random 16 years old girl sprouting out of nowhere? And why is emplate, a rich boy who grew up in Monaco, doing in the eastern bloc? I doubt a region in a civil war with an ongoing genocide is the best place to look for mutant bone marrow.

Hamas retcon (if you even call it that given how it was just a plan that never got written in canon) was the best and most logical reveal given what he was working with, he just took it took far and it got too convoluted with the twins going into the penance form to replace Monet.

Monet wasn't even created by Lobdell, it was Bachalo who created her and brought her to life with Lobdell describing him as "her father" so I don't see why he gets the final say on what Monet was supposed to be a real person or not. Plus Monet not being actually real is too similar to Maddie Pryor original storyline.

What? Monet already existed and had established relationship and a role in the team while penance was a minor character with little to no information known about her. Hamas said "two beautiful young ladies stand before me but I only have one photo in my hands, and this photo represents the girl that is still in the running towards becoming generation x mainstay" and he picked Monet.

What? Monet already existed and had established relationship and a role in the team while penance was a minor character with little to no information known about her. Hamas said "two beautiful young ladies stand before me but I only have one photo in my hands, and this photo represents the girl that is still in the running towards becoming generation x mainstay" and he picked Monet.
    I mean the change that made Penance into some sort of husk instead of a real character. You are talking as if to have Monet you needed to delete Penance, and I do not think that was the case at all. In fact they sort of did something like that, when the Penance husk started to act on its own. Hama could have written M as merely trapped within Penence. Given that he gave the twins magical powers, it would not have been that weird.

Well yeah they were small hints here and there that the family had a secret but the only thing being dropped is that the family had a secret, it could have been anything from the family being broke, St Croix being a fake name, the family enrolled in a witness protection program to the siblings actually being natural blondes but they dye their hair brown. Lobdell outline doesn't make more sense then what Hamas wrote if you start thinking about it. Why would the twins start posing as some random girl and why would their dad and governess go along with it? How would extended family and friends react to the twins suddenly disappearing with this random 16 years old girl sprouting out of nowhere? And why is emplate, a rich boy who grew up in Monaco, doing in the eastern bloc? I doubt a region in a civil war with an ongoing genocide is the best place to look for mutant bone marrow.

Hamas retcon (if you even call it that given how it was just a plan that never got written in canon) was the best and most logical reveal given what he was working with, he just took it took far and it got too convoluted with the twins going into the penance form to replace Monet.

Monet wasn't even created by Lobdell, it was Bachalo who created her and brought her to life with Lobdell describing him as "her father" so I don't see why he gets the final say on what Monet was supposed to be a real person or not. Plus Monet not being actually real is too similar to Maddie Pryor original storyline.
    I do not think Lobdell intended the twins to be posing as anyone in particular, M was just as old as both twins together (8+8). The M thing in fact was just the anagram of two persons holding hands. Hama did the best he could to get a "real" Monet, because she was a great character and one of the most popular in Gen-X. And in that sense he did great. It is just a pity that he deleted Penance to do that.

I mean the change that made Penance into some sort of husk instead of a real character. You are talking as if to have Monet you needed to delete Penance, and I do not think that was the case at all. In fact they sort of did something like that, when the Penance husk started to act on its own. Hama could have written M as merely trapped within Penence. Given that he gave the twins magical powers, it would not have been that weird.
    Which IMO was worse. That was never explained and had zero characterization. Penance at that point was a joke and should have been taken out of the picture when the twins were freed from that prison

It makes even less sense now that the Penance form has been revealed as sort of another ability the St. Croixes have. They should have explained it right away or deleted her entirely.